Sign in with
Your question

Disk read error occurred

Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2010 5:27:48 AM

After my Windows XP SP2 installation somehow got corrupted, I attempted to reinstall Windows from the XPsp2 CD. After the setup files were copied from the CD to the disk and the system rebooted, I get the same message, "A DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart"

I've tested the hard disk a few times using the disk utilites, and no errors are found. I've even performed the "write zeros to drive" function. And the error still occurs...I am considering purchasing a new HDD but I am not sure if should, since I've found no trouble to the drive.
February 10, 2010 6:08:22 AM

sam 10 said:
After my Windows XP SP2 installation somehow got corrupted, I attempted to reinstall Windows from the XPsp2 CD. After the setup files were copied from the CD to the disk and the system rebooted, I get the same message, "A DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart"

I've tested the hard disk a few times using the disk utilites, and no errors are found. I've even performed the "write zeros to drive" function. And the error still occurs...I am considering purchasing a new HDD but I am not sure if should, since I've found no trouble to the drive.

If anyone has any ideas to resolve this - please let me know...
a b G Storage
February 10, 2010 11:55:27 AM

Have you tried the Error Scan function of HD Tune? (not the quick scan)
!