JTL lag problems

Since JTL, lag is an overwhelming problem.
The game ran perfect before the expansion and
now is horrific.

Does anyone know if the techs are going to
improve the game performance or if it is up
to us, their customers who are already paying
for the service, to spend $300-$400 to upgrade
our video cards and memory to compensate
for the lag problems?

DK

Dave King wrote:
> Since JTL, lag is an overwhelming problem.
> The game ran perfect before the expansion and
> now is horrific.
>
> Does anyone know if the techs are going to
> improve the game performance or if it is up
> to us, their customers who are already paying
> for the service, to spend $300-$400 to upgrade
> our video cards and memory to compensate
> for the lag problems?
>
> DK

lag is defined as a network slowdown. Upgrading video doesn't affect
that. Game performance can usually be improved by tweaking game settings.

"baegucb" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> Dave King wrote:
>> Since JTL, lag is an overwhelming problem.
>> The game ran perfect before the expansion and
>> now is horrific.
>>
>> Does anyone know if the techs are going to
>> improve the game performance or if it is up
>> to us, their customers who are already paying
>> for the service, to spend $300-$400 to upgrade
>> our video cards and memory to compensate
>> for the lag problems?
>>
>> DK
> lag is defined as a network slowdown. Upgrading video doesn't affect that.
> Game performance can usually be improved by tweaking game settings.

Somewhere along the line people started to call game performance, loss of
frame rates, choppiness, LAG. I had always seen lag as being packet loss or
sudden high ping, due to network performance. But as I say, using the term
"lag" to describe low frame rates is now very common. It used to bug me &
I would try to correct people but I got no where & finally I have come to
accept it & have even caught myself using the same term in that context.

To the original poster, yea I noticed some performance hits since JTL. Do
not know if SOE is planning to address it or not. Chances are you either
buy the new video card or lower your display quality settings. You could
try the lower settings for a while & wait for the next "publish" & see if
they address it.

Sartori

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003

"Bruin" <bruinwarBLAH@BLAHexcite.com> wrote in message

> "baegucb" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> > Dave King wrote:
> >> Since JTL, lag is an overwhelming problem.
> >> The game ran perfect before the expansion and
> >> now is horrific.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know if the techs are going to
> >> improve the game performance or if it is up
> >> to us, their customers who are already paying
> >> for the service, to spend $300-$400 to upgrade
> >> our video cards and memory to compensate
> >> for the lag problems?
> >>
> >> DK
> > lag is defined as a network slowdown. Upgrading video doesn't affect
that.
> > Game performance can usually be improved by tweaking game settings.
>
> Somewhere along the line people started to call game performance, loss of
> frame rates, choppiness, LAG. I had always seen lag as being packet loss
or
> sudden high ping, due to network performance. But as I say, using the
term
> "lag" to describe low frame rates is now very common. It used to bug me
&
> I would try to correct people but I got no where & finally I have come to
> accept it & have even caught myself using the same term in that context.

And here I thought I was the only one that was irked by this.... :)

"baegucb" <user@example.net> wrote in message

> lag is defined as a network slowdown. Upgrading video doesn't affect that.
> Game performance can usually be improved by tweaking game settings.

unless hes refering to lag as typing hello in spatial with a 100 ms ping and
taking 3 seconds for it to show up in spatial, or 10 seconds for a vendors
item screen to display when you refresh it, or a good 5 seconds between
clicking attack and finally starting to attack a target, or having to add
3-4 seconds per pause in a crafting macro going from using it on correllia
to dantooine. theres also a limit to how much improvement all the tweaking
can do if the code its trying to run is poorly optimized or extremely borked
and it currently is with the random runtime ctds since 11/7

"Dave King" <dking21@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:<tMskd.4344$pu3.2735@fe2.texas.rr.com>...
> Since JTL, lag is an overwhelming problem.
> The game ran perfect before the expansion and
> now is horrific.
>
> Does anyone know if the techs are going to
> improve the game performance or if it is up
> to us, their customers who are already paying
> for the service, to spend $300-$400 to upgrade
> our video cards and memory to compensate
> for the lag problems?
>
> DK

Same deal here, Doesn't seem to be actual network *lag* in the true
sense of the word but theres definetly a slow down since JTL. Maybe
they added more textures or changed the lighting or shadows. Anyway I
improved things a little on my system by turning down character detail
all the way to 0. Shame everyone looks awful now :/