Sign in with
Your question

New Computer boot for a second and turns off

Last response: in Systems
September 8, 2008 6:53:58 AM

I am building a New computer for my friend, but we have encountered a problem.
After all are connected, the computer will only boot up for 0.5 to 1 second and shuts off.
It doesn't have time to get to POST, no beep with spaker hooked up
All fans, lights are working. Below are my specs.

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35
EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F
PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS750QBL 750W ATX12V
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
Zalmen 9700 cpu cooler
Xtream gamer pro sound card

The LED light on the motherboard is on if i swich on the oiwer suppy.
the screws they give me 8 red rings, are those spacers? i tried it with and without, still shuts off 1 sec.
Tried 1 ram = Shuts off in 1 sec
Took out 2 6pin connecter to the video card = Shuts off in 1 sec

Could it be the power supply is DOA? i got it all on Newegg.com
I am going to test it tommorw with my own power supply.
What other things could i try to find out what is the problem?

More about : computer boot turns

September 8, 2008 6:58:36 AM

You say "boots up" and you mean "powers up", but how are you powering it up? With the on/off switch on the back of the power supply, or the button on the front of the case?
September 8, 2008 7:00:19 AM

power supply's on/off swich is on
i press the power button in the front of the case and it runs for a sec and just shuts off
Related resources
September 8, 2008 7:09:53 AM

4/8 pin power from psu to cpu 12v atx power. "Plug it in!!!"
September 8, 2008 7:19:00 AM

You need bios 0705 or later for your cpu to work, but I'm betting on the 4/8 pin.
September 8, 2008 7:26:10 AM

isunelan said:
power supply's on/off swich is on
i press the power button in the front of the case and it runs for a sec and just shuts off

That behavior is normally caused by a ground fault on the back of the motherboard. Make sure you have ONLY enough standoffs (the metal spacers) to line up with the holes that are in your motherboard. You probably have one screwed in somewhere that doesn't line up with a hole.
September 8, 2008 7:41:30 AM

I have 9 holes on the motherboard, and I have 9 metal spacer at the back. The only other thing I have on the back of the M/B is the stand that the 9700 needs which is plastic.
and for bios, i need to put my old Pentium D930 to it and reflash it and then use q9450?

And now that you said about the 4/8 pin. I DID FORGET TO CONNECT IT, but the computer is not with my right now. Thanks for all the fast responsem i will redo the 4/8 connecter and update tommorw Thanks again.
September 8, 2008 11:11:02 AM

mega uber lols

but crashman basically said what i was going too... those darn spacers are always a kick in the @$$
September 8, 2008 11:25:52 AM

One other thing it could be but i am sure it is just the connector you left off the motherboard. is if you did not remove plastic from heat sink for cpu it will do this. I have built 100 or more system and finally did this last week. lol it blew my mind trying to find problem.
September 13, 2008 5:52:14 PM

After all it is the 4/8 pin not pluged in. I can not belive i do not remember anything about it lol. Thanks for all your help. You guys are great ^ . ^
!