• Graphics Cards
  • DVI
  • Monitors
  • Cable
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2008 1:42:30 PM

I have a dual monitor set up and would like to move the computers to the other side of the room.
The problem is I don't receive any signal from the 15' DVI cable that I just bought.
Monitor works fine with a 6' cable.
I've tried everything from reinstalling card drivers, monitor drivers, having the DVI cable the only cable conected during boot, cloned views with both monitors hook up....

nothing works

Could the problem be the video card signal isn't strong enough to run the extra lenght of the cable?
I read the limitation for DVI is around 16'.
Signal boosters are too expensive - I'd rather get a new video card that has higher output.
Is there such a difference in signal strength output
if so,
can you recommend a card?

I have a Nvidia Geoforce FX5200 card
Benq senseye FP202W monitor with DVI in
Asus P5V800-MX

thanks

More about : dvi cable length signal

October 3, 2008 2:46:04 PM

Your video card is fine. There is no video card that sends out a stronger DVI signal. They are all the same. The problem is the DVI cable. The signal on a standard DVI cable is only good for about 3 meters. After that, you need a cable that has thicker wires. Sorry Monster cable is not the answer. Go to a company like DVIGear for good DVI cable. they can be found at www.dvigear.com
These guys know what they are doing when it comes to anything related to DVI distribution.
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 3, 2008 9:05:47 PM

I was under the impression that 3 meters was about the limit also. You can buy then longer (obviously) buy as marklp you need a seriously good quality cable to cover the sort of distance you are talking about.

Mactronix
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 3, 2008 11:42:47 PM

Two things;

A) yes it's a CRAP card with a CRAP signal, and unlike what marklp mentions, yes some are better than others at sending a clean signal from their TMDS (whether integrated or discrete on card).

B) 15feet is the standard for HDMI with a quality TMDS source (most are dual link as well which helps), DVI is general felt to be 10ft and able to do more with quality throughout, otherwise you need a repeater.

I don't think even a good cable will help you out with that card, however IMO get both a good cable and a better card. Good cable will help that better card from getting interference that shows up as sparkles and such on TVs and LCDs.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 3, 2008 11:55:42 PM

Here's one of the previous articles on this (unfortunately I can't find their earlier article which had the FX5200 and GF4 and Radeon 9000 (or 9200), but the FX5200 was even worse than the FX5700 (although it's not always based on cards, because some have external transmitters too and they vary even depending on how they are connected, the internal transmitters though are pretty consistent in a stable card);

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/tft-connection,931-...

Here's Extremetech's from way back when, and it has two pretty poorly performing FX5200s as well;
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,1367924,00.a...

Note the line in that last review;
"When we initially spoke with Silicon Image back in July, they showed us a slide with the results of their DVI testing on eight different GeForceFX 5200 cards -- none passed.
We only checked out two cards this go-around, but our testing indicates that the 5200 may be problematic..."
October 4, 2008 11:58:37 AM

Thanks all.

the cable i'm using is pretty high quality ($50 for 15')
not only based on price but it looks heavy duty.

I was able to get a picture - but only on 800 x 600 res. - anything higher and the picture disapears.

I'm leaning towards TheGreatGrapeApe solution.

can anyone recomend a decent APG card with DVI & VGA out...?

thanks
October 4, 2008 12:09:01 PM

Sorry - some specifics might help -
A APG card with DVI & VGA out (dual monitor setup)
wouldn't mind playing some games (Medal of Honor)
but doesn't have to be newest, fastest...
around $100 - $150

thanks
October 4, 2008 3:09:14 PM

The DVI cable that you have is not as good as you think it is. What brand is it? What is the gauge of the wire in it? You mentioned that at 800x600 you get an image but not at higher resolutions. This is typical of a low quality cable. The bandwidth required for a 800x600 pixel resolution is much lower than required for a higher resolution signal.
800x600 pixel clock is between 38 to 49 MHz pixel clock rate. At 1680x1050 the pixel clock increases to 145mHz. While the Nvidia 5200 may have a problem with its DVI compliance at higher pixel clock frequencies, it is able to drive your display with a shorter cable and is not really that far out of compliance. The report that Grape Ape refers to mentions that one of the cards was border line out of compliance failure. I don't know which card you have so your mileage may vary.
My recommendation is to get a better card and cable. You may find that a newer card will still not drive the cable you have but a better quality cable will allow the card you have to work.
By the way you don't need a Dual link cable, your monitor doesn't support it, nor does your video card. Dual link is required for resolutions above 1920 x 1200 or 2048x1080.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
October 4, 2008 8:13:42 PM

Maybe get a new card first then try the cable if you think it's good enough, no point in wasting money if you don't have to. Obviously main issue in your previous setup was poor card, even a great cable was unlikely to help such a crud signal.

Rex any recent GPU has solid and improve TMDS thanks mainly to the propagation of better panel, and the need to push resolutions at/near the max of the 165Mhz TMDS. And with the number of dual-TMDS integrated GPUs out there, go that route for future compliancy with higher resolutions and with the option for HDMI out.

Get a cable AFTER you've tested the new card if you still need one.

Some suggestions fro picture quality and good gaming performance;

Another thing to consider is that the ATi cards support 10bit per channel internally since the R9500 series, and the Geforce cards since the GF8400.

My recommendation would be you don't need a card that costs over $100, but if that's your budget, there's alot of sweet options there (despite my feeling AGP is a waste of money in general). But you could be fine with something in the $30 range that would blow away the FX5200. Funny thing is had you had a Radeon 9600SE at the time, or even R9100, you likely would've been fine.

Main thing is what you need to focus on? Cool & Quiet? Max Performance? Most importantly what's your power supply situation?

More than a big upgrade without a huge power supply requirement or much money;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

A little cheaper and less power demanding;

Unfortunately not many good nV options at NewEgg, the GF7600 is ok, but for the price and similar power draw might as well pick other options.

A nice quiet quality solution but needs bit more power too;

Non-NewEgg there are other options too;

A little less power consuming than the HD3600, the 3450;
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=AS-3450AGP&c=pw

The thing about the HD series card from ATi be sure you read up on and prepare for the AGP hotfix if you plan on that route. If your motherboard is old, then older cards (like the Radeon 9600/X700 or GF6600) would work better on a 2X only mobo.

Problem with the higher nV cards, they're more expensive, so in AGP it's somewhat a one-side performance/value situation. A GF6200 would be an upgrade from FX6200, but not much of one if you're interested in gaming, and for the same price you can get an X1550 so it's a tough sell. Especially when both ATi and nV's recent integrated solutions would likely outperform and not only have good DVI support but also better oher overall features. So your money might be better spent elsewhere.

However if you prefer nV there's the GF6200, 6600, 7600GS, and then they start getting rare for things like the GF7800GS etc.
October 5, 2008 1:20:56 PM

Wow, thanks GGA.
I ended up picking up a Sapphire HD3650
Still no picture on anything higher than 600x800.
I just read your post about the AGP hotfix - will look into it now & report.

thanks again
!