Need Some Help With This Please!!!

guitar4ya

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Ok well I've searched online for this, but I can't seem to find anything that will work. Anyways, I'm visiting my parents and they were using a pc about 2 months ago and they said it was working fine and booting up. Anyways, I tried to plug it in and no video at all came out. It's a few years old so it has old hardware which hopefully is a good thing because someone has probably ran into this. Anyways, it's an ASUS A7N8X mobo which has the audible post voice when you have speakers plugged in. That being said, when I plug speakers in, I don't hear any POST at all... I unplugged the video card and turned it on still no post sounds. I cleared CMOS and started it again and still no post sound. I don't even hear a beep from the PC speaker. I thought all this was weird seeing as the pc hasn't been touched in 2 months but leave it to computers to just randomly do stuff like this lol. When the video card is fully seated the AGP warning light does not come on at all either so I'm assuming that the voltage is ok.. If the actual battery on the mobo is dead could that cause it to not post? I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight to this problem. Thanks

guitar4ya

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Yes... All fans power on, hard drives come on. I think one of the optical drives has a disk in it because i hear those powering on as well. The Heatsink fan comes on, video card fan comes on everything. I just don't hear any post errors or pc speaker beeps nothing.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
You might start removing components and see if she responds. Just use one stick of ram at a time and try all that you may have. If you're down to just the cpu, video card, and have tried every individual stick of ram all with no response, she may be dead.

guitar4ya

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Yea i just think it's weird that it was working 2 months ago and nothing has changed It's been sitting not hooked up for 2 months I dunno... I just wasn't in the mood to do all this troubleshooting lol...

mitsubishiuk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
When I had an nf2 board it would behave similarly when IDE devices weren't perfectly to it's liking, so I'd make sure they are all plugged in properly.

Obviously the next step is to strip it back to basics, unplug everything so you have mobo, cpu, ram(1 stick), vga and psu... and see what it makes of that.

Dead CMOS batteries can cause some bizarreness on older systems, so although not too likely, it's worth trying another if you have one.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Sounds like ither dead Cmos battery or possibly PSU failure... I've had PSU failure that did this exact same thing. All fans start up but no POST.

guitar4ya

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Well I know that my mother had the PSU and some other things like the video card replaced several months ago.. The mobo light comes on so I dunno..

guitar4ya

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Just to update I unplugged everything except the CPU and powered on and still didn't hear any post. Also I asked my parents about it and they said when they were actually using it, it would randomly restart. Don't know if that was a windows software issue or if it's related to this.

toadworks

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
First work out you hardware issue, then work out the software issue if any is there.....
First rule out the psu....take it to your local computer store and have it check or a Power Supply Tester is realy the only way to know for sure... Some psu's are china knock off's of good china psu's! They might say ratted at 500watts but in a real world with a load it is more like 250. If you suck 110% out of it for days or weeks at a time it will get bug-eeeeee. Restart on its own and all kind of neat tricks that drive a builder nuts.....
Get a old board out and test piece by piece till you get to the part that fails.....
There is no fast answer or magic help.....Just a little elbow grease and a little time.......
Do not and I mean DO NOT get a volt meter out and start probing...... I am very concerned about the ability of a switched PSU to function without a much load and, have experienced the explosive burn out of one when mains has been applied without any connections to the output. Trust me when I tell you it was not worth the 5 dollar best by my stupid, stupid, stupid old boss!
Be careful not to switch on without a load or boom!!

Toadworks

PS: even the paperclip trick can do it!

guitar4ya

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Sorry when i posted that hadn't seen that someone posted... I'm suspecting PSU too... Aparantly it was replaced, but I don't know what kind it is there's no brand name it says SL-500 on it but other than that not stamped with any brand. It's new years so doubt the local shop is open here...

guitar4ya

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Ok well I'm retarded... My parents live in germany and the guy at the shop changed the power supply to a euro version which is 220 V and not 120 lol. But there's no 120 to 220 switch like i've seen on most and so I figured it might automatically adjust somehow. I'm from the states and just visiting my parents in europe and I was going to take this back to the states so now i'm probably gonna have to find a way in the US to get 220 to it or else swap it with a US PSU... Oh well I didn't think about it cuz that would've been the last thing on my mind lol... ANyways got it solved