Sign in with
Your question

Looking to build a $5K-6K system

Last response: in Systems
September 7, 2008 11:11:16 PM

Hi All!!!

I'm new to the forum and have been trying to find some info on building a new PC.

I'm looking at a budget of about $5K-6K.

I would like it based on an Intel 9700 3.2ghz CPU, 790i MB, Dual nVidia 280 graphics cards in SLi, 8GB Ram, 2x300GB Velociraptor HD's in raid 0, water cooled CPU/GPU/MB, CD Burner w/lightscribe and BD, media reader, and a good case to put all this in...

I've built several systems in the past with great success but this is my first attempt at a high end system. Any ideas/suggestions as to what components/manufacturers I should look at getting would greatly be appreciated!

Best regards and thanks!!!
Ken

More about : build system

September 7, 2008 11:24:22 PM

Quite honestly I would get a 1.5k rig plus a good water cooling set up and upgrade every year. Get some good 1066 ddr2 such as the Corsair dominators or ddr3 if you want(barely any performance increase). Case perhaps the Coolermaster 830, Cosmos S, a good Lian Li maybe instead? and reuse the case and water cooling. There's no doubt an expensive system will be great immediately, but after the first 2.5-3 years the 1.5k systems would probably a better approach.
September 7, 2008 11:37:16 PM

Look over these suggestions @ ExtremeTech: ExtremeTech's Killer Gaming Rig

IMO if you have $5K to spend I think you'd be a LOT better off with using 2.5K for a laptop and 2.5K for a desktop.
Related resources
September 7, 2008 11:39:19 PM

+1 to mark....

Dont spend 5k on a build now, cause in half a year, its already destroyed by a $1500 system. Build a $1500 rig like Mark said and then upgrade and save the extra cash for future systems/upgrades.

Get a P45/X48, a 4870x2, Q9550 cpu and 4 gigs of some nice DDR2-1000 (mushkin red line) or 1066 ram and 10k drives are RLY expensive. I wouldnt even bother unless 2 second faster loads rly matter to u. I would get the WD 640AAKS (its good price and pretty fast as a 7200 drive)

Edit: @ baba that GTX 350 is total suspicion...the only site that has it is hardspell >.>
September 7, 2008 11:42:46 PM

If your looking for the best gaming case ever then it's Antec 1200! , a good mobo for a high end gaming rigg would be Asus Striker Extreme II.
Nehalem is just around the corner and the GTX350 (2GB DDR5) will be released by Q4 2008, so i wouldn't really suggest paying that much on a gaming rigg now.
September 7, 2008 11:53:35 PM

I agree with Mark that it would be the more cost effective way, with that being said I'll give you a proposed setup. Remember two things though, there are no gains with using DDR3 at the moment so it's pointless to use it and the absolute best graphics performance is held by Ati and their HD 4870 X2, not the puny GTX 280s.

Intel BOXD5400XS Dual LGA 771 Skulltrail D5400XS Extended ATX Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121330&Tpk=Skulltrail

Intel Xeon E5450 Harpertown 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 80W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(Saving $1000 over the dual QX9775 and just set the FSB manually to 400 and you have 2 quad cores running at 3.6 Ghz instead of 2 little QX9775 running at 3.2 Ghz.)

Add two of these for 8GB of ram:

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 FB-DIMM ECC Fully Buffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Server Memory - Retail

Two of these for quad crossfire:

VisionTek 900250 Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W Continuous @ 50°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

2 of these for a RAID array...

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Antec Twelve Hundred Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043&Tpk=Antec%20twelve%20hundred

LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20L - Retail

For water cooling check out:

www.dangerden.com

www.koolance.com
September 8, 2008 12:38:02 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions so far!!!

Guess I'll be re-thinking my strategy!!!

emb, should I get dual cpus? Or can that MB handle just one? This looks like a nice system... and alot cheaper too!!!

As far as the water cooling, is it going to be necessary with this setup? I'm not going to be doing any extreme overclocking other that raising the FSB like you suggested... I have read that the GPU's run very hot so that would probalby be my only concern.

Ken
September 8, 2008 12:53:49 AM

Duplicate post.
September 8, 2008 12:55:42 AM

Honestly, if it's for gaming then there's not much point on getting dual CPUs. I'll spec a second (more serious) system, because the first one is amazing, but there's no software programmed (except for ray tracing rendering) to harness that kind of CPU power yet.

You shouldn't require any additional cooling for the GPUs, provided that you don't go too crazy OC'ing them.

DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

VisionTek 900250 Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W Continuous @ 50°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

2 of these for a RAID array...

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Antec Twelve Hundred Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043&Tpk=Antec%20twelve%20hundred

LG Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Internal Blu-ray Burner Super Multi Blu-ray Disc Burner & HD DVD-ROM Drive Model GGW-H20L - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM

ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing / Transparent CPU Cooler - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887011&Tpk=Zerotherm%20Nirvana

This setup will run you for about $3250 and believe it or not, you will NOT see ANY difference in performance in games (just a $2000 difference!) with this one and the one I showed you above. You should be able to get this CPU running at 3.4 without any major issues by adjusting the FSB frequency to 400 in the BIOS.
September 8, 2008 1:08:28 AM

Thanks again emp!!! I'm going to go ahead and build this system... sounds like a winner to me!

Should I change out the other MB for the one you just posted and get a different CPU? The price I'm at now is fine so that isn't an issue.

Got everything in the shopping cart at egghead... total price??? $4700! Right at my budget! I'll still need to add a media card reader but that won't bumb the price up that much... I also added Vista Ultimate which has the 64bit version as well...
September 8, 2008 1:10:42 AM

LOL!!!

I posted the last reply before I saw the new one you put on!!! I'll go price that one out...

Thanks again!!!
September 8, 2008 1:10:49 AM

Silverion77 said:
+1 to mark....

Dont spend 5k on a build now, cause in half a year, its already destroyed by a $1500 system. Build a $1500 rig like Mark said and then upgrade and save the extra cash for future systems/upgrades.

Get a P45/X48, a 4870x2, Q9550 cpu and 4 gigs of some nice DDR2-1000 (mushkin red line) or 1066 ram and 10k drives are RLY expensive. I wouldnt even bother unless 2 second faster loads rly matter to u. I would get the WD 640AAKS (its good price and pretty fast as a 7200 drive)

Edit: @ baba that GTX 350 is total suspicion...the only site that has it is hardspell >.>

u are genius like myself (lol) cause i would recommend the same
September 8, 2008 1:34:37 AM

You're welcome, and in case you end up wondering why I recommend that particular X38 board over ANY X48 board is because it has the same features as any competent X48 board, but is about $100 cheaper. Basically the cost of X48 boards is a joke at the moment.
September 8, 2008 1:38:58 AM

How bout the Corsair HX1000, it seems like a very competent PSU and about $100 cheaper

emp, i still love the HD 5870 (ill laugh if its not called that down the road)
September 8, 2008 1:41:43 AM

OK, got the other system priced out... grand total??? $3369!!! The only addition was this:

Card reader:

Gonna go start ordering and hopefully by the end of the week I'll have everything! I'm going to have to order it in chunks tho... my CC can only do $2500 a day...

Should I consider getting an addtional GPU cooler? Also, would I benefit from getting a 9650 CPU and o/c it?

Thanks again for the great iinfo and awsome help in this!!!

Ken
September 8, 2008 1:47:42 AM

i would not get the 9650...its not worth it. U r paying double price for an extra .5 multiplier...definitely not worth it...

Get the 9550, save the $300 and OC that
No to the gpu cooler cause atm i havent seen any for the 4870x2

And @ u and emp (seriously consider this). Do u seriously need 2 4870x2. I mean with 1 u are getting 250 fps in CoD4, 35 in Crysis with all high and high res. and in many reviews...atm the scaling is just not there for the x2. It just seems silly to pay another $550 for frames ur not even going to notice. (i mean the eye only sees about 28 fps the extra is for the computer recording more data faster, but that has a limit too.)
If one is not enough for u, u could then buy another. I just think u should see if 1 will suffice for the time and if it is save the money for another card later. If not, then just get another x2
September 8, 2008 1:55:35 AM

Thanks for the info Sliverion!

I can get one card now and see how it goes... I can always upgrade later if I don't see the performance I'm looking for.

And thanks for the info on the CPU... I was wondering if the price difference justified the performance I would gain. I'll stick with the 9550!

Thanks again!
Ken
September 8, 2008 1:55:42 AM

Silverion, I have faith in Ati... They will name it the HD 5870 :)  And yeah the Corsair HX1000 is awesome, but I figured he wanted the absolute best... the only brand that can top Corsair (Seasonic designs) is PCP&C PSUs.

Yeah I forgot about the card reader, it wasn't really on my mind since I have no use for it :p  Good that you remembered though...

I would suggest that you wait before buying any GPU coolers, assemble your unit and check the temperature, if you think you REALLY need it, then buy it. (I don't think you will though)

I would suggest against getting the Q9650, it's $220 more expensive for a 9x multiplier (The Q9550 has a 8.5x multiplier), the difference in performance is negligible, the difference in price isn't. (You could buy a HELL of a lot of barbecue and beer with $200...)

That is pretty sweet... I'd suggest that you come up with a plan for ordering then, so you can get the essentials first and then add the rest at the end of the week. kinda like...

Motherboard, CPU, 1x HD 4870 X2, RAM, Blu ray drive, case, PSU, Vista, and one HDD.

Get the second HDD, GPU, CPU cooler and card reader on the second batch maybe?

EDIT @ Silverion: As I stated on my first post, I think the best approach is $1000-1500 systems every 2 or 3 years, but I can understand where kenk is coming from... he's saved his money for some time I assume, just waiting to spoil himself with a big gift, and that is just fine by me (I do the same from time to time!).

I agree with either choice you make (1 or 2 HD 4870 X2), in fact I think it's better to order only one and the second only if necessary.
September 8, 2008 1:58:18 AM

if ur spending that much on a system water it for only an extra 200-400, it looks cool, OCs better
September 8, 2008 2:01:11 AM

Water cooling for $200-400? Haha... more like $500-600 for a decent setup. Midrange water cooling USUALLY does not beat high end air cooling, this is one of those things that if you're gonna do it you gotta be serious about it, otherwise you'd be only wasting cash.
September 8, 2008 2:01:40 AM

OK!!! Got my C/C out!!! I'm gonna go ahead and get the 2nd GPU that way I won't have to worry about it later...

I'm sure I'll some more questions later!!!

Thanks again for all the great info!!! Made my decision a whole lot easier!

Thanks again to ALL who helped me with this!!!

Ken
September 8, 2008 2:02:41 AM

I like emp' setup but for the video card and the HSF.
Video nVidia 9800GX2

HSF Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro7
Or the Xigmatek HDT-S1284
Both Spec better than the ZEROtherm
September 8, 2008 2:03:56 AM

emp said:
Silverion, I have faith in Ati... They will name it the HD 5870 :) 

EDIT @ Silverion: As I stated on my first post, I think the best approach is $1000-1500 systems every 2 or 3 years, but I can understand where kenk is coming from... he's saved his money for some time I assume, just waiting to spoil himself with a big gift, and that is just fine by me (I do the same from time to time!).

I agree with either choice you make (1 or 2 HD 4870 X2), in fact I think it's better to order only one and the second only if necessary.

ROFL :lol:  :lol: 

Yea i guess i could see him spoiling....i guess im doing the same atm compared to my last system (E2180 and 8800GT)
Just with my new system im not sure to wait for Nehalem. Get the 2.66 (cause at $284 it seems great) and an X58 or get the Q9550 and then skip straight to Westmere.
Also, do u kno the actual release on i7? Some said close to Dec. Jan. Now some say Nov. and TH says Sept. im so confused :pt1cable: 

Edit: @ bobb: from what ive read, the 1284 performs worse than the 1283 cause of the staggered heatpipes
and the nirvana is good (competes with the TRUE) the AC Freezer definitely does not beat it
September 8, 2008 2:09:01 AM

I see the paper launch on late September or early october, with the actual release on late november or early december.

Bobbknight, you're aware that the only cooler that beats the Zerotherm Nirvana is the TRUE 120, and that's by no more than 5 C. Also if he's got a big budget and wants some of the best performance available, why would he castrate the PC with a 9800GX2? It's priced nicely, I'll give it that, but nvidia can't even hold a candle against Ati. (Feels SO good saying that after so long :p )

EDIT @ Silverion: I bought myself an E7200 last week (replacing my E6400), an HD 4850 that should be arriving this week (replacing an 8800GTS 320), and might buy 2 more gigs of RAM. I'm a bit torn between getting bloomfield or holding out for westmere. (Knowing myself I'll probably get bloomfield :D )
September 8, 2008 2:12:04 AM

So would u recommend waiting for i7 (atm i have no computer) or should i get a Q9550 to hold me to Westmere or maybe Sandy Bridge

I mean i do want 17000 cpu points in vantage, but the wait might be too long
Anonymous
September 8, 2008 2:16:29 AM

i don't get how its possible to spend this much money on something that will be obsolete in a year...

i just spent 1200 bucks... and its maybe 10 - 20 % off the top end systems.... for 30 % of the cost... you get 80 % of the performance... absolutely ridiculous... people buy the 1200 dollar system and give the rest to charity... theres no way anyone needs to waste THAT much cash...

EDIT: and @ silverrion i'd just get the q9550... then OC it any oced core 2 system will get you through to westmere and probably sandy bridge... one thing you want to make sure though is to get a pci 2.0 mobo although today there isn't really any affect on performance... (4870 X2 already starts to show some) but in 2 years it probably will make a difference
September 8, 2008 2:16:37 AM

Actually I'd advise you to do what I'm doing, get a decent gaming system that'll hold you at least 1.5 years. E5200, GA-EP45-DS3L, 4GB of DDR2 800/1066 ram, and a HD 4850.

If you are to buy a Q9550 system like the one above, I'd use it at least until Sandy Bridge with minor upgrades. The reason I don't go all out is because I have this habit of buying new stuff for PC, even though I don't need to, I end up doing it, so I might as well buy "disposable" parts.

EDIT @ thogrom: I'm really tired of hearing that argument from people (most likely why I stopped coming to the new build forums), if you take the trouble to save up money and want to use it on yourself that is your business, he came here asking for advice on what to build, we all gave him similar advice and critique on the parts, but beyond that we have no right to "order" him on how to spend his money. I spent $1600 on PC parts and $1000 on car audio on the past year, everyone that doesn't like it is free to disagree with me, but they have no right to tell me how to spend MY money, because that is MY business.

Money certainly does not buy happiness, but it buys computer parts, which leads to happiness...
September 8, 2008 2:21:16 AM

no im looking to spend about $1000-1200 w/o case and psu (already bought by dad as payment for his computer)

I was originally looking at P5Q Deluxe, Q9550, 4gigs and either a 4870 or GX2 (might go GX2 cause i doubt ill CF)
But im not sure if i should jump the gun or wait for Nehalem, even though its still another 1-2 months

Edit: the way i view it Kenk is supporting our slowly recessing economy. Its ppl that tell ppl not to spend money thats causing it :D  lol
Anonymous
September 8, 2008 2:23:32 AM

I agree for the most part

i just like getting something like a high end cpu and then mid-high end other stuff and then upgrading that stuff through out the life time of the system

i planned my system for a high OC so it would maintain usability in years to come and chose a pci 2.0 mobo so that when the need to upgrade gpu occurs... i can w/o potentially having a significant amount of performance deducted

for now nehalem isn't needed... there really aren't a lot of cpu bottlenecked games out there... any system with a high clock speed (over 3 ghz) should be fine until westmere

however the 3 ghz systems may start to show their age by that time when future programs are more optimized for instruction sets provided with nehalem and the use of more cores becomes more prominent

EDIT: silverloin you posted while i was typing ^ that... lol

i actually got a p5q deluxe and a q9550 and a 4870... i got the p5q deluxe because most reviews i've seen of it show it obtaining a stable fsb at or close to 500.... i unfortunately didn't get an amazing board... i can only get it stable at 450.... but still 3.85 ghz on a quad is still pretty nice :D 

i would get a 4870 X2 though... I got a 4870 because i'm still rockin' XP and nothing in XP needs anything more than that but i can tell that future games are going to want more power than my 4870
September 8, 2008 2:27:28 AM

Thats what i originally thought, things atm only use 2 cores, so nehalem will promote 4 cores so then programs will utilize it which will also increase the performance of Core 2 Quads....and then u could just wait

But me and my OCD self told myself otherwise...*yells at myself*

Edit: @ thogrom, so do u recommend the 4870, GX2 or if i can sport it the 4870x2 (which i probably can if i beg :D )
September 8, 2008 2:30:42 AM

Yea thats what i was just about at....see the post above urs (i posted mine)

I was just going to do the 640 drive cause its nice and fast and a Q9550, but maybe ill get the Q6600 and then put in the x2 :D 

I mean gpu is more important than cpu
Anonymous
September 8, 2008 2:30:48 AM

nice build i was originally going to GET that exact build hehe w/ a few other different parts and what not... i heard dfi is realy good... what i didn't like about it is I knew i wanted to keep my system for a LONG time, as long as possible.... so i knew i needed/wanted a pci 2.0 mobo just to make sure i wouldn't suffer any performance bottlenecks b/c of it
September 8, 2008 2:34:08 AM

I know... I felt bad that I hadn't seen many DFI products in the past 2 years or so, they kinda just disappeared for a while. They got what I think is the best Price/Perf mobo deal out there with that X38 motherboard.

And silverion, I'd ponder around the idea of getting 2 HD 4850s on crossfire with the DFI MoBo instead of the HD 4870 X2. Just a thought...
September 8, 2008 2:38:40 AM

hmmm, and what are the advantages of that (besides $$$). I mean i havent seen many x2 comparison benchmarks because i originally didnt think of doing it, but if they perform just as well, i can get a Q6600 instead of the Q9550 and 2 4850s
September 8, 2008 2:42:07 AM

Obviously the HD 4870 X2 wins hands down against 2 CF HD 4850s or even 4870s, but... It'll cost you $550 (HD 4870 X2), $320 (Q9550), $140 (P5Q Pro) vs $340 (2 HD 4850), $180 (Q6600), and $185 (X38 board). The difference in beer money is sizeable, and you'd still be spanking any GTX 280 that gets on your way.
September 8, 2008 3:35:58 AM

Got everything ordered in one shot!!! Newegg takes Paypal!!! I'll have everything by Thursday if it all ships out tomorrow!!!

Went ahead and got the wife the same outfit... she saw what I was getting and wanted one too!

Spent the same on 2 systems that I would've spent for one originally...

Thanks again for your help emp!!! I'm sure this system will be great for anything I can throw at it!

As far as overclocking the system (and I do want to o/c), what would you recommend? Not too familiar with the new systems nowadays and how to o/c them... don't want to set the wrong thing and poof there goes my system!

Thanks again!!!
Ken
September 8, 2008 3:56:56 AM

Hah... you seem to have a good wife. I want one like that some day :)  Don't worry, newegg is most likely shipping your stuff first thing tomorrow morning (They always ship my orders on the same day if I order early enough on a business day).

Overclocking might look daunting at first, but it's actually easy. First things first access the BIOS, then...

Just heads up, depending on how the default settings of the motherboard are you might have increase the voltage on the memory from 1.8 up to somewhere around 1.9 to 2.1 for it to boot properly.

1.) disable EIST (SpeedStep technology)
2.) go to advanced chipset or something similar that has memory settings
3.) Set your memory speed to run at DDR2 800. (You do this to run your memory on a 1:1 ratio with 400 FSB.
4.) Set the timings to run auto according to SPD (Basically the manufacturer's rated memory timings, once you get the hang of it you can play with it more)
5.) Now look for an option called CPU settings or similar.
6.) Look for something called CPU frequency/FSB/Front Side Bus Frequency. Should be defaulting at 333.
7.) You will raise the FSB to 400.
8.) Double check that the PCI-E frequency is at 100 and the PCI frequency is at 33.
9.) Save settings & Quit.
10.) Drink a beer
11.) Enjoy your new Q9550 running at 3.4 Ghz

If you ever get the itch to see how fast your CPU can go, you can learn more about increasing the voltage on the CPU (Don't go crazy here, if you go way past 1.5v it might be dangerous). The reason that you increase voltage is to increase stability on the system, with increased stability you can run at higher speeds.

Those are the basic steps that you should take in order to OC your CPU, I would suggest that you do more reading than this, but with this alone you should be okay.
September 8, 2008 4:19:14 AM

Thanks EMP!!!

I'll do some searches on Google and see what I can find on overclocking, but you got me started!!!

Thanks again for the help!!! If I can think of anything else I'll let you know!

Ken
September 8, 2008 4:27:51 AM

Alright, no problem. You can find some more in-depth guides on the overclocking forums here. The only warning I can give you is to go easy on the voltages, other than that... Have fun with your two PCs, I know I would!
September 15, 2008 5:46:46 AM

Hi emp!!!

Got my system built and running!!! Still missing the 4870X2's but they'll be here Wednesday... I put in a 4850 for now just to get the system running.

I've got the 9550 o/c'd to 3.4. I followed your instructions and got it to go! The CPU is running at 95-100 deg, case is at 80, about room temp.

For the first time in building systems, this is the first one that booted up first time I pushed the power button!

For some reason tho, the CPU fan won't run above 1860. When I first fired up the system it was running at 2200. This fan has the external variable controller that I have maxxed out. Any ideas on how to get it running faster?

I want to thank you again for your help!!!

Best regards,
Ken

Edit:
I found that I had set the fan speed on my FP-01 (Card Reader that has a built in hardware monitor/fan control) Doh'! Turned it up and back to 2200!
September 15, 2008 10:23:57 AM

WAIT WAIT WAIT....

is that 95-100 Celsius??
I mean ur room isnt at 80C but generally they record comp in celsius. If thats the case turn down that OC
70C is the max threshold id do on aircooling
September 15, 2008 7:34:03 PM

Hiya Silverion!

That's in farenheit... the CPU is running at 95-105 deg Farenheit, the NB is running at 100 deg Farentheit, the case is at 80 Farenheit, the HDD's are running at 100 deg farenheit and the GPU is at 110 deg Farenheit. This is with all the fans set to high. Still pretty quiet at these settings so I'm happy!

I gotta say thin Antec 1200 case is sweet! It is huge tho, had to take the keyboard shelf off of the desk so it would fit!

Thanks again for the response!
Ken
September 15, 2008 8:03:13 PM

o lol

Good
Well yea u got a good build
Got the 1200 also, might WC it
September 21, 2008 9:01:53 AM

Hi All!!!

OK, got both systems built and running!!! Only problem I have is with the 4870X2's. First I had to flash the BIOS before I could even put these cards in the machine (it wouldn't even boot). Apparently alot of peeps are having problems with this card as am I. These cards are SLOW!!! The 4850 I was using until I got the 4870's is way faster (when benchmarking with 3DMark Vantage). I've tried all the tricks they've suggested and it's still slow. Alot of peeps are saying it has to do with the PCIe card bus and the way the 4870 uses it, and how the drivers are bottlenecking the system.

If they can't figure it out soon, I'm going to switch to the GTX280's in SLI. I really like the 4870's but it's not worth the hassle trying to get it running like it should. The rest of my system is working great!

If anyone has the 4870X2 and is using it with a DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R MB and has had good results with it, please let me know what you did! I'm pulling my hair out trying to get it to work right!

Best regards, and thanks!!!
Ken
October 9, 2008 6:10:12 AM

Hi All!!!

Just wanted to give an update on my system. I installed WC!!!! IT was way easier than I thought and the results seem worth it. :) 

The items I installed are:
1 - D-tek Fuzion V2 CPU WB
1 - Swiftech MCW30 Chipset cooler
1 - Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
1 - ThermoChill PA120.2 1/2" EK Barbs
1 - Thermochill PA120.3 1/2" EK Barbs
1 - Swiftech RadBox MCB-120 Revision 2
5 - Scythe "S-FLEX™" S-FDB 120mm Quiet FAN - SFF21G
1 - XSPC Bay Reservoir 5.25"
1 - EK-FC4870 X2 CF High Performance Water Block - Acetal
Tygon R-3603 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Chemical Tubing

The flow goes: PUMP>GPU>120.3>CPU>NB>RES>120.2>PUMP

I've been running a few benchmarks and so far it seems to running pretty good...

Before I installed WC, my temps were 47C idle and 68C load using Prime95. It's now 44C Idle and 55C load under Prime95 so my load temps dropped 13C, but my idle temps stayed about the same. I did notice in my BIOS that the idle temps showed 39C. Don't know why HW Monitor shows a higher temp. Any ideas?

My 4870X2 temps before I WC'd were 49C Idle and 80C under load. Now it's running at 28C idle and 32C under load, a huge improvement! I have the card maxxed out on O/Cing too (800 Core and 1000 Mem) and absolutely rock solid.

Here are some pics of my rig running... :) 

Thanks again to all who helped me get my system up and running!!! It was way easier than I thought!!!

Best regards,
Ken

July 28, 2009 9:03:37 AM

Antec Twelve Hundred Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail .

Blu ray DVD Burner
July 28, 2009 9:12:05 AM

1848859,9,125667 said:
Honestly, if it's for gaming then there's not much point on getting dual CPUs. I'll spec a second (more serious) system, because the first one is amazing, but there's no software programmed (except for ray tracing rendering) to harness that kind of CPU power yet.

July 28, 2009 10:43:01 AM

look at the dates.

however I did LOL when they said the GTX300 would be out by the end of 2008, it isn't going to be out by the end of 2009 so that failed miserably.
!