Only 1280 and 1680 resolution...nothing in between?

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I have a Samsung T220 LCD (using DVI input) and an Xfx Geforce 8800 GS xxx (alpha dog) edition. I can adjust my screen resolution to 1280x1024 or 1680x1050 (also 1680x900). I can't get any resolutions in between. Is this normal?

My old card and old Samsung 20" LCD allowed me to use resolution in the 1400's. 1680 is too small for my eyesight and 1280 doesn't really take advantage of the larger screen size.

Any ideas why I'm limited to the above resolutions?

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
you should be able to set it to a res. in between 1280 and 1680 make sure you have a correct driver. because normaly this issue is present when not having a gpu driver.

emaxxman

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I have the latest drivers from Samsung and XFX. That's why I'm perplexed.

Does it have anything to do with the "native resolution" of the LCD? Not sure what native resolution actually means.

I've only been using LCD's for a few months and my old PC was dog. I'm only now able to start playing around with more settings since I got a new PC.

marklp

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
The issue is the EDID of the monitor doesn't have that as a supported resolution. I am sure your video card is able to support that resolution.
What I would do is use the 1680x1050 native resolution of the monitor but make your fonts bigger. That's what I do.
If you are using WinXP go to the desktop and right click on it and select properties. Click on the advance button. Click on the General tab if it is not open. Change your DPI settings from normal to large. This will make the fonts more readable.

If you are using Vista the procedure is pretty much the same.

^ MARKLP is right.
You should always use the `native` or maximum resolution of a flat panel monitor, any other can produce apalling image quality.
The change of text size works well BTW, I`m getting on a bit and without this feature I`d have problems reading text on my own 24" 19x12 monitor at maximum resolution (but who reads too much text when there`s games to be played?). :D