BIOS reports 0 Mb IDE Harddisk

G

Hello,
On my AMD based comp., I have a SATA 320 Gb harddisk that is my boot drive. I also have a IDE 320 Gb. Recently I was unable to access the IDE drive, and system response was slow. Entering BIOS setup, all storage devices are auto detect, and all that shows is "Hard disk" 0 Mb. for the drive. It previously showed capacity, model etc. Windows 7 device manager does not see the drive at all.
This drive has never given any hint of trouble, and was regularly defraged. Both drives are Western Digital

sturm

Splendid
Unplug and replug the drive. If that doesn't work try the drive in another system. If that doesn't work consider the drive dead.
You can try some file recovery programs to see if they might see it to get data off.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ +1 for sturm. Sometimes the only problem is a poor contact because of oxidation on metal in a connector. Disconnect the case power cord and open up. Unplugging and re-connecting a few times (carefully - don't want to force anything and break something) will usually clean that up if that is the problem. Do this at BOTH ends of the ribbon data cable, and also for the power input cable. When done, re-check the surroundings, just in case your work knocked something else loose, then close up and re-power.

annabell

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Hello,
On my AMD based comp., I have a SATA 320 Gb harddisk that is my boot drive. I also have a IDE 320 Gb. Recently I was unable to access the IDE drive, and system response was slow. Entering BIOS setup, all storage devices are auto detect, and all that shows is "Hard disk" 0 Mb. for the drive. It previously showed capacity, model etc. Windows 7 device manager does not see the drive at all.
This drive has never given any hint of trouble, and was regularly defraged. Both drives are Western Digital
Could be one of many things eg Firmware, Corrupt MBR have you thought about trying this tool?
http://hdd-tools.com/products/cr/download/crsetup.exe

nadeem_33

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

my hard disk is 80 GB it is working good with win xp no matter it is showing 0 mb in boot menu. But when i try to install win 7 there becomes a problem msg, that check your Bios controller menu. please guide me how to fix it.my e-mail id is nadeem.ismat@yahoo.com