PC will not power up, mobo issue????

Hey guys, new to the forum here. Here is the issue. I hooked up a hard drive to my newer pc from an old pc to transfer some files. I got the files transfered over, and started watching a movie and fell asleep. I woke up to a black screen, and computer still running but no response. The PC would not power down from holding the power button down. So, I just unplugged it, then removed the hard drive. The PC will now not boot up at all. Power button gives no response. BUT the lights on the motherboard are still lit up when plugged in. There is a button on my power supply that will manually boot the PC, but once I let go of the button it powers down. I tried taking off the video card, same issue. I installed a new power supply to make sure and its the same results. Is this a motherboard issue, or something more simple that I'm just missing? The board is a EVGA Nforce 680i SLI. I'm running Vista with 4gigs of ram, an intel 2 duo core processor at 2.6ghz (i think). Let me know if I need to put anymore information. Thank you.
10 answers Last reply
More about power mobo issue
  1. Have you tried to reset the BIOS?
  2. I'm not very savvy when it comes to that. It won't even boot so I'm not sure how to access the BIOS or any of that. Any tips?
  3. Dynamo22 said:
    I'm not very savvy when it comes to that. It won't even boot so I'm not sure how to access the BIOS or any of that. Any tips?

Hopefully you have the manual for the motherboard? Generally you remove the battery for a few minutes and then switch a jumper to reset the BIOS. So do you have the manual? I'm sure you could find the .pdf online..
  4. Okay, ill find the info online to do so. will i wipe anything off my system in doing this?
  5. It just resets everything in the BIOS to default settings. Here's the link to the .pdf . All you should have to do is change the jumper over for a second or two, then put it back to its original position.
    http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/122-CK-NF68.pdf
  6. Okay, thank you for finding that .pdf. I really appreciate that. I will try the reset and let you guys know how it goes. Thank you for your help.
  7. Okay I tried to reset the BIOS, but still nothing doing. No booting what so ever. But the manual button on the back of the PSU fires things up, but I get no display or anything. When I take my finger off the button, turns off. Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this?
  8. Strip everything out of it except the mobo, PSU, VGA, CPU and RAM and try to boot. The last step is to try to build same on some card board and check for a short, but I don't think that's your problem.

You may just have a bad mobo or possibly a bad PSU. Try using the PSU to Power a case fan only, to see if it will stay running. You may need to power a hard drive as well, some PSUs need a 5V load. That won't guaranty that the PSU isn't failing under a higher load but it is a good indicator.

If it's the mobo, then get yourself a P4x series. The 680i is plagued with problems.

nVidia, fix the 680i chipset! Petition
  9. Taking to get it fixed. The LED post code was reading 6 and what looks like a backwards nine. Which are odd codes because I can't find them in the manual....any takers on that?
  10. i'd say the mobo or vidcard died
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Hard Drives