Corsair 750 watt...what do you think

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I have that PSU and it is great, and it is not overkill. You should have enough juice to crossfire another 4870 when the time comes. Its a great power supply and has plenty of juice at a great price.

It's right on the money since you're getting a HD 4870 and a Crossfire motherboard. Excellent PSU, excellent price too.

There's a PC Power & Cooling 750W for $80 too. That's an even better PSU.

pooh_god

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
There's a PC Power & Cooling 750W for $80 too. That's an even better PSU.

I'm interested in this....looking into it now! Thanks for the help!

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
The corsair i can tell you its prolly the best PSU i've used in a while. The PP&C is defenately a worthy opponent but In my personal experience the corsairs stay at lower noise levels than the PP&C although you should see no difference on your rig.
Both are excelent PSUs and any of the two will be more than enough to power your rig and also expand to crossfire.

One problem i have with the 750tx corsairs is the massive amount of wires they have. (??like 10-12 sata power cables and 8 molex??) what percentage of home computers have more than 4 hard drives and sata dvd roms in total???
Thus you might find cable managment in smaller cases to be a bitch to handle. (not that it cannot be done.)

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I like the 750tx myself.

Other thoughts on an i7 psu setup:

I read an article a few weeks ago stating Intel wants people to use dual rail psu's for i7 systems. I don't know if it is true but the article convinced me enough to start looking around for other psu solution for my i7 plans.

Here is something from Intel's site @ http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/desktop/processor/processors/corei7/tech/406396.htm#pss

"The Intel Core i7 processor requires a minimum of 8 Amps continuous and 13 Amps peak for 10ms on 12V2"

If I read that properly it means it would prefer to use a separate 2nd rail (12v2) for the peaks.

That makes sense to keep a stable supply of power to the processor and let all the extra fluctuations happen somewhere else.

My initial thinking was to have a single rail psu for the mb, cpu, and such and then have a 2nd single rail psu to deliver extra power to the vid cards, fans and drives.

But if clean power for this cpu is that important then I need a multi rail psu; if my 12v1 peaks at 46amps itself (2 x 4870x2, lots of ram, i7 920 all overclocked) then I'd need a 90amp (1200watt * 80% efficiency?) psu. A big psu like that would have enough left over on the 2nd rail for me to power everything else. But I can't find a dual rail psu at that size, they seem to be single, quad or sext.

Here is a link to a site I've been gauging my psu requirements on:
http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php

When I consider all my fans, usb devices, drives and other hardware, I need a big psu or two smaller ones but I don't see a way I can satisfy i7's preference of a 2nd rail.

I assume people who have been oc'ing their i7 SLI/CF configs use giant single rail psus but if anyone has a big power draw set up without using a single rail psu please write how you designed your power layout.

pooh_god

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Woshitudou, thanks for the info some really interesting stuff in there on the setups. I don't think though since I'm not overclocking any of this I'll be safe with the single 12v rail but it is something I will consider.

aevm, I haven't bought one yet but if I have to go to my second choice it will be the RC-690. I'm holding out until the 30th in dire hopes that newegg will come through and have a couple 900's show up in stock. I appreciate all the feedback, your all helping me out and I appreciate it.