4870x2 only in Windows safemode?

tjoepie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Hi guys,

I have a new Gainward 4870x2 and I can only get it to work in Windows (64b) safemode.
Does this mean the card is working or do gfx in safemode not need the gpu to work?
I was wondering if it was a hardware of driver or other problem...
The fan works and exhausts hot air as expected so that seems like a good sign.
I have a 1000W PSU with a 6 and 8 pins cable connected.

If I startup normally my screen goes black after the initial boot screens just before the windows sign should become visible.
I updated the bios of my Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (F9) and installed th lastest catalyst 9.8 drivers for vista 64 but nothing helps.
In safemode all the drivers seem correctly installed and no problems are mentioned...
I've been triyng everything I could think of the last few days and even reinstalled windows a couple of times :-(
The card was bought online so it's not as easy to bring it back and talk to someone at a store.

Any input would be grately appreciated.

tjoepie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I've tried that several times, I also used driver sweeper before doing so.
Could installing an even older driver help?
I have tried with the newest and the one I got on the cd.

tjoepie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I've done that too...
some strange things:
Looking in device manager I noticed the pc starts up normally if I switch off both gpu's.
In those drivers there is mention of windows32\..., should that not have to be windows64\... since I use vista 64?
I installed the 64 version of the catalyst 8.9 , but it says 8.530.0.0 in device manager.

Kari

Splendid
btw as far as i know windows doesn't load GPU drivers in safe mode, so it really points to a driver related problem...

You mentioned you have reinstalled windows couple of times, so I assume it was working without the drivers?

sciggy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I had the same issue using a DVI monitor. If you go to ATI's forums there are a few different fixes for people that work. Some entail hooking up with the VGA port and then switching to DVI, others deal with settings in CCC. Check it out.

tjoepie

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I had already downloaded the latest Bios but thanks to sciggy I found the problem and it seems I'm far from being the only one.
The problem seems to be the frequency that is being send on the DVI is to high for a TFT screen (around 74).
And so as soon as windows loads in normal mode th catalyst drivers put it there... and then nothing but a blank screen.
On the forum below some have been able to cope with different kinds of solutions but nothing to realy fix the problem it seems.
Sounds like ATI should work on this one!

Yesterday I tought I found the solution, lowering the frequency in the CCC.
The problem is that you can't get into the CCC in safemode so you need a monitor that accepts or transforms the to high frequency so that you get a screen with a normal start. I used an old 17" TFT with a DVI to VGA adaptor.
After some troubleshooting I suddenly got something on my screen and could lower the frequency in the ccc. Altough it could have been luck or something else I did because I caused the problem to come back by changing a video setting in Crysis and now I'm back to safe mode... :-(
Unfortunatly I don't have access anymore to the DVI to VGA plug so I can't test that theory anymore...

Anyway if someone knows anything else I would be very gratefull.

My system: Q9550 (no OC yet), 8gb DDR2, Gygabyte P45, Gainward 4870x2

See: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=96981&STARTPAGE=2&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

PLS FIX THIS ATI !!!

My expensive 4870x2 is nothing more than an expensive heater now :)

Kari

Splendid
hmm. can't you just change the refresh freq in safe mode in the desktop properties-settings etc.? or is the ccc overriding those settings once it's loaded? I used to do it with older ati drivers quite a few times and it worked just fine back then...

jezza333

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I had the same problem when I first installed the drivers - the display went blank. I had to reset the machine and start in safe mode to change the resolution to something I knew my old CRT could handle.