Dual Monitors - Need somehelp

bloodcraze

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Im looking to put together a new computer for a few features I dont have on my current computer.

#1 I WANT dual monitors. Now heres the question. I play World of Warcraft in window mode but maximized to my screen ( so basically you see the windows toolbar but its much better for alt tabbing) Now heres what I want to do. I want it so I can run x2 Copys of WOW at the sametime on each monitor , so account #1 on my left monitor, account #2 on my right monitor.... Now from what I know you cant run SLI and dual monitors, I could be wrong. What would you suggest for this tho so it can be run max settings and run flawlessly I hate lag more then anything. Do I run just 1 card and plug both monitors into it? Or should I just get a pair of say 260 / 280 GTX and dont put them in SLI but run them seprate? Also for the desktop settings I want it just run exented so I can drag stuff into the monitor (vent , google chrome ect...) Any help on this would be awesome

#2 What Monitor should I go for? Currently I have a Syncmaster Samsung 226BW (22 inch 3000:1 / 1000:1 ) I was looking at the new samsung rose or whatever its called thats the 22 inch thats 10,000:1 ... Is that really going to look that much better as far as picture quality? Also if I use my old monitor and the new monitor even tho they are the same size is that going to mess with my dual monitor setup?

#3 Powersupply im lost here... Currently I have the Thermaltake W0106RU 700W Complies With ATX 12V EPS 12V Verison SLI cert 80 PLUS is that going to be enough guts to run say x2 260 or 280gtx? I currently have x1 8800 GTX 768 MB( Personaly I hate that card more then any video card ive ever bought I really havnt had too many problems with it, but sometimes I swear it runs worse then the 7800GT I had. Oh and its hot as hell not that it matters I have a Thermaltake Armor series case with x2 90mm fans, x4 120mm fans.

#4 Proc is it worth upgrade from a Q6600 to say E8500 / E8600? Anther thing ive HATED more then anything is this quad core. Im not too much into overclocking even tho I should be I currently have a 680i but I hate the low clock speed on it... So for gaming stick with the Q6600 since im going to be running x2 games or go to the E8600?

#5 Motherboard Should I upgrade to a 780i just for PCI-E 2.0? or should I just stick with the 680i? The only reason I ask is pretty much jsut because if I buy x2 new graphics cards and im bottlenecked by my motherboard thats no fun.

#6 1 Veloraptor or x2 7200rpm HDs in raid 0 ? Whats your thoughts on which is better

Sorry for this being the size of a book and im sure you have a bunch of stuff you have to answer, but any help on these 6 questions would be huge help. Im going to be ordering the stuff sometime this week. Thanks.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Velociraptors have shown only negligible performance over RAID. RAID will probably only help load times, not a ton in overall performance. I would get the Western Digital 640 GB hard drive (or drives if you plan on RAID)

I think you may need a dedicated card for each monitor for that kind of setup. Supposedly nVidia will realease the "big bang II" which will allow SLI and multiple monitor support this month (SEPT 08). I also read that you could pair different cards, so they wouldn't have to be identical models.

I don't think upgrading from the Q6600 is a good idea. I have an E8400 and love it, but I hear you can overclock that Quad pretty well.

I have the same monitor and like it. I think the new ones are just as nice, probably nicer. Samsung has always been good for me.

I think the PSU will be OK as long as you don't end up with some extreme high end card in there to accompany your GTX.

I don't think the upgrade to 780i is worth it, but that's up to you. It will be better bandwidth, but I hear that nothing has even pushed that limit yet.
I think your PSU will be OK, unless you go for really high end card

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
You show me that they are running 4 instances of the same game on 1 computer and not have software conflicts and I will admit i'm wrong, but guess what? I bet they have more then 1 computer and monitor. Just for a experiment for yourself, see if you can get a 2nd WoW game started on your comp while you have 1 up already?

chris312

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
For WoW you don't really need GTX 260 or 280. An 8800GT will max it out just fine on a 22".

I would hardly call going from a Q6600 to E8000 series for WoW an upgrade. You might get a couple more frames in other games but not that one. There are better ways to spend money on your computer, imo. If the Q6600 is not fast enough for you, maybe check temps and see if it's throttling down?

Don't get a new motherboard just for PCI-Express 2.0.

It sounds like you have a lot of money that you want to pour into your computer. Unless you want to dualbox WoW AND max out Crysis, I'd recommend that you only spend what you need to get what you want now, and build a Nehalem PC that much sooner with the rest.