Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Weird 4850 crashes

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 3, 2008 9:57:46 AM

So I've been getting these weird crash's in games with my Gigabyte 4850. It has happened in all the games I've played since I got it (Indigo Prophecy, Crysis and DMC4). The game would start, then anytime between the opening movie's and the beginning of the game(generally if I lowered the settings it would go for longer). I would get one of two errors both from the monitor. Either saying "Digital Signal Lost" then going into stand by, or saying "Frequency out of range" with some random frequencies under it. Which then require a push of the reset button. I managed to mostly fix this by underclocking the memory to 900mhz and doing the XML fan fix.

But here are my problems. First, I have to underclock the memory so I don't get as great peformance. Second I still get the occasional crash. So anyone have any idea what might be causing this? or does it mean its a defective card?

More about : weird 4850 crashes

October 3, 2008 11:21:04 AM

Try changing drivers. I remember it happening on my 3800 when I used the Catalyst 8.8 Beta drivers, it was solved when I reverted to 8.7
October 3, 2008 1:54:38 PM

Tried CCC 8.7 (I've used .8 and .9) and got the crash on the 4th loop on the gpu crysis benchmark tool thingy (at 1440 x 900, High settings, dx9). So it would seem that its not the drivers. I'm thinking that it might possibly have something to do with my crap motherboard that won't post if I OC any components even slightly.
Related resources
October 3, 2008 2:28:00 PM

it cazn be the game. reinstall it
October 4, 2008 1:43:19 AM

It's definitely not the games. I've installed them onto a external hard drive and tried them on another computer. They work fine.
October 17, 2008 8:49:05 PM

I'm having the same issue. Were you able to find a solution?
October 20, 2008 11:01:17 PM

i've same issue too..i tried catalyst 8.8, 8.9 ,8.10 nothing changes..my hd4850 has overclocked fan called IceQ4,my gpu temp is at idle:52~58 on games max 72celcius..how can I fix that problem?i've some errors as pheonix
October 21, 2008 9:39:23 AM

My HIS HD4850 ICEQ4 Turbo (650MHz) seems solid so far on TF2. Not tried Crysis yet.

Post your temperatures (idle + load) Phoenix135 please. It might be overheating. What PSU?
October 21, 2008 8:44:37 PM

sigh, I wrote this big long letter and my internet died and I lost it.
summary:
Is your pc overclocked? if it is lock your pci bus at 100 hz. I had the same problem when I was overclocking because I forgot to do this.

Second, post your system specs.

third, how long has it been doing this?
November 5, 2008 9:44:33 AM

chrisb2e9 said:
sigh, I wrote this big long letter and my internet died and I lost it.
summary:
Is your pc overclocked? if it is lock your pci bus at 100 hz. I had the same problem when I was overclocking because I forgot to do this.

Second, post your system specs.

third, how long has it been doing this?


My PC is all at normal clock speeds and the PCI bus is at 100 hz. My specs are: "Asus P5N-SLI" Mobo, "Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo" CPU, 1 x "Corsair DDR2 2GB PC-5300/667 Value Select Ram" (this was probably a bad idea in retrospect) a "Gigabyte R485-512H-B RADEON HD4850" video card and a "550 watt Sun Orb" power supply (I't came with the case). And its been doing this ever since I got it four months ago . Sorry about taking so long I gave up on this thread a while ago, great to see that there are helpful people out there.
November 6, 2008 10:39:57 PM

pheonix135 said:
and a "550 watt Sun Orb" power supply (I't came with the case).


This might be a/the problem..
November 6, 2008 10:43:14 PM

I couldn't even find that PSU when I googled it..

Do you know the specs on your PSU?
November 6, 2008 10:44:45 PM

Try opening up your case and blowing a fan into it...(just a suggestion)
November 7, 2008 1:32:01 AM

Quote:
I couldn't even find that PSU when I googled it..

Do you know the specs on your PSU?


Quote:
Try opening up your case and blowing a fan into it...(just a suggestion)


OK just figured out its a Sun Pro not a Sun Orb (The label was upside down) I cant seem to find the model on the net but here's picture of it with some voltage info on it. I tried blowing a fan into the computer but without much luck. I also did some more tests at default settings (CCC 8.10 seems too let crysis run for a while like this). With fan speed at 40% I got about a minute and a half before it crashed, but on 80% fan speed I got 24 minutes so I'm starting too lean towards the card being crap, but then again I dont know much about PSU. Also please forgive the nonsensical structure of my posts.

Here's the voltages and some other stuff from the side of the PSU.

ATX-550W
ATX SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY

The voltages

RED: +5v @ 38A
ORANGE: +3.3v @ 28A
YELLOW: +12v @ 17A
BLUE: -12v @ 0.8A
PURPLE: +5VSB @ 2A
WHITE: -5v @ 0.5A

GRAY: POWER OK
BLACK: GND

If I do need a new PSU what specs should I look for, I live in Australia so it can be hard to get specific models.
November 7, 2008 2:58:46 AM

Here are a few topics I found on it:

]http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=532741]

]http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/855479.html]

From what I'm reading that PSU only has 17 Amps on its single +12V rail. Which is not enough for that card.

I also have the Gigabyte 4850. When I bought it I replaced all the crummy thermal compound stuff under the heatsink that came with it. I used Arctic Silver 5 and I also did that too the heatsinks on my mobo.

This is the PSU I am using : ]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015] Which is way more powerful than I needed but I got it on sale for $65.00.

]http://ati.amd.com/products/Radeonhd4800/requirements.html]

I have to go for now but I think your problem is that your PSU is too weak. So I would go and start a new thread asking for recommendations on a good PSU.

~physx7
November 7, 2008 3:02:55 AM

Quick note:

Just because it has a high wattage doesn't mean that it is powerful enough. Remember to check the Amperage on the +12V rails. There are a bunch of Australians on Tom's so just ask!

Gotta go bye!
November 7, 2008 3:46:01 AM

Well whatever the problem is I'll have to replace PSU anyway :(  I'll have a look around for good PSU's and post my findings after I've got one, thanks too everyone that posted! :D 
November 8, 2008 4:22:55 AM

HUZZAH! Got an "Antec TruePower Trio 650 watt" and things seem too be going great! I'm getting Far Cry 2 soon so that should be a good testing ground for long play sessions.
November 8, 2008 3:09:12 PM

Great! Post back with results please!
November 8, 2008 3:12:30 PM

And actually Crysis would probably be a better testing ground since it is so demanding.
November 9, 2008 7:21:00 AM

physx7 said:
And actually Crysis would probably be a better testing ground since it is so demanding.


I have been giving it a whirl with Crysis and its going well but I still seem to get the occasional random crash so I think I'm just going to leave the Crysis benchmarking tool looping overnight too see if the problem is completely fixed.
November 9, 2008 8:52:50 AM

Bloody hell. Well I ran the benchmarker for about 20 mins and it crashed. I think I'm going to take my computer to a shop and have them diagnose the problem. Then ship the dead parts back too the online store I bought them from.
November 9, 2008 6:46:20 PM

Last night I tried moved all my peripherals onto a separate power board, making the computer the only thing plugged into one and upped the fan speed a bit. It ran the Crysis bechmarker for almost 8 hours straight! I'm going to leave it to do this but at a slightly lower fan speed while I'm at school.
November 9, 2008 7:31:41 PM

What do you mean a separate power board? You mean like a different power strip?
November 10, 2008 2:56:14 AM

physx7 said:
What do you mean a separate power board? You mean like a different power strip?

Yeah. Same thing different name.
November 10, 2008 8:49:43 PM

Oh... So you might have been overloading your power strip?
November 11, 2008 12:56:48 AM

physx7 said:
Oh... So you might have been overloading your power strip?

It would seem so. But the crappy PSU probably wasn't helping.
November 11, 2008 4:20:42 PM

Yeah... you needed a better PSU anyway..
November 14, 2008 7:12:39 PM

I too have been experiencing crashes with my Radeon HD 4850.

System:
Intel Q6600
Asus P5E3 Deluxe/Wi-Fi
2x1g DDR3 Patriot 533 Mhz
ATI HD 4850 w/ Catalyst 8.10
Corsair 620W
Creative Fatality X-Fi Audio
Windows XP (DirectX 9)


History:
I recently decided to use the ATI CCC Overdrive tool to overclock my card. It OC'd to GPU Clock: 690 Mhz & Memory Clock: 1153Mhz. This caused crashing in all games I play, although crashing occurs at random intervals. When it would crash it would cause a "clicking" noise from my speakers. I "re-set" my clock speeds to the defaults and now I find that the current speeds displayed are rather low: GPU clock: 500, Memory Clock: 750Mhz. I assume this is part of my Mobo "powersaving features" although I'm not too knowledgable on such topics. Sometimes the "Current Values" appear as 500/750, then display 690/1153.

Games that it has crashed on include: Farcry 2, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4.

Crashes did not occur before I attempted to overclock.

Thanks for any help your able to provide,
MushroomSoup
November 15, 2008 10:09:26 PM

MushroomSoup said:
I too have been experiencing crashes with my Radeon HD 4850.

System:
Intel Q6600
Asus P5E3 Deluxe/Wi-Fi
2x1g DDR3 Patriot 533 Mhz
ATI HD 4850 w/ Catalyst 8.10
Corsair 620W
Creative Fatality X-Fi Audio
Windows XP (DirectX 9)


History:
I recently decided to use the ATI CCC Overdrive tool to overclock my card. It OC'd to GPU Clock: 690 Mhz & Memory Clock: 1153Mhz. This caused crashing in all games I play, although crashing occurs at random intervals. When it would crash it would cause a "clicking" noise from my speakers. I "re-set" my clock speeds to the defaults and now I find that the current speeds displayed are rather low: GPU clock: 500, Memory Clock: 750Mhz. I assume this is part of my Mobo "powersaving features" although I'm not too knowledgable on such topics. Sometimes the "Current Values" appear as 500/750, then display 690/1153.

Games that it has crashed on include: Farcry 2, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4.

Crashes did not occur before I attempted to overclock.

Thanks for any help your able to provide,
MushroomSoup


It might be automatically activating the OC profile, so i'd try deleting the OCing profiles and then set it to defaults. Also what drivers are you using?
November 15, 2008 10:13:48 PM

pheonix135,

I just updated drivers to the new 8.11. It seems to have had an effect on how common the crashes occur. Now they occur at a less frequent interval.

I'll take a look at the OC profiles and post an update.

Thanks for your help,
MushroomSoup
Anonymous
August 24, 2009 2:56:57 PM

This is the same problem on my pc some of the games i have played crashes like tomb raider underworld, call of duty 4, i already reinstalled the drivers updated everything it seems for me its not working fine on windows xp and also the direct x 9c always have some errors on the 3d thingy when i test run it. So i decided to format my drive and install windows vista with direct x10 and now my games works fine no crashes i dont now if this fix the issue but it works for me.
!