790I problems

kr1pter

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Hi,
I recieved my replacement board today from XFX and it is brand new with new packaging and etc. Just like when you buy retail. So I install it since XFX found my old 790I faulty and My fans finally turn on on my GTX 280s but there is still no post. So I did what the techs at XFX said to do. Tried the sticks of ram in each different slot still nothing, take the board out and re install it making sure the stand offs are good and tighe and still nothing reseated the CPU with new compound still nothing. Tried an old 8800GTX still nothing. Tried an old board with my CPU and the CPU was fine it posted great. Theres nothing grounding it and when I turn the PC on it turns on as if I were running it normal but with no image on the screen and the power light on the screen is orange instead of blue.

PLEASE help me anyone XFX can't help me your my last hope. :(

Oh and before my problem was my GTX 280s fans weren't turned on with my faulty 790I. This can't be happeing to two brand new boards ecpecially since the replacement is directly from XFX.

I get the normal code FF to.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Do you have both the 20/24 pin and the 4/8 pin power connectors attached to the mobo?

Make sure the power on button is attached correctly. You could also just short the power on pins to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the switch itself

Check the seating of everything

Remove everything but the video card, processor, and 1 gig of ram and then try it again.

kr1pter

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Tried it with 1 g and one video card plus CPU and nothing. All connections are tight and everything is seated properly. I am going to try an out of case set-up and post back

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Ok, a few more things.

-Is the ram you selected compatible with the mobo?
-do you have any other sticks of ram that you know work that you can try?
-Try turning on the system with no ram installed and see if it will give you any beeb codes.
-Could it be that the monitor isn't working? Try your current monitor (and the same cable) on a different computer if you can.

kr1pter

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
The ram is DDR3 and was working fine on the faulty board before it broke down. I have no other ram to try and I have tried with no ram and no beeps at all. The montior is fine because I got signal on my P5K before I sent in the faulty 790I.

kr1pter

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Ok I tried a different processor in an out of case set up and nothing different still no post. Bad board again I guess.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
yea, if your not getting any error beeb codes with no ram in the system then chances are that its a faulty mobo. Sorry to hear that mate

Hope your next mobo works better then this one did. Good luck

kr1pter

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Thx. This is my second board I am having bad luck witht he 790I. I have my thrid one coming already with a new PSU jsut in case. Thanks for your help.