Status
Not open for further replies.

wacky7

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
yeah it what I meant to get rid of static and even the fan is on it. So I figure mabe we do need to ground it.have a ground wire hooked up and tap it to PSU. but if you say lap it. Does the CPU ground it selfout?

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I don't think he even has an idea of what he is talking about... Yeah connect the Heatsink to the power supply so the power supply can absorb some heat... You dont need to "ground" a heatsink, unless you plan on hitting it with lightning. If these is static in your PC like that then I must ask what kind of thermal paste are you using!? Is the heatsink covered in fur or carpets!?

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
lol ok. I guess I just didn't think of that as I've never heard of anyone wanting to ground it. Why would you need to ground the heatsink?? I've never heard of anyone getting electrostatic buildup there when the comp is put together correctly...

wacky7

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Just wondering. never know right?just a thought. for extra safey safey thought it need ground lol.

wel The Blood Raven reason for hooking a ground wire to the PSU all PSU have a ground system on the outside of the powersupplies or there ground wire.

Kari

Splendid
what about the IHS on the cpu? is it grounded through the contacts on the cpu itself, or is it just 'floating' there not connected to anything electrically? If it is grounded, the heatsink would also be grounded automatically (at least with conducting TIMs)...

odjwizardo

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
hi all

i can give you a good reason for grounding your cpu

on some pc's on the sound you can here a high pitched sound when moving the mouse or running apps
well i have this problem

but i have found out where its coming from i got a mic with my pa system and held it over parts of my pc such as main bored psu and lisend for the sound the sound is coming from my cpu heat sink and is being picked up and sent out to the sound card so i have had to use an optical out put so clean up my sound before putting it in to my pa set up

this worked well but the power amp 2000w is still picking it up and sounding it out it doing my head in and id like to ground the cpu or add more screening round it

so any ideas ? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.