SATA power problem

I recently purchased a Samsung 500GB SATA HDD & a Molex to SATA power converter, as my PSU does not have any SATA connectors on it. When I boot my machine up the BIOS will not recognize the SATA drive and it doesn't sound as if it is spinning. However, if I plug in the power adapter during the time the machine is booting, the HDD begins to spin and is recognized by the BIOS & functions normally. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be & what might need to be done to resolve the problem?

Any help is appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about sata power problem
  1. Verify that the molex-to-sata power connector is firmly seated and making the proper contact - success from your pushing on it while the system is booting may indicate the connection is not properly seated.
  2. treefrog07 said:
    Verify that the molex-to-sata power connector is firmly seated and making the proper contact - success from your pushing on it while the system is booting may indicate the connection is not properly seated.

It will function properly after going through the aforementioned process, then I can reboot without touching a thing and it will not be recognized by the BIOS again until I unplug it and replug during startup. That tells me that it is most likely seated properly and the problem lies somewhere else.
  3. try to increase the Hard disk spin-up delay in the bios
  4. Have you connected the drive to one of your mobo's SATA ports?
  5. masterjaw said:
    Have you connected the drive to one of your mobo's SATA ports?

Of course. How else would I know if it was functioning properly?
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Power Storage