Abit ix38 quad GT screams at CPU temps

jhferry

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
So far so good until I go to boot.

I get to verifying dmi pool data and then it starts screaming, like a siren. At first I thought it was overheating. So I booted from an XP disk and it was fine. The problem seems to be booting from the HD.

I have 2 WD drives, one is 640GB (boot) the other is a 500GB.

If I disconnect the second, the system does boot into XP. It just wont stop screaming so for now I have the 500GB disconnected.

Currently my bios is default but I have Sata chip set on AHCI

Under my Standard Cmos settings, I do not see the drive under Sata Channel 1 however it shows up under boot options.

If I change the Sata chip settings to IDE then I see it under Standard Cmos settings but it still screams.

If I disconnect the main boot drive, I get the same screaming from the second drive as well (I know there is no OS there but it shouldnt scream like that)

I can also see the contents of both drives from Erd commander 2005 but the Windows XP recovery gives a directory enumeration error (both disks)

This is an RMA from Abit. What is wrong here? Is this another bad board?

jhferry

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
So its now doing it when I boot from the XP cd as well. I am running a chkdsk now. I cant run it from the XP recovery but I can run it from within Windows. If it wasnt for this siren, you wouldnt know anything it wrong.

jhferry

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2002
Ok, getting to the problem now.

This is my Temp monitoring:

Reading Beep temp
CPU 103c/217f 75c/167F
system 35c/95f 55c/131f

Obviously, cpu is the issue here. This is a new CPU (RMA'd from intel)

I am not OC'ing. This is idle temps. I checked the intel stock heatsink, it is really on there. The cover is off the case as well. Why is this thing running so hot or maybe it is misreading the temp?

This is a core 2 duo 8400.
jhferry is offline Reply With Quote

sufoexe

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
This motherboard causes a bunch of problem...I have one too...and you can see my other post where it wont support my brand spanking new 4850 x2 phooey :cry:

anyway. Ive discover that most of the time its the stupid new bios. The latest bios would hard boot the motherboard and failed to clock my q9500 at stock speed, it would downgrade it to 6x multiplier :heink:. So if you have the latest bios try reverting back to an earlier one.

Another thing you could try is taking the battery out for 5 minute then put it back in, that helps last time when my motherboard would not post because of something i change in the bios.

good luck. I another brand mother that starts with an A and couldnt be happier...i guess you do get what you pay for.

Hot Gossip

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
I have almost the identical setup and the same problems! Whats going on here is issues with the Bios. The Motherboard works fine with a crappy Graphic Card but use anything decent like a Gigabyte 9800GTX+ and it fast becomes a nightmare. My recommendation send back the motherboard and get something decent! Finally it's a waste of time trying to contact ABIT they are useless.
Regards - Hot Gossip