GSGregg

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
I replaced a CD-RW/DVD-ROM that took forever to detect a disk (but worked normally once it did)
with a new DVD writer; as soon as the disk title shows up in My Computer-Drive D, the machine
reboots, then does the same thing repeatedly. It doesn't matter what disk is inserted. I'd sure
appreciate some insight, especially if the new drive is defective (so I can send it back before the
warranty runs out). The reboot problem wasn't present before.

GSGregg

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Thanks, a51r....the absence of alternative responses tells me that everyone
else thinks you nailed it! Since your reply, I've downloaded MBM5; the +12,
-12, +5 and +3.3 look good with miniscule fluctuations, but the -5 is like a fish
in a boat, between +2.3 and -4, only occasionally settling for a while around
zero, which I think is where it belongs (right?). Yes, I'm looking into PSUs,
thankyouverymuch; do you happen to know of a monitor/tester that offers
glitch-capture? I haven't gone deeply into MBM5 HELP yet, but I don't think
an at-failure snapshot is possible when the monitor is powered by the thing
being diagnosed. Thanks again, GSG

GSGregg

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
Well, area51reopened, I guess I've waited long enough. I pulled out the power sup-
ply and looked over the connectors, pins and whatnot; seeing nothing bent or burnt I de-
cided to put it back for one more try before ordering the Corsair 400W unit I read good
things about. I also opened a bay(?) and put the old drive in as a slave, just for fun; booted
up....and it's been working ever since! (So, what did I fix, and how?)

Anyway, even though the -5v is still jumping around, there's no more reboot loop and I re-
sumed loading from disks like nothing ever hiccupped. The old drive even began reading
some disks, but that's a needle for another thread. Thanks again for your input, and nice
typing at you.

GSGregg out.

TRENDING THREADS