How to recover hidden partition after win 7 install on new drive

Sharkyunleashed

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello,
i have just bought a new raptor drive and installed a 64 bit version of win 7, now my other drive(vista ultimate 64) doe snot show neither do i have boot option for that drive, the drive is still showing in windows disk management but no drive letter and no access. need help please as i really need some files off this drive. HELP!!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If the old drive is visible in the lower right pane of Windows Disk Management, RIGHT-click on it and choose to Change its Name. Give it any letter name not in use. Exit out of Disk Management and reboot so Windows will update its Registry. This should make the drive accessible in My Computer.

Sharkyunleashed

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi Paperdoc, thanks for your response, it did show previously and i tried assigning a letter with the right click option before but received an error about having to refresh the disks then try again. I did this and same error. Now the drive has dissapeared altogether. Odd? i have had a similar issue and started the pc with a vista recovery disk which then showed the drive but i got a boot mgr missing error as i had obviously re-written the boot record in vista so had to re-install 7. Am not going through that again. so will look for and wait for help. Appreciate any feedback! I love these forums for gaining experience from people like yourself, saying that this is my first time actually posting something ever!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So you have re-installed Win 7 on the new drive, correct? And the old drive has Vista Ultimate 64 on it, but does not show up in My Computer.

When you re-installed Win 7, was the old drive attached, or disconnected? If it was attached, did you choose to set up a Dual Boot system?

My understanding is that, if you had installed Win 7 with ONLY the new drive connected, you should then be able to reconnect the old drive and have it recognized right away. If you installed Win 7 with BOTH drives connected and had it create a Dual Boot system, you should have an option at bootup time which system to boot, and within each you should still be able to see both drives. If you had installed Win 7 with BOTH drives connected and did NOT set up a Dual Boot system, again I'd expect you to see both units in My Computer - you just would not have any option to boot into Vista. Which way did you proceed? And in all scenarios I would expect you NOT to have the problem, so I'm still thinking.

G

How to access hidden partition, for example recovery partition to see the recovery password etc. hidden in the file.
>My Computer>Right Click>Manage>Disk Management>
You'll see partition with no number, >right click>change drive letter and paths>
If it wont let you choose the options to >change drive letter and paths> dont worry.
Download EASEUS Partition Master Home. It is FREE. Google it.
After you install and open the program EASEUS Partition Master Home, do the following:
Navigate cursor to partition you need to access>Right Click>Change drive letter>
Choose any of you like. After its done, in the program you'll see green (nike sign like a thick the box) button, click on it to apply the changes, wait until its done, few seconds only.. Now you should already be able to see your drive in pop up window. There you go.
Need to change it back? It's easy. Again in the same program >Right Click>Change drive letter>choose none. Done