Black Friday Core2 Quad 8200

justskot

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
Did anyone else take advantage of Fry's black Friday deal on the 8200 with cheepo ECS mobo? I've been holding out on a system upgrade for Nehalem, but with prices looking like they'll be high for a year or so I couldn't resist upgrading my core PC for under 200 bucks.

I'm not looking for killer performance or overclocks in this build but would love other opinions on whether this deal was worth it or not.

My current PC is an Athlon 3800x2 with 1 gig of ram (had 2 but my GEIL sticks kept wigging out) and an x800. See what I mean about needing that upgrade?

Edit: BTW, the 8200 was 114 at Frys. I might just sell the bundled mobo and buy a p35-45 instead. Then again I'm somewhat tempted to use a small form case and save me the pain of lugging around my 60 pound steel tank.

Huttfuzz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Didn't you have a i7 system alreadt roadrunner...? if i7 was in fact 150$ on black friday i would buy 10 and resell.

justskot

Distinguished
May 7, 2008

Oh my where from? I would take back my 8200 in a second if I could pick up a corei7 for 150.

justskot

Distinguished
May 7, 2008

Ah yes... I thought you had found the holy grail and madly searched google to follow in your footsteps. SIGH.

I can't wait another year. They'll have cyberlathonian almost out by then and I'll never end up with anything...

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
well I missed out. got hung up on 3 times and the phone said sold out 15 mins before they said so on the show.

What a joke. Those guys couldnt operate a peanut cracker. The live feed crashed like 100 times. They said stuff was sold out then came back and said none sold. Their call center went down. OMG 12 hours I will never get back.

I guess I'll buy myself a coulple ssd drives for my os now.

Thanksgiving is (was) more about the family then the food. the food is just a bonus.

Black Friday is just the commercialization of the holiday season, winter, used to make more sells by selling more stuff near their cost so ppl think they are getting it cheaper when in reality they are still paying more than it is worth just less than the normal over pricing.

Its like shoes. Shoes cost $100 bucks for name brand (except Vans which are awesome and low price). Yet it cost the maker probably a few dollars to produce then a few more per pair to import from China or Mexico so in reality they are making massive profits.