Windows Live Sync Alternative - WIndows XP - Support Stopped 3/31

jackp311

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
I have used windows live sync for about 5 years now. I started out using it as foldershare. Well, as of 3/31, MS is discsontinuing it for XP users. Is there an alternative?

I don't need backup or storage.
I just need to sync approx 60GB of files across multiple PC's running XP and have it automatically detect and disburse changes to files.

jackp311

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
It doesn't seem like either of these work through the internet. That was the beauty of Live Sync (Foldershare, really). It just worked no matter where you were. You didn't have to schedule it or anything.

toobs

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2011
I empathise with you Jack. I have been managing a workgroup of 30, plus my personal network via Foldershare/Live Sync since it began.
Refusal to support XP is just another lever for Micro$oft to squeeze everyone to Win7. [after their pathetic flop - Vista, or Festa as it's referred to 'round here.]
Not gunna happen here !
Also note, MS never implemented the imminent improvements that Byte Taxi [aka Foldershare] had in the works. One of these was file locking, another, access control on individual sub-folders (group sharing aspects)

So I have recently been on the hunt for a replacement, just as you have [along with countless thousands, no doubt].
I don't want 'cloud' backup and remote desktops etc.
But unlike you, I do need group sharing with access control.
So ... for your investigation, here's my list:
Dropbox [.com] - simple, have been testing it for my stuff - seems OK
Sugarsync [.com] - complex, but supports groups, but limited security - testing it, syncs OK but sharing is problematic
Zotera [.org] - recommended by a peer - looks good, untested.
ZumoDrive [.com]
Syncplicity [.com]
GoodSync [.com]

That's atm.
Happy hunting Jack
Cheers Bob.

jackp311

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
I still haven't found a good alternative as these systems require a paid membership, as well. It seems that they all limit the size of your data unless you pay. Being that I use this to sync my music and photos, I have 60GB worth of data. I don't want to pay $15 a month for something that used to be free. I wonder why Microsoft is discontinuing it on XP. Force us to upgrade to Windows 7, I bet.

whois101

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Yes, I'm looking too. Same requirements. Although, it would be even nicer if I could include our remote Linux server as the central hub.

While we are upgrading (?) to newer versions of Windows when new machines arrive, there are still a few machines on XP, and we won't - I repeat: won't - upgrade just for Sync's sake. The Windows Live Team has been very out of touch ever since they took this over from ByteTaxi's Foldershare (man, I miss that tool). Windows Live and especially the team behind it is too flaky, not reliable, too risky, not worth it.

samoore

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
This isn't just an XP issue, as I'm on Windows 7 and Windows Live Sync is going away for everyone. It says this on their site:

Windows Live Mesh 2011 is replacing Windows Live Sync, and new users can’t download Sync anymore. In early 2011, this website will be shut down and your files will stop syncing.

I have four machines that I sync up using Windows Live Sync, with 20 different synchronized folders and well over 100 GB of data. I've been raking the net lately for alternatives and can't find any luck. Most will sync folders on a single machine and the only ones I've found that will sync between computers will only do it through Windows Shares or FTP or WebDAV.

I'm looking for a direct alternative to Windows Live Sync, which, for those who aren't familiar, installs on each of your computers that you're syncing and has a website where you sign in using your hotmail or live account and manage your machines. You can easily designate which folders you want to share on which machines, the type of sync you want, as in mirrored or just update one side, and then you're done. The Windows Live Sync program runs in the background on each machine, and as soon as I make a change on one machine, it starts to send it over to another.

Whenever I would have to format a machine I wouldn't back a single thing up thanks to this. I would simply wipe the machine, then install Windows Live Sync and set the folders back up using the simple interface, and they'd transfer all of the data back over for me.

So that's the gold standard and what I'm looking for. I used it between my home machine, my laptop, and two work machines. No matter where I was in the world with my laptop, my data was redundantly backed up using Windows Live Sync, and I would really hate to lose that at the end of this month. Help please!

VA-Cacher

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I am in the same boat as I have between 60-80Gb of data that I currently sync between three computers using Windows Live Sync and previously FolderShare.

Has anyone tried Windows Sync Toy 2.1? Is this a viable alternative?

lanew

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks,

I want to just sync between my desktop and laptop without having to move alll my folders somewhere else, which I think has to be done with Dropbox - does it not?

Anti_Microsoft

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Try Gbridge.
Its a free download here.
http://www.gbridge.com/

Yesterday night, my files stopped working, and I was totally totally pissed at MS for doing this to me.
I installed Gbridge today, and have tested it.
It has worked really well till now, like a breeze.
It doesn't do the cloud thing (i dont care about cloud, I just want to share between two comps).
It has unlimited space, and its free!

Seems perfect. Will let ya know, if I face any problems with it.

I am still mad at MS. What a stupidass company!

lanew

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Looks interesting so far.... please reply and let me know what you think. I'll hold off on downloading until I hear some more....

Thanks for the info!

jhoward15

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

SugarSync and SpiderOak are the only viable alternatives I've found that will allow me to easily sync files over the Internet (but your files are copied to the cloud first). MS Synctoy works well if you are syncing local network files ONLY (I ended up using a combination of both due to a large local sync I have to do). In my case, SpiderOak ended up the winner as SugarSync doesn't allow syncing to external/network drives and only SpiderOak is smart enough to sync from a LAN PC if one is available (vs. always syncing from the cloud). The SpiderOak sync set up is a bit more goofy than SugarSync, but it's still usable. SugarSync has the edge in the mobile app area if that's more important. Finally SpiderOak is cheaper (especially with the SPRING 25% discount code).

VA-Cacher

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

Thanks for your suggestion of GBridge. I downloaded it yesterday but have not yet set up the Auto-Sync. Did you delete teh folders on the destination PC before performing your first sync or did you just let the source PC over-write the files on the destination PC?

EntuTeque

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Thanks to everyone in this thread! This has become a headache for me as well and finding an alternative has become a crusade for me (albeit, a seemingly hopeless one). This page was the best information I have found so far. I hope everyone will be faithful to report back as you discover further useful information so that this page can become the defacto source of help on this topic. Thank you again to everyone.

I'm not sure why there hasn't been a slew of companies that have come to the forefront to fill the gap where Live Sync is leaving a gaping hole for XP users. It seems to me that one of the companies that writes Torrent software would jump in here and write a stable peer-to-peer syncing utility.

jhoward15

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

There is also conversation going on over at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Windows-Live-Mesh-aka-Live-Sync-Windows-XP-support-request/136261239742851?ref=ts&v=wall

asifch

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I have also tried numerous alternatives but the one which i find the easiest one to setup and worked great is the IDrive Sync, but there is a limitation of 5GB in the Free account,

Another alternative which is a bit complex to setup, but is free and works great is to use some VPN application like LogMeIn's Himachi to create a Virtual Private Network of all the hosts and then use some simple sync applications like the SyncBack or SyncToy to sync the folders within the VPN.