Computer Powers Off Randomly

Ok. So for about 3 month to 4 months I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer.

It turns off randomly. It can happen when I’m playing games, when it’s booting up, or when it’s idle. I've always had a temperature graph, and I know it’s not working harder or temperatures are not increasing when it turns off (regardless I run it at like 20 degrees C cpu and mobo.)

Ok so I've run a mem86 or w/e its called test. That didn't find anything. I formatted the computer (about 2 moths ago) to see if it was software (but I’m pretty sure its not).

I'm afraid it might have to do with my motherboard/CPU, I’m running a 4-year (or older?) pc now. I'm running a p4 2.8 Prescott (not o/c) on an asus p4c800 mobo.

I’ve tried multiple power supplies so I’m sure that’s not the problem. I've tried changing the mobo battery and played around with the fans b/c I was getting odd times when the mobo wouldn't detect the cpu fan.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
10 answers Last reply
More about computer powers randomly
  1. I'd say power supplys, or maybe temps on northbridge.
  2. ^^ Yeah its most likely the power supply or NB. Try using a higher wattage power supply around 500W and see what happens. Also try placing a spot fan over the north bridge and see what happens. How long between cut offs?
  3. I'm using an enermax 450W powersupply its pretty good and keeps my voltage constant.

At some points in its life i probably over works the cpu. I think it was getting to 65 to 70 degrees C.

The cutoff happen very random, sometimes in 5 mins sometimes 2 days... :-/
  4. Four years old...if your like me and run the system 24/7 then the caps on the MB may be on the way out.
  5. Have you tried running a memory test you can download one from microsoft and burn it to cd. I know lots of ppl with the same problem and it usually is RAM.
  6. run the extended tests.
  7. I have the same problem. I am using an Acer Aspire laptop. Same here, doesn't matter how long it has been on or what I'm doing. It could happen on start up or after three days.
  8. Yeah I've ran the memtest86 and it didn't show. I'll try running the extended version? or is it in the settings? I'll look into it. Otherwise is there a better test that can be run? is the windows one better?

I kinda agree with you ZOldDude, I do keep it on all the time (I remote desktop from the office and other places) so it could be the caps or something else like that... (i looked at the caps and they look fine...)

Thanks for the comments guys.
  9. Yeah I've ran the memtest86 and it didn't show. I'll try running the extended version? or is it in the settings? I'll look into it. Otherwise is there a better test that can be run? is the windows one better?

I kinda agree with you ZOldDude, I do keep it on all the time (I remote desktop from the office and other places) so it could be the caps or something else like that... (i looked at the caps and they look fine...)

Thanks for the comments guys.
  10. I had a problem in the past where the voltage switch on the PSU was set incorrectly. It was set to 240v or whatever when it should have been set to 120v. Dell support didn't even suggest checking this and it ended up being the fix to my problem. My pc would reboot randomly; when my mom turned on\off her hair drier, sometimes when loading memory intensive stuff, and sometimes without any cause at all.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computer Components