Memory (RAM) upgrade question

selfbrew

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Ok, I am wanting to upgrade my RAM and I have a question. I am a beginner and am trying to learn how to work on my computer. I know that right now I have 2 256MB sticks of SDRAM equaling 512MB total. I want to make sure I am getting the right sticks. I want to upgrade to 2G. I tried to figure out what kind of RAM I have. My Mobo's user manual indicates it uses 2.6V sticks. So I have figured that much out. When I go into my BIOS to check the setting to try and figure out a little further, the advanced chipset features only tells me that "DRAM timing" is set to "by SPD" and the "memory frequency for" is set to "auto". It shows that it can be set manualy to DDR226, DDR320, or DDR400. So that doesnt realy tell me any thing. Does this mean I can just replace them with a couple of 2.6V DDR400 1G RAM stick to total 2G and not have to set any thing? Does it mean the computer will recognize it, and I wont have to do any thing else? I saw some 2.6V SDRAM400 1G sticks at newegg.com that I was wanting but want to make sure they will work.

selfbrew

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Yes, Mobo's manual states that with 4 slot I can hold up to 4 sticks of 1G RAM, up to a total of 4G. So, will I have to adjust any thing or will the "auto" setting and set "by SPD" timing take care of it?

TRENDING THREADS