Sign in with
Your question

SATA power problem

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2010 11:19:27 PM

I recently purchased a Samsung 500GB SATA HDD & a Molex to SATA power converter, as my PSU does not have any SATA connectors on it. When I boot my machine up the BIOS will not recognize the SATA drive and it doesn't sound as if it is spinning. However, if I plug in the power adapter during the time the machine is booting, the HDD begins to spin and is recognized by the BIOS & functions normally. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be & what might need to be done to resolve the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

More about : sata power problem

a b G Storage
February 10, 2010 12:26:17 AM

Verify that the molex-to-sata power connector is firmly seated and making the proper contact - success from your pushing on it while the system is booting may indicate the connection is not properly seated.
m
l
February 10, 2010 9:04:30 PM

treefrog07 said:
Verify that the molex-to-sata power connector is firmly seated and making the proper contact - success from your pushing on it while the system is booting may indicate the connection is not properly seated.

It will function properly after going through the aforementioned process, then I can reboot without touching a thing and it will not be recognized by the BIOS again until I unplug it and replug during startup. That tells me that it is most likely seated properly and the problem lies somewhere else.
m
l
Related resources
February 11, 2010 1:36:44 AM

try to increase the Hard disk spin-up delay in the bios
m
l
February 11, 2010 1:37:18 AM

Have you connected the drive to one of your mobo's SATA ports?
m
l
February 11, 2010 10:48:22 PM

masterjaw said:
Have you connected the drive to one of your mobo's SATA ports?

Of course. How else would I know if it was functioning properly?
m
l
!