Are there any i7 motherboards that support ddr2?

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, I was thinking of getting an i7 cpu, but did not want to buy a new motherboard + cpu + memory.
Is there any motherboard that supports ddr2 with the i7 cpu's?

Thank You.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
especially since i wanted to get a i7 940 , if it would be mobo and cpu then maby i would og gotten it, but an extra 100 / 150 for memory that i dont need is ridiculous

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
its not all that bad, intel will not stop making the p45/x48s and any other LGA775 socket for a good few years.

you can still get a decent OCing mobo for that duo

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well since you wanted the i7 940 wich is $300 more then the i7 920, get the 920 and your ram.

Overclock the 920 all the way to 3.6 on stock cooling or get a after market cooler and shoot for 4.0-4.2.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
the thing is i just got another gig about amonth ago for less than 20 bucks, so now i got 3 gb of perfectly working ram, and its just no point fo rme to get basically the same ram...actually worse, since the ddr3, have high latency, if it would be only the cpu, and the hsf, + mobo i might get it, even though i got the p5wdh deluxe so i could go from dual to quad about this tiem, but i did not realize that i cant get the q9550 to work with my mobo...fsb :(
so im really pissed since i got the mobo and teh e6600 right when they came out....(really needed an upgrade from the previous pc...dont ask)
so now gettign a q6600, with the same base clock just 2 more cores would be pointless to me.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
unfortunetly no, it has a Intel 975X Express chipset, it states on asus's site that teh bios update allows to use teh chip, but looks like the Q9550 works but very crippled, or creates instability, since teh cpu is on a fsb of 1333 and the motherboard on 1066. :(
Its a pity since I got teh motherboard since it was advertized to work with sual cores and with future quad cores....but the only quad that i gues works is the one that has same clocks, .....so not much of an upgrade there :(
I mean I could live with a bit slower speeds or such but not going down from 2.83 to 2.66, and paying much more for basically a Q6600 chip at a price of a crippled Q9550.

so basicaly im stuck, unles tehre is a way for it to work...I admit I only did spend about 2 days (good 6 or 8 hours on research)...but if someone knows of a way, I would be much obliged.

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
if you have the q9550 already, you would be best of with a p45 chipset they have FSB of 1600 asus top end once and other companies such as gigabyte do as well, or you can get a x48 chipset mobo that WILL support your 45nm q9550

I also am I going to upgrade to x48 since my ROG is half dead, when it comes back off RMA I might sell it asuming I can get the poster sorted out xD

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, I did not purchase any cpu yet, I was planning to do so, but since I did find out that it wont work with my motherboard I did not purchase anything.

I did not want to jump on the i7 bandwagon, since the technology is still new, and i heard the chip isn't the best when it comes to heat dissipation, that's the only ting that holds me back from getting it, besides the price involved of basically building a new pc ....not really an upgrade ;)

I was not even considering getting a "older" chipset motherboard, since basically i would need to get a new motherboard + new cpu....which is the same ecase with teh i7's (minus a memory upgrade)

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
^...lol why would I need 6gb of ram? lol I barely utilize my current 3 gb.
I built this system for upgradebility, and I thaught I might get my last good quad before replacing the motherboard...maby by the end of next year.
But it looks like im stuck with what I got, since an upgrade to a Q6600, wont really improwe much....(Q9550 would of been different ;)), and if i would og gotten a new mobo that supports 1333....well why not spend that 500 extra and have one of th i7's ;)...but I still am not convinced that the i7's are good, sicne mid/late 2009 will brign a refresh of the i7's, and, in 2010 well see new 32 nm chips, and i bet those will need a new chipset again ;).....and I like to build my systems to last me about 3 years strong (with minor upgrades).

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I personly agree with you,I want to keep my LGA 775 for another year or so before upgrading, because since when does left 4 dead need all that POWER?
never, since when does any "good" game need power well never because if its good the game engine would have been made PROPERLY. the I7 only if A. you want to go TRI SLI or xfire with X2s but than again a 9550 can handle that and be playable with everything on and at High res so no unless you are worried about playing games only at a nice smoooth 80Frps. the only time I would get a I7 is when it ethoir proofs its self worthy or a price cut or a good game comes out that needs it. otherwise no unless my purpose of using my computer inc very high stress in which case the I7 is in a class of its own for a while at least.