Adding Linksys WRT55AG into bussiness network

Swifty

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
The ideal setup would've been to use a 'Access Point' rather then a 'Router' to integrate into in an exsisting network. However, I am just trying to see if I can get this Router to work current in our current network/domain.

Domain Network - (DLE)
Gateway 162.87.106.1 255.255.255.0
Dns - 162.87.106.5

Linksys Router settings:
Domain: DLESC
Connection type: Static IP
Internet IP address: 162.87.106.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 162.87.106.1
DNS: 162.87.106.5
Lan IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

The reason we wanted to try this router is because we would like to have the DHCP assign a different address range rather then use the 162.87.106.xx because we are running low on addresses. Everything appears to be working, Internet, Logging into the Domain, we can see the intranet, etc. The one thing that we cannot get working is when you go to : My Network, Entire Network, Microsoft Windows Network - then you will see the domain DLE listed, but if you click on that, you don't see all the computers that you normally would if you were on the same network ID. However, you can get to those machines if you know their friendly name or ip address. Is there anyway to get the networked computers to show up in the list? The other thing we noticed is that when your on the 162.87.106.xx network and you can see the computer name logged onto the domain, you cannot get to that computer's resources or shared files. I know that their 192.168.1.x ip isn't being routed, but how can I get that ip range to resovle to the Domain? I'm new at this so any help would be great!

Thanks,

Swifty

riser

Illustrious
For the sharing, install the File and Printer sharing on each computer and then you can share out each computer's hard drive. The computers should show up under My Network Places.

As far as your IP question. Have your Router Obtain an IP address automatically (for the public network [internet]) and then have your server assign addresses using DHCP. You can use any set at this point. The class A 10.x.x.x is reserved strictly for private business use, but the 192.168.x.x also works. Again, you can pick any numbers, but you'll want to have your DNS set up correctly on your server to forward information out to the root dns servers. You might even want to forward all requests to your router and let it determine what to do, but with a larger network that will become a bottleneck at some point.

Riser