Sign in with
Your question

something might be wrong with my 9800GT?...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2008 7:27:28 PM

i just bought a new GALAXY GeForce 9800GT w/ XTREME TUNER and after going home i quickly plugged it in my pc.
installed the driver that came with the package(177.79) plus the physics driver(8.07.18) and properly set-up all the display options for my monitor. to test my new videocard, i ran 3d mark 06 to test its capabilities... to my horror 3d mark crashed while going tru video test 2 "firefly forest" saying
Quote:
"IDirect3DDevice9 :: Present failed : Device lost (D3DERR_DEVICELOST)"

playing games(NWN2, CS:Source, GRID, FarCry), i can play for an hour or two before video anomalies happens. even at the lowest graphics settings!

i tried updating the driver with one from the nvidia website(178.13)/physics(8.09.04) using driver cleaner pro prior to updating, and even my directx(since i'm already using the august2008 update, i just reinstalled it). still the same error is happening!

so to test if its my installation of windows is the one thats screwed up, i uninstalled all the nvidia drivers, unplugged the 9800GT out and again started using my boards IGP RADEON HD3200 with all the neccessary drivers that had been previously installed. started the 3dmark 06 and to my suprise everything went fine. i even scored a mind blowing 1509 marks!!! :lol:  :pt1cable:  , started playing NWN2:MOTB with 7FPS(all settings set to medium)WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!!!

so once again i tried my 9800GT, tried running 3dmark 06 and still the same thing kept on happening. at one time it won't even finish video test 1 "return to proxycon" i almost headbutted my monitor that time!!! :fou: 

for info here is my system:
MOBO : Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev1.0
PROC : AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ brisbane
HSF : Coolermaster Hyper TX2
MEM : Kingston 2Gb DDR2 800 CL5
GPU: GALAXY GeForce 9800GT
PSU : HEC Raptor500 500w
HD : Seagate 250Gb SATA-II
OTHERS :
for memory - DeepCool Memo4 heatspreader w/ heatpipe
for northbridge - DeepCool NBridge8 w/ dual heatpipe
3 80mm exhaust case fan(2 in turbine configuration parallel to the MOBO VRM and PROC HSF and MEM heatpipe)(1 parallel to the northbrige HSF)
1 80mm intake case fan parallel to the MOBO VRM, PROC HSF and MEM heatpipe
1 92mm hi-power intake case fan(SUPERRED 12V 1.60A CHD9212FB-OA model) parallel to the PCI-E and HD cage

i also got my Athlon OC'ed at 3.0GHz (231x13) @ 1.4volts.

temps @ IDLE
proc: 18C/core
gpu: 54C
HD : 35C
overall case(inside) : 32.5C

temps @ FULL LOAD
proc: 48C/core
gpu: 86C
HD : 39C
overall case(inside) : 38C

now, now before you say "thats why you're having problems with your 9800GT, because you got your processor overclocked!"

let me tell you, this system is very stable at this frequency, already completed super pi mod 1.5 up to 32M with no errors/lock-ups/freezes/BSOD, ran BurnInTest v5.3 PRO for a whole day @ full load then ORTHOS running on full stress with GROMACS CORE the nex day! ^_^

when using the boards IGP RADEON HD3200, i also OC'ed my NB CORE up to 800MHz@auto voltage adjustment in the BIOS. 3dmark score was raised to 1630marks

if anyone have any idea what the hell is wrong with my 9800gt, i'll welcome any opinions!
hope you guys can help me in this.... thanks in advance!!!^_^

More about : wrong 9800gt

October 2, 2008 8:05:23 PM

knives0610 your gpu temp looks to high for me,I've got the 9800gtx and even at full load never gets over 55c I would try ajusting the fan speed on the 9800gt and see if that helps. you can do that with a fan mate 2 or a software program like ntune.hope this helps you out
a b Î Nvidia
October 2, 2008 8:06:56 PM

Driver problem I says. Uninstall the catalyst drivers, boot into safe mode, go into the device manager and remove any display adapters listed, then reboot to enter your BIOS and disable your IGP. After you do that try and install your 9800 again. Just to be sure though you should try it at stock speeds. You may have to manually set your PCI-E and HT Link speed in the BIOS to make sure your overclocking efforts are not throwing them off.
Related resources
October 2, 2008 8:47:57 PM

@major53:
yup! i kinda think that software monitoring is giving me wrong values for my gpu temp. gonna try using a digital therm on the backboard of the card to really see its temp.

@Megamanx00:
i've already done all that you've said even before plugging the 9800gt on my system for the first time. while the 9800gt is in my system, only the core FSB of my CPU(from 200MHz to 231MHz) and voltage(from 1.3v to 1.4v) is modified, nothing else. i've never OC'ed this 9800gt yet....but i'm thinking of doing so...hmmmmm...

i forgot to mention i also tried running RTHDRIBL 1.2 @ FS1280x1024,all options set at high. kept it running for 6 hours and nothing bad happened.

could it be that my PSU is not supplying enough juice to my card? this have two 6-pin power connectors and i'm only using one right now. i'll try to use both later, we'll see the outcome...... i hope......^_^

anyway, thanks for the opinions guys! i really appreciate it! :) 
October 2, 2008 8:56:57 PM

knives0610 if that card has 2- 6 pin connectors on the video card you should us both of them.that could be your problem.
October 2, 2008 9:00:52 PM

Please post the update when you connect both power connectors. Is there any difference ?
October 2, 2008 9:09:36 PM

major53 said:
knives0610 if that card has 2- 6 pin connectors on the video card you should us both of them.that could be your problem.

knives0610 the 9800gt only has 1 6 pin connector on the video card so it's not the up above post I wrote sorry.

set the fan speed higher on the video card and then check temp after 2 or 3 hours of use,
October 2, 2008 9:14:51 PM

I had this same problem, only i would be playing a game on my 8800GT AKIMBO and it would just like outline everyhting with green after about 2 hrs of gameplay and go to a blue screen of doom. And it wasnt overheating... I took my OC down and reinstalled the drivers and it hasn't done it since, IMO it was the drivers because i can stablely play games now since i've "reclocked" it...

Oh and vista and my bios also said it was a driver issue..

This might help, i'm not sure :D 

Oh and am i reading that right? its getting up to 80C under load? If so i wouldn't be suprised if you were having problems. And that reminds me i also upped the fan speed from 65% on my GT to 75% after those errors happened and like i said they havent happened since..
October 2, 2008 9:21:31 PM

alrighty! i've connected both power now on the card and with much anticipation(not to mention a pair of crossed fingers) started to run 3dmark 06..... What a suprise!! it finished without a hitch. i thought, "is this the real deal?" so i rerun the benchmark again for the 2nd time, but this time at HDR test 2 it crashed again with the same error!! WHAT THE HELL?!?! :fou: 

i haven't yet measured the cards temp with a digital therm but i installed the xtreme tuner software that came with the package and its reporting that its running @ 63C with fanspeed @80% at the time of the crash......

hmmm.....maybe i should overclock this thing and see what happens........ :D 
October 2, 2008 9:23:46 PM

@major53
this model from galaxy has two 6-pin power connector. here's a pic
October 2, 2008 9:24:33 PM

knives0610 said:
alrighty! i've connected both power now on the card and with much anticipation(not to mention a pair of crossed fingers) started to run 3dmark 06..... What a suprise!! it finished without a hitch. i thought, "is this the real deal?" so i rerun the benchmark again for the 2nd time, but this time at HDR test 2 it crashed again with the same error!! WHAT THE HELL?!?! :fou: 

i haven't yet measured the cards temp with a digital therm but i installed the xtreme tuner software that came with the package and its reporting that its running @ 63C with fanspeed @80% at the time of the crash......

hmmm.....maybe i should overclock this thing and see what happens........ :D 

Sounds like one of 3 things:

Faulty card

Bad drivers

Overheating

Since it worked the first time and didn't the second.. it makes me think its overheating because haaving done one test would have given it time to heat up enough to cause problems.. Just for curiosity do have you called Galaxy and asked their tech about it? And do you have a warranty for this thing?
October 2, 2008 9:27:01 PM

knives0610 said:
@major53
this model from galaxy has two 6-pin power connector. here's a pic

Interesting... I'm fairly certain my 8800GT with dual slot cooler only had one connector, wonder why they thought they needed two..

oh well.

About all i can suggest is calling the manufacture's tech support..
October 2, 2008 9:31:57 PM

OMG! calling tech support from galaxy from here is out of the question, since i bought it in Hongkong less than a month ago, not to mention the warranty since i wont be going back there again for some time....

any other ideas?....

what to do?

what to do?

:(  :(  :( 
October 2, 2008 9:47:10 PM

knives0610 said:
OMG! calling tech support from galaxy from here is out of the question, since i bought it in Hongkong less than a month ago, not to mention the warranty since i wont be going back there again for some time....

any other ideas?....

what to do?

what to do?

:(  :(  :( 

ouch. and mega ouch..

Well, try this: redo ALL the drivers, delete em all and do a fresh install.. Second get it as cool as you can... and check its temps whenever you try to do that test.. and third, repent reboot and reflect.

oh you say it stopped working on the HDR test? Try playing a game with HDR turned off... and see if it helps ( i bet you already have done this but its worht a shot if you havent..)

Other than that I really don't know what to say lol.. honestly if it is THAT hot (80C) with 3 80 mm fnas and 2 other fans than i think something is screwed up with your card..
October 2, 2008 10:49:20 PM

Ahhh... I had a similar problem. I upgraded my good ol 7900GS to an HD4870 (:o )
It would crash in 3D Mark and even hang in regular WinXP. I tried everything, I deleted EVERYTHING related to NVIDIA and it still continued to hang.... so, I finally gave up and just did a FULL reinstall of Windows. Works fine now. Never locks up... ever, though for some reason I get sound looping in TF2 for about 4 seconds about 10 minutes into a game no matter what... its very frustrating :/ 
October 3, 2008 12:50:40 AM

your system was working fine until you installed the 9600,so from here it looks like one of two things are suspect:::the 9600 itself,or,,the psu,,the kicker is that you are getting an error message,that would seem to indicate that there is a problem with the 9600,,
you need to test it on another system,and if it works then your psu is suspect and if it does not work,,,,
rma it asap, one more thought you can reinstall windoze right over your present setup,,maybe get lucky,??,
just checked with nvidia site and it indicates that the physics capability is included in current drivers for everything from the 8800 and on,,maybe try without..
and as far as the heat situation is concerned,,why not take off the cooler and apply your own ,say some AC5,also give you the opportunity to make sure that the cooler ,is properly installed,i guess you won't be doing an rma to hong kong..:( .....:) 
October 3, 2008 5:14:32 AM

what the hell is wrong this card?!?!

since i'm going nowhere with its current configuration, i tried overclocking it to see what happens...
i searched the web for some info on 9800GT from the other manufacturers to see their clock settings so i can compare it with Galaxy's default clock settings. with that in mind i tried simulating some of the other clock frequency, so i tried this one....

heres the pics:

the wierd thing is, all the problems that i've been having miraculously disappear! What The...?!?

im playing CS:Source and GRID now at the highest settings @1280x1024, i even have to enable vsync because of some image tearing...

gonna test this some more just to make sure...^_^
!