soex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
I am currently oc'ing a Athlon II x2 Regor 240. Have it currently at 2.9ghx for a trial stress with Prime95 to see max temperatures.

Peaking Out a 55C cpu temp and 38C mobo. Wondering if these are safe temperatures without cutting much of the cpu's life. I'm more of a moderate gamer and average internet user looking for alittle boost.

Thanks for advice and responses.

soex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
*edit*

I forgot to mention i changed only frequency from 201mhz to 208mhz,

Also i have 1066mhz G-SKill ddr2.

paul mohr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
The real question is did you notice a difference in your game play? 2.8 to 2.9 isn't a real big jump. I got mine to 3.2 without changing any voltages. And in most cases its the voltage increase that is going to generate the extra heat. I can get mine to 3.5 if I up some of the voltages and scale down some other things.

My opinion is that at 2.9 you won't see a difference so you might be better of putting it back to stock. Then again I am fairly new to overclocking as well so I could be full of crap. I tested mine at stock, 3.2 and 3.5. While it showed some nice differences on benchmarks I really didn't see any great increase in "real world" performance. So I would suggest doing some tests with what you will actually use the computer for and see of the performance gains are worth the extra stress you might be putting on your computer.

Remember when you increase the frequency you are overlcocking the whole system, not just the cpu.

Unless you are doing it just to do it, and there is nothing wrong with that either. I did it just to see what would happen and if I could do it. My computer actually worked pretty well for what I wanted to begin with.

If you plan on boosting it to the point where you have to change the voltages and you see decent temp increases I suggest getting an aftermarket cpu cooler and looking at the air flow in your case.

Let us know what happens.

Paul

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
I run mine at 3.2 also, without any voltage increase .I have the multiplier set to 14 and the frequency at 230 my temps are around 37 -45 ' I use asrocks oc utility

55c at 2.9Ghz is way off since that is only a 100mhz increase. Your temps should be in the mid/high 40's at the most unless your room temp is over 35c and you have horrible case/cooling....

My 550 at 3.9Ghz does not break 46/47c (stock cooler) no matter how hot my room temp is... My suggestion would be to re-paste and re-seat the CPU cooler (make sure you put the correct amount of paste and spread evenly.

Looks like it's time for an aftermarket cooler ;)