4870x2 with PhysX Card???

ik694

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Shot in the dark here, but would it be even remotely worth it to use say a BFG PhysX PCIE card with a 4870x2, or would it be worthless considering how old the PhysX add in cards are now. Also with Vista 64 would you have issues with the latest physics drivers cause they are from Nvidia?

I have seen a magazine review where the guy doing it tried putting a 9800 with a 4870 and it wouldny play at all under both XP and Vista. Nvidia word things so it seems that the cards can be used with any other GPU to perform Physx. I have yet to hear of it working though.
There was talk when the Physx thing first came out that a guy had made the drivers work with ATI cards but i have not heard anything about it fro a while now.

Mactronix

I have the physics card. After you install the drivers ( nvidia ) for the physics processor, you can go to start/all programs/nvidia corp/physics properties and in there there is an option for g-force physics or ageia. I haven't tried it on my 4870 machine yet but you can isolate them if you have the nvidia gpu. It runs better if you don't use nvidia for physics and I think that I might work on a machine with AMD cards. Don't know why it wouldn't.

Did you try contacting either vendor to see if it would ?

You can use a dedicated Ageia based PhysX-PPU card with an HD4870X2 in both Vista and XP, you can only use a geforce GPU card as a PhysX engine only in XP (due to WDDM driver issues in Vista), but you can use it with an HD4870 then.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

The reason for that is driver conflicts. The bloatware (both Catalyst and Geforce) included in driver packages don't play well with each other. Some people had it working just fine, others aren't so lucky. Hardware wise, it's fine.

Also, I believe OP is referring to dedicated Ageia Physx card, not a Nvidia graphics card dubbed for Physx. It will work fine. No conflicts. Use standalone Ageia driver, instead of the Geforce graphics installation bloatware, which may conflict with Catalyst graphics installation bloatware.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocard-Acceleration---PhysX-|-CUDA_c33.html

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
I've heard mix reviews about the Physx card.

I personally don't see why anyone would need it? It doesn't really make games play faster or smoother and its effects are minimal for the price you're paying.

If you have it already, go ahead and use it. It shouldn't cause any hardware problems.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

It's a gemmick. Games that use high amount of physics, like Crysis, run on generic cpu-optimized physics engine instead, and don't even make use of Physx.