Is there anyone who can help me???!!!

criostasis

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Hey there all,

I am still looking for an answer to my problem of finding a good cooling solution for my SLI set up. My rig is as follows:

Mobo: ECS Elite nf650i SLIT -A nVidia nforce 650i SLI chipset 1066 MHz FSB 650i NB 480i SB
Memory: 2GB (2X1GB) OCZ XTC SLI DDR2 800 SDRAM 5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz; 2GB (2X1GB) Samsung M3 DDR2 667 SDRAM 5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz
Processor: Intel 6700@ 2.66 GHz (My proc says Intel Confidential on it. I think its the E6700, Everest just says Intel 6700 ;) )
Graphics: 2 X EVGA nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB in SLI; 513MHz core; 1187MHz Shader; 792MHz Memory clock
HardDisk: 2 X Western Digital Caviar 160GB 7200 RPM

The graphics is wherein lies my problem. I have been looking at water and air cooling kits for the past two weeks every day most of the day ( Im on 30 days convalescent leave from having knee surgery from my knee getting blown out in Iraq :( ) and I havent been able to find any real solution for my problem, which is that the space between my graphics cards, its only about id say a little over 1/8th an inch. Literally about | | that much space!!! Damn ECS board doesnt give much space between pci x16 slots and graphics cards keep on getting bigger and bigger!!! Ive been pricing everything from Danger Den and Zalman water cooling kits to all around air cooling and price is not the problem, most everything is within my range (under 100 or maybe just a little over if its worth it) but its that everything that i have seen wont fit in that space. Im going based off of the pictures from the products website and the dimesions posted on the listings. My cards run temp wise as follows:

Card 1 (Closest to Processor) 50-52°C @Idle 58-60° @Load
Card 2 (Bottom) 46-49°C @Idle 56-58° @Load

Now I know from researching the cards normal temp ranges this is pretty good considering that ive read that some peoples cards run really hot, even read about a couple of people that had their temps around 90-100°C under load and one poor guy who had it that high at idle!!! (He RMA'd though and got a normal card) As you can see on my specs I havent Oc'd my proc or my graphics cards yet. Its not that I cant, its just that I would like a good cooling set up first in place before I go at it, that way I can Oc to my hearts desire :sol: . I really need a solution to this and at this point i dont care about price, ill save up for it if I have to. I havent had a watercooling set up so it would be my first and like all noobs to WC im nervous about leakage. When i put my second 8800 gts in, the voltage spiked and killed my Q6800 quad core and blew my 600W power supply :(. Thats what I get for not doing my homework about the voltage requirements to run SLI! Lesson learned and I do a lot of homework before I decide to buy anything. So much so that sometimes I review so many different products I give up and dont buy anything. (If 10% of the reviews are bad I wont buy it). ANywaY... Im rambling on and getting off topic, so any help you might have, a link, picture, video, whatever that might fit in between | | that much space and bring my temps down even 5-6°C would be so great you dont even know.

If youve made it this far thanks for reading and have a good night/day and God Bless!

SPC Ray, Michael D.
United States Cavalry
US ARMY
Fort Lewis WA

email me @ criostasis@mail.com

criostasis

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Thanks for you reply jaydeejohn. I was honestly suprised to see a reply so fast, if even one at all. I posted about this problem of mine earlier in the week and no one has replied to it once. I was kind of suprised given how many people read it. I really would like something to go with my GPU's to keep them cool because thats just how I am though. I realize the temps are normal but the gains to me wouldnt be small, even if it was only 5-6°C. I look foward to hearing from you again or anyone else. Hopefully I will and someone will have a solution!!!

Criostasis

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
if i am correct, those cards are dual slot, if this is the case, then the Zalman VF 1000 copper cooler with built in 80mm fan could be a very good option, they take up the same space as the original cooler but can remove up to 30c on most fully load cards, the reviews on this card cooler is great.

another option is to go for the Arctic cooling accelero 1 v2, although no fans, combined with a good case with a well setup of fans can produce almost the same affect and temps as the zalman.

hope this helps.

Hey there man. Thanks for what you've been doing in Iraq! You guys don't get enough appreciation.

Frankly though, your temps look great considering the spacing between cards. I wouldn't worry.

criostasis

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Wow, good to see so many replies!!! thanks VGRBoXy and Papalarge123 for your responses. Question for Papalarge though: My EVGA cards actually sit about | | that far apart from each other and they are dual slot. Are you talking about removing the stock plastic casing and stock HSF to make room for the Zalman VF 1000? If so can you give me some instruction on how to remove the plastic cover and HSF?

Thanks for the replies, I just bought a new case last week, full tower ATX steel, cools pretty well, not as well as id like but its just a case of airflow which ive been working on since i got it.

Thanks,
Criostasis

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
If you're talking about a cooler specifically for your video cards, then yes you will have to remove the stock parts to install the aftermarket parts.

criostasis

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Hey there again everyone,

You all dont know how much I appreciate the responses. I am kickin myself in the butt for not thinking of google'ing how to take the stock HSF off my 8800GTS's.

Question for Shadow703793: Is there a big difference if I google 'water cooling set up' as opposed to 'water cooling kit'? Being in the army in the Cav we use the word kit a lot, much like Hooah, lol. Also thanks for the thought about my cpu being an Engineering Sample. I got all excited when I read your post and immediately rebooted and went into the BIOS and found the option, but was sad when it showed the multiplier only goes from 6x-10x in my Pheonix Award BIOS options. Thank you for the sticky notes too, the instructions for the GTX 280 stock HSF case and removal are easy to understand and after i get done posting this I am going to pull one of my cards and give it a go. Im still shaky on if I want to finally jump into the pond and go with watercooling or Ive also been looking into the thermoelectric cooling hybrids lately. I saw on unit that had a lot of good reviews and cooled 10°C cooler than some of the best air cooled HSF. If I can get my CPU which runs 36-40°C at Idle and 58-64°C under full load (playing COD4 online or Crysis both at 1680x1050 with all settings on high for around 5 hours straight) down to 20-24°C Idle and 38-40°C full load then that would be the sheep!!! :)

Thanks a million guys!

Criostasis

Question for Shadow703793: Is there a big difference if I google 'water cooling set up' as opposed to 'water cooling kit'?
Yes. A water cooling kit is a set of components that is pre assembled by a manufacture. A water cooling set up is a set of components that is customary selected to give the best performance (ie D5 water pump + switftech 220). Unless you plan to OC or get a really quiet system you don't really need water cooling. Also your motherboard is a bit dated so your OC might be limited.

Also be aware that selecting a LGA775 waterblock can be a bit dicey as some manufactures will NOT make a conversion kit for the new Core i7 socket meaning you will need to get a new waterblock if you plan to run Core i7 later.

Waterbolocks with TEC is really aimed at pushing the OCing as it enables you to go below ambient.

If you really need water cooling look in to:
I'll steer you to some more technical links, please spend a few days (DAYS) reading posts, searching, learning. Don't forget to look for your case with WC. Google your case and the word watercool or some combination of that. WC stuff is larger than you think, I know from experience. WC setups done right are awesome and almost silent.

Great place, not wayyy over the top with uber WC guys.
http://www.ocforums.com/index.php
Uber place, owned by one of the worlds winning OC guys in the world. Not a place to post or ask questions by noobs, but an awesome place to learn.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/
Another good place to learn
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/
The GURU of independent testing, worshipped by many.
http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/
Great places to buy WC stuff
http://www.dangerden.com/index.php [...] e&Itemid=1
http://www.petrastechshop.com/
http://www.jab-tech.com/

Hope it helps, see ya in a few days, get edumacated!
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=29&post=249472&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0