thepigeon

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
hey there!

im in the last stage of putting togther my new PC :D. so last thing to pic is a PSU...... but im abit lost......

ive been shoping and there seems to be a big price gap between PSU brands ive never heard of (like WinPower and ones i have heard of (like BFG). is there realy a big quality difference or is it just branding?

so the real thrust of question is wat sort of wattage/brand would i need for this:

MoBo: Asus P5Q PRO
CPU: intel Q6600
RAM: 2x1gb crucial ballistix PC-8500 DDR2
Graphics: ATI HD 4850
HDD:500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm SATA
Disc drive: an old IDE one ive got.

cheers in advanced!
The Pigeon ;)

P.S. might aswell slip this in:

will i need any extra cooling wid that????

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Both WinPower and BFG make subpar power supplies. Yes the brand does make a difference, the difference between an exploding power supply and a one that is in 1 piece. Stick with these brands:

PC Power and Cooling < the best
Corsair < A close second
Silverstone < High end is really good, low end is not
Enermax < Same as Silverstone
Hiper < Decent
Antec < Pretty good in all price ranges, though the Earthwatt series is the best series for performance/price ratio.

I recommend the Antec Earthwatt 650w, plenty of stable power for a great pice. With this Price I just bought 4 for future customer's computers!

http://www.directron.com/ea650.html

Great find on that EA Antec earthwatts 650w. Review of it here at Jonnyguru
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=110
and would be great for the OP system and would support future crossfire (since you have a crossfire capable motherboard) Don't cheap out on your power supply! System stability, heat, performance and longevity will all be helped by a quality power supply.
(performance in terms of stability, it won't add any fps to gaming)

Well said +1.

4745454b

Titan
Actually, I disagree with Raven's list. Lists Silverstone and Hiper and fails to mention SeaSonic? PCP&C, SeaSonic, Corsair, Antec, Enermax, and FSP are the brands I would look to. Because Silverstone and Hiper both make models that aren't so good, I tend to overlook them. In terms of value for dollar, look to Corsair and Antec.

Yes the Earthwatts series, 380w, 430w, 500w and 650w. For the HD4850, the best would be the 500w, but i'd be happy with the 430w. The 380w would be pushing it, but it would work.

To 47454b FSP has put out some dog PSUs lately
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=120
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=103

they went from my "Good to decent" list to my "check before buying list"

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

You are right I did forget SeaSonic. Though for every SeaSonic PSU there is a cheaper PSU made by SeaSonic under another brand so I kind of ignore them. Same goes for FSP, but I don't liek their quality control. Silverstone, as I said, has decent PSUs, and pretty good ones at the high end. Hiper PSUs tend to be pretty average with some being very good, but most are just average. I honestly don't understand why anyone would buy a SeaSonic, since you can always find the same exact thing under another brand, PC P&C, Corsair, for less. Corsair tends to be as expensive as PC Power and Cooling anymore.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Correct, but I did not want to be that blunt.

4745454b

Titan
I am well aware of the Epsilon problem. Thats why OCZ isn't on my list. Why pay more for a poor PSU? (and yes, the Everest line isn't that good either.) I would still trust my computer to a FSP then some of the other cheap/crap PSUs out there. (Athena power anyone?)

thepigeon

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2008
looking like ill settle wit a 500w earthwatt..... will that do the job. (for CrossFire or just one GPU??) or do i need to strech to the 650w????