Sign in with
Your question

9800GX2....Temps > 100C AT IDLE.....help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2008 3:57:37 AM

Hey guys,

I just got a 9800gx2 today and am having some serious problems. My card has temps of 105C on GPU1 and 64C on GPU2.....keep in mind this is at IDLE with fans at 100%!!!

After about 5 minutes of using my computer even just on the desktop I will loose video and I can hear the video card fans automatically go to 100% if they weren't already there. I was hoping this was just a sensor problem but the card is burning hot.

I have a Thermaltake Armor case with plenty of airflow....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2008 4:09:48 AM

I don't know what you are expecting anyone here to say besides: RMA the card it is obviously faulty.
October 3, 2008 4:15:26 AM

This is going to sound ridiculous, but i went inside the case while the computer was on, and pressed firmly against each side of the graphics card......and in a matter of 5 seconds my temps dropped 30+ degrees on gpu1.

Both are now running at ~60C.
a c 88 U Graphics card
October 3, 2008 3:47:50 PM

Hehe ...well done! ;) 
October 3, 2008 5:43:05 PM

What i would do is dismantle the card... and re-seat the heatsink should work !possibly
a c 84 U Graphics card
October 3, 2008 5:47:39 PM

yep, sounds like there are some loose screws/nuts what ever...
October 3, 2008 9:34:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll try reseating the heat sink tonight.
October 3, 2008 9:52:03 PM

Nice fix, cuase I was about to say 105C, is **** hot. add 7 more degrees and liquid boiles, i am just suprised your card didn't melt into a puddle. JK
October 3, 2008 10:01:34 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Nice fix, cuase I was about to say 105C, is **** hot. add 7 more degrees and liquid boiles, i am just suprised your card didn't melt into a puddle. JK

Water boils at 100C. :p 
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2008 2:33:09 AM

To the OP: Congrats, but it doesnt sound like a permanent fix, I would take it all apart and reseat the heatsink with some Arctic Silver.
October 4, 2008 2:34:50 AM

Annisman said:
To the OP: Congrats, but it doesnt sound like a permanent fix, I would take it all apart and reseat the heatsink with some Arctic Silver.

Doesn't that void the warranty? If it's recently brought, it might be better to just rma it for a good one.
October 4, 2008 2:46:37 AM

RMAing the card is preety dumb at this point, hes obviously found out what the problem is. Why go 2-4 weeks without your card when he can fix it an hour?

As above posters said, take the cooler apart and check the contact of the paste/pads, clean them and reapply paste, a tiny dot on the GPU's will do, no bigger than half a grain of rice really.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2008 2:47:37 AM

It may, but there are a few points I would make:

1. If you put it back properly how are they going to know that you removed it?
2. It clearly sounds like a heatsink reseat problem, so as long as the OP has little to average computer skills he/she can probably be confident that reseating it will do the trick.
3. RMA is a process that is often time consuming and frustrating, that would be my last choice.
October 4, 2008 2:49:09 AM

spathotan said:
RMAing the card is preety dumb at this point, hes obviously found out what the problem is. Why go 2-4 weeks without your card when he can fix it an hour?

The problem is, the fix might not hold, and tempering with the card voids warranty. :p 

But then again, 2 weeks without gaming? How will he survive?! :na: 
October 4, 2008 2:53:50 AM

Well he just got it today, and im sure he was preety excited. Its a major bum to have to send something right back. If the "fix" dosent hold, then that means its a physical defect of the sinks themselves, warranty or not they sold him a product that shouldnt have ever got past QA/QC. That dosent have anything to do with this, but as long as he puts the cooler back together properly he will be fine.

I know personally XFX will take cards back even without the cooler attached, just as long as you ship it with the card. I myself have done this with a 7900GS, and a buddy of mine has done it with a pair 7900GT's and an 8800GTS. If their standards have changed since then I dont know.
October 4, 2008 3:03:02 AM

spathotan said:
Well he just got it today, and im sure he was preety excited. Its a major bum to have to send something right back. If the "fix" dosent hold, then that means its a physical defect of the sinks themselves, warranty or not they sold him a product that shouldnt have ever got past QA/QC. That dosent have anything to do with this, but as long as he puts the cooler back together properly he will be fine.

I know personally XFX will take cards back even without the cooler attached, just as long as you ship it with the card. I myself have done this with a 7900GS, and a buddy of mine has done it with a pair 7900GT's and an 8800GTS. If their standards have changed since then I dont know.

Well, if it's brought so soon, there's also the option to return it to retailer instead of manufacturer. Newegg has very good rma practice. You can often receive replacement within days.
October 4, 2008 3:36:59 AM

Well ever since I loosened the screw holding the card to the case and gave the sides of the card a firm squeeze, I haven't had any more problems. I have played crysis and ran Vantage, and the temps are all staying normal.

I really think the heatsink may have have just needed a good snap into place...maybe it got bumped around in shipping.

I am going to hold off on re-seating the heatsink and am also not going to rma the card right now, because I don't seem to have any more problems. Only time will tell I suppose.......

Thanks for all the replies and advice.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2008 1:54:22 PM

well depends on the brand you got. evga for example has no issue if you open it i believe.
May 26, 2009 6:40:37 PM

helios2052 said:
Well ever since I loosened the screw holding the card to the case and gave the sides of the card a firm squeeze, I haven't had any more problems. I have played crysis and ran Vantage, and the temps are all staying normal.

I really think the heatsink may have have just needed a good snap into place...maybe it got bumped around in shipping.

I am going to hold off on re-seating the heatsink and am also not going to rma the card right now, because I don't seem to have any more problems. Only time will tell I suppose.......

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Hi!
I know this is an old topic for you, but I have the same problem now with my 9800GX2.
I have some questions abaut solving this problem...
Did it work when you removed the heatsink and was it tricky?
How did you remove a heatsink?
THX for answeres!!!
!