Sign in with
Your question

Screencap all windows

Last response: in Windows XP
February 7, 2011 11:12:52 PM

Hey all,

I'm looking for an app that will screencap all open windows (focused/unfocused/minimised/maximised) and dump to an image file/s (like jpg or whatever). I have actually been searching for such a tool for > 10 years, but still no dice. Does anyone know any app with this functionality?

I'm searching for this so that I can dump out my desktop "state" when I need to reboot due to system instability (something Microsoft has failed to overcome in 30 years of O/S releases, and will continue to fail at). That way after the reboot, I can check out the image file/s to remember what apps/emails/docs I had open and get back to where I was, in a similar manner to bookmarking all open tabs in a web-browser and restarting it. If anyone knows a better way to do this than image dumps please chip in.

Also FYI I usually have about 30-40 things open at a time, which includes about a dozen apps, a dozen emails, about a dozen word docs, and a dozen spreadsheets. Being able to "bookmark" all of these would be so supersweet I would wet my pants. If such an app would also index child windows in each app (such as tabs in web browser) I would be so happy I would probably start having a seizure :) 

With an app like this I could ideally just press "dump all", wait a minute and then just yank the cord from my computer and reboot, rather than fiddling around with each app and jotting down what is open. Currently that process takes a good 5-10 minutes and I have to do this at least once a day.

thanks for any help/ideas!

More about : screencap windows

February 9, 2011 11:08:58 AM

hi deel

iam looking for this one 2 ....

why wont you use a screen captcher program?

for the opened tabs\windows theres program called IE7PRO which able to restore

all of the crashed tabs\windows ...also when you opened alot windows and you fee the system going to stuck you can kill the iexplorer.exe service and the IE7PR0
will restore it
m
l
February 9, 2011 1:01:12 PM

Windows creates a log/dump file when there is a crash, and has entries in the Application/Security/System log, look in the Event Viewer.

You're issue is that you have as you say "30-40" things open. 95% of the time Windows does not crash, but rather a program running on Windows does.

Anyway, if your system is crashed/locked, how are you going to run a screen capture utility on the computer?

If you have to do this once a day or more, you need to look at how you use your computer and/or upgrade your system to a top of the line one. Also go to Windows 7, it's not hugely more stable than XP, but is more stable. If you are running 30+ apps you have about 8-16 gig of RAM, a 3+ gig dual core or quad CPU and a fast drive right? If not, don't bother looking for a picture utility, but work on getting your system up to par for what you are using it for.
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2011 12:44:18 AM

OK the event viewer tip is a good one, but I should add some more context here. I am not requiring this utility because my computer CRASHES, it's because it becomes UNSTABLE. E.g. Sooner or later right-click menus just stop showing up, window menus in applications stop working or show up blank, applications will not start and just exit silently, or they do start but fail to render an actual window, so you can see the process in task manager but effectively the program is not "there". Lot's of weird little malfunctiony type things, and it affects most applications simultaneously, so these are not application faults, it's an OS fault. Also sometimes the taskbar will stop responding. Sometimes I can get it stable again for a while if I kill & restart the 'explorer' process, but it doesn't work for long.

The issue is not that I have 30-40 things open. A decent OS should be able to have 1000 things open, as long as it hasn't exhausted hardware resources like memory/pagefile/CPU. Windows doesn't do this, because Microsoft doesn't know how to write software that works. My computer is not top-of-the-line, but I can't do anything about that anyway because it's a work computer owned by the company. However, it's not terrible and can run 40 apps no problems for 20 or so hours before things start to go wacky. So you see my need to (at that stage) dump out window state and perform a manual reboot to get it back to stability. It's similar to the issues you get with applications that leak memory, sooner or later your pagefile fills up and although the OS won't *crash*, it won't run properly.

This problem is not related to memory leaks though, it's just that Microsoft OS's inherently need to be rebooted regularly because they, well, suck. At least in the stability department. So I'm looking for a tool that will help with this process and take the 'manual labor' out of it.

Also, the tip about IE7/8 restoring tabs is a good one - I already know about that. Firefox will do it to, and it is handy. When firefox is using 500mb of pagefile (due to memory leak) I use 'tskill firefox', and then start it up again, and it gives me the option of restoring tabs which is awesome, I just wish there was a way to do this with everything else I have open before I reboot the machine.

Thanks for your help guys, but I still need more!

ps. I know I can manually go and screencap all the windows and save as images, but it's a pain when you've got 30 or 40 odd windows to do this to, surely there must be some kind of debugging tool that has this functionality??
m
l
February 10, 2011 12:50:02 AM

Oh also, I'd LOVE to be able to run Win 7, and I'm sure it would help, but as I said it's a work PC, so I'm stuck with SOE which is XP Pro SP2 (until further notice) :( 
m
l
February 10, 2011 11:50:13 AM

hi deel

as i said before iam looking for it to

whenever you find someting that works for you , remeber to notice me as well

right now firts you better update your SP2 to sp3

*microsoft doesnt support it anymore

and about the program , i think now you can use several programs untill something would be found....

instead screen captch for pics

use camera program so you can capture on video all your activity and restore later

http://download.cnet.com/My-Screen-Recorder/3000-13633_...

m
l
February 10, 2011 1:26:25 PM

You did not list your system specs here, and I will tell you right now, that ANY OS you run 30 things on will bog down unless you feed it tons of resources. How much RAM do you have, how fast is the CPU? Have you looked at Task Manager to see how much resources you are using vs. how much is free? FYI, MS bashing is old news, it's just people repeating people who heard someone say something 10 years ago.
m
l
February 10, 2011 9:30:16 PM

hang-the-9 said:
You did not list your system specs here, and I will tell you right now, that ANY OS you run 30 things on will bog down unless you feed it tons of resources. How much RAM do you have, how fast is the CPU? Have you looked at Task Manager to see how much resources you are using vs. how much is free? FYI, MS bashing is old news, it's just people repeating people who heard someone say something 10 years ago.

Dude, my system specs don't matter. I'm not trying to make my system more stable. I'm looking for a tool that will screencap all windows. If you can't help, why are you replying? And your logic stating that any OS will fail or "bog down" while running 30 things is frankly ridiculous, obviously you've never worked with linux or unix and their variants. And yes I have looked at task manager, even with everything open, I have left over memory and pagefile. It's not the amount of processes you are running that matters, it's how resource hungry what you *are* running is, relative to the resources available. And FYI, I've been MS bashing for 15 years now and I'm a windows application programmer. There's a reason people do it, and it's not always because they read it on a forum somewhere or because they think thats what the cool kids do. I would still never use Apple stuff, I'm a PC person, but PC's have N E V E R been reliable/stable since Windows 3.1 (assuming we're only talking about MS OS's here). The last time they were stable was MS DOS 6.2
If you believe otherwise, you're relatively new to all this and probably can't help me.
m
l
February 11, 2011 12:51:55 PM

deelawz said:
Dude, my system specs don't matter. I'm not trying to make my system more stable. I'm looking for a tool that will screencap all windows. If you can't help, why are you replying? And your logic stating that any OS will fail or "bog down" while running 30 things is frankly ridiculous, obviously you've never worked with linux or unix and their variants. And yes I have looked at task manager, even with everything open, I have left over memory and pagefile. It's not the amount of processes you are running that matters, it's how resource hungry what you *are* running is, relative to the resources available. And FYI, I've been MS bashing for 15 years now and I'm a windows application programmer. There's a reason people do it, and it's not always because they read it on a forum somewhere or because they think thats what the cool kids do. I would still never use Apple stuff, I'm a PC person, but PC's have N E V E R been reliable/stable since Windows 3.1 (assuming we're only talking about MS OS's here). The last time they were stable was MS DOS 6.2
If you believe otherwise, you're relatively new to all this and probably can't help me.

Ah..so instead of finding a fix you just want to complain about it. Got it.
m
l
February 13, 2011 8:21:16 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Ah..so instead of finding a fix you just want to complain about it. Got it.

You're an idiot. Go away and don't come back.
m
l
!