OMG huge dilemma, opinions please!

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
It's actually a wonderful dilemma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilemma if i think about it.
Here's the lowdown, I bought a Dell 2709W 27" S-PVA LCD monitor lcd monitor for 599 off delldeals.
Awesome right?
I listed it for sale, and I got an offer for 770 ($100 profit)...
And now I have a friend that can hook me up on TVs at bestbuy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Buy ...so here's the dilemma.

My room is quite small, I'll only be sitting maybe 3-4 feet away from the screen.
27" seems sufficient...but I'm in love with Samsung TVs, beautiful picture.
I can get a 32" 1080p http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p sammy for about 750+taxes.
So I'll be getting an extra 5" for 100ish bucks. Also I was planning to buy a TV tuner tv tuner for comp, cheapest is about 70 bucks...so if I go for the TV i can avoid that extra cost since it's included...

So what are your opinions?
I watch standard quality television, play ps3, and games on PC off the screen.
Quality wise which will be better? A S-PVA or a LCD TV lcd tv ? i will be sitting really close to it, will pixel pitch/dot pitch be a problem? the dell is 0.303mm, no idea what the lcd tv is.
Are response time/input better on the TV, the Dell is supposed to have bad lagg.
what are the advantages/disadvantages of each?
Help me out!!!

The 2709W monitor will have more pixels (1200 vertically instead of 1080) and they will be smaller than on a 32" TV. At 4 feet, the monitor will look better.

Does the Dell actually have lag you can notice? You're playing on it, after all. If you don't notice any problem why do you care what others say it's supposed to have?

Image quality - I suspect a cheap TV will have lower quality than a S-PVA monitor. $750 may sound like a lot of money, but it is in fact at the lower end of the scale as 1080p TVs go. Which TV model is it exactly?

the_mystery_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
All the current 32" Samsungs are S-PVA as well, I believe. 4ft is actually a fairly good seating distance for a 32" 1080p set (you may actually notice the difference from 720p)

That one is S-PVA, I think. It has 178x178 viewing angles, according to the specs, and that usually means a very good panel.

I'm sitting about 6 feet away from my Sharp 32", usually. I think it's OK at 4 feet too, even with standard definition TV.

@OP: go to Best Buy and give that TV a try. Also, for watching DVDs, some programs are smarter than others. For example PowerDVD does a good job of up-converting and movies look just fine at 1680x1050.

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
another question, since the PS3's max output is 1080p...wouldn't the dell being 1920x1200 need to stretch the image?
that'll make it uggggllyyyyy ;(

jaysins

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

You should be fine at 4ft and I don't personally think the additional 11% in increased resolution is going to be a big deal at all. However if you do any sort of photo editing or what not the increased color gamut of the Dell will be a very noticable improvement as well I would suspect a proplerly calibrated dell would outshine the samsung in color quality overall. I've heard great thing about the dells and would imagine it would perform better than the samsung as a monitor, and if you got a tuner for you pc and use and ati card with avivo you will get a much better picture than the scaler in the samsung can provide you. However, the extra screen realestate could be nice. For me personally I went with a monitor with a 16:9 aspect ratio because imho the closer to anomorphic and the wider the better for me but I don't know if I could handle the lower color gamut of the sammy. I don't think I made it any easier so sorry :p and good luck.

jhunt256

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
1080p on a tv that small is a waste. You can barely (and i mean barely) tell a difference between 720p and 1080p on a screen smaller then 40". I have sold tvs for the past 5 years and have seen all makes and models. (BTW good choice with samsung, best company out there). Any one who says they notice a huge difference in picture quality is either lying or looking at a 720p westinghouse and comparing it to a 1080p sony or samsung. If it was me i would save a lot of cash and go 720p / 1080i.

jhunt256

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
BTW thats tv wise, monitor wise you can tell a difference when the resolution goes higher then 1080p.... but as tv's go.... ya what i said above

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
so with your 5 years experience, you're telling me to keep the 1920x1200 27" dell monitor and not trade up to the larger 32" 1080p tv? :O
that's very persuasive!

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007

the TV may be bigger, but the monitor has a higher resolution, and is probably better built for computer usage. (i would think so!)

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
the thing is the unit will be 4-5 feet away from where i'm viewing
if u look at this chart http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/
it shows that's the sweetspot for a 32" monitor to notice 1080p!

jaysins

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
@jhunt
It depends on how close you are. Look at the viewing distance calculator I posted. If your standing 8" from a 24" monitor your going to notice a lot more pixel structure than a 60" at 7'. It's all relative.

jhunt256

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

I agree with you on that, but then again whose face is actually 8" from a 24" screen? At 60" your suppose to be atleast 14' away to avoid eye strain..... not that i personally follow that, but i have heard cases of eye soreness and crap like that.

BTW, Samsung does not make a tv that size at 120Hz. The monitor most likely can be adjust above 60 - 80 Hz. I guarantee the monitor will perform better in this department. I notice motion blur very easily so it bothers me but i read an article in consumer reports once and there was a poll that showed most people cant recognize this, if you can and you like football or gaming.... i would stick with the monitor... but your choice man...

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
well i just received my Dell 2709W and set it up...it's gorrrrgeous!!!
for a matte screen, the colours are incredible.
i came from a 22" glossy, i thought those colours were outstanding, than this shows up on my front door today!
the touch buttons aren't that bad, once u get the hang of it. key is the use your whole thumb :)
anywhoo......once i started gaming i noticed the input lag right away...a lil disheartening...how does that 32" LCD TV compare to the Dell in input lag?
i would think it would be similar, since the TV is s-pva too...?
i'm not going to complain much tho, this display is gorrrrgeous.
plus i have my 22" TN to fall back on if it really drives me insane.

jhunt256

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

to be honest the same, especially at high resolutions. The higher the resolution the more lag.... it just comes with the territory. plus the larger you go, the more you notice motion blur