Sign in with
Your question

Do PCI-E x16 have different speed than other x16 on motherboards?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 1, 2009 4:43:18 AM

Hi, I have a M2N-MX SE Plus motherboard with 1.28 gb of ram and a processor athlon 64 x2 5200+ ~ 2.8 ghz socket am2*. I have a problem every time I try to play 3d games they always go really slow, slower than they should be. I installed my video drivers properly. I'm using a n6600 128mb video card in the pci-e slot. I played the same games on different boards, slower ones with the same graphics card and the games seem to be faster. I don't get why it's going so slow. Could it be my ALC 662 HD sound onboard?
Can someone please help me? It's an ASUS.*

I just bought the board as a package. This my second board from ASUS and I hate RMAing, my previous board fried when I turned it off.

January 1, 2009 10:12:32 AM

I have 128 mb n6600 graphics card for PCI-E. The problem is on my new board it goes really slow.
The Board im using is a M2N-MX SE Plus manufactured by ASUS.
It is a socket AM2+ with an Athlon (tm) 64 X2 5200+ ~ 2.8ghz processor. It also has 1.5gb DDR2 Ram 667. PCI-E X16
I have another board older and manufactured by ASUS.
It is a K8N4-E Deluxe. It is a socket 754 with a Athlon (tm) 64 2800+ ~ 2.0 ghz. It also has 1.5 gb of DDR 3200 Ram. PCI-E X16.
Now my problem is im not sure whether the processor in the M2N-MX SE Plus board is Bottle necking the video card (which means hogging more resources). When I put it in the M2N-MX SE Plus I get horrible frame rates in 3D applications. But when I put it in the K8N4-E Deluxe I get a lot better frame rates. I'm confused whether My
1. PCI-E slot on motherboard is bad
or
2. CPU is hogging all the power.
What is the problem?
I don't feel like buying another new board.
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2009 5:00:01 PM

Are you sure you uninstalled the drivers and then cleared everything that was left of it using driversweeper?
January 1, 2009 9:29:14 PM

Ok, it has nothing to do with drivers. It has a voltage problem which I highly doubt can be fixed.

I mailed this to ASUS in hopes of my problem being solved. If not ill just RMA and get my money back and buy from a different brand. :lol: 

Apply date : 1/2/2009 6:52:20 AM

[Contact Information]
*Name :
*Email Address : blackbird309@gmail.com
Phone Number :
City :

[Product Information]
*Product Type : Motherboard
*Product Model : M2N-MX SE PLUS
*Product S/N : 8AM0AD008459
Place of Purchase : CBiT
*Date of Purchase : 2008/12/27

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard Revision : 0503
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : v02.58? or 0503

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : NVIDIA
*VGA Card Model : Geforce
*VGA Card Chipset : 6150SE
*VGA Card Driver : 6.14.0010.9163

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : AMD
*CPU Type : AM2+ socket
*CPU Speed : 5200+ ~ 2.7ghz Brisbane

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : PSC
*Memory Model : DDRAM
*Memory Capacity : 1024MB

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor : Maxtor
HDD Model :
HDD Capacity : 1TB

[Add-on Card Specificatio]
Add-on Card Vendor :
Add-on Card Type :
Add-on Card Model :

*Operating System : WinXP

[Problem Description]
When I run 3D enabled applications I get horrible performance. There is nothing wrong with the video card and on board with drivers installed. I'm certain for this because I tested my video card, which is an EN6600 128mb PCI-E on a K8N4-E. The performance was normal and expected. I reinstalled windows XP(tm) and installed the drivers for the on board video (Nvidia Geforce 6150SE). I got the same bad performance.

Afterwords I tested with different RAM, one at a time. And the result was the same.
I read on the forums that Athlon(tm) 64 X2 6000+ was incompatible and the voltage regulators would often overheat. Despite that I have Athlon(tm) 64 X2 5200+ I still felt if the regulators were hot. But they weren't so I suspect a different problem. I will test the CPU in a different board later. The CPU is running at a normal temperature of 30-40 degrees Celsius or 86 to 104 degrees Fahrenheit. I ran SpeedFan (a program) and my -12V is only at -8.74V and my -5V is at -8.78V. My Power supply meets the requirements as I ran the Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator. My Power supply is a Retail Plus (tm) 465W with 24 pins. I even tried a different power supply 500W 24pin Best Power (tm) and ended up with the same result. Is there a way to solve this issue?

Thank you for your help.

--PROBLEM SOLVED--
Problem: Certain pins on the processor were bent in such a way that the read and write speed on the ram was significantly lowered.
Solution: Straighten pins out.
Conclusion: I figured this out several days later and decided to document this for others who may encounter this problem. Nothing raises your blood pressure more than the sight of bent processor pins.

Edit: Looking back at this thread brings back memories on how little I understood about scientific terms, glad I took physics.
!