Sign in with
Your question

SATA 6Gbps

Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2010 8:06:26 PM

I am thinking of buying the gigabyte ex58a-ud7 with sata 6gbps and am wondering when ssd drives will be sata 6gbps capable. i know micron have made one but i would prefer an intel or ocz, just wondering if anyone knows ANYTHING about sata 6gbps and what the pros and cons are of buying a motherboard with this capability now (bottlenecking, less compatibility with future products etc).

Thanks

More about : sata 6gbps

a c 415 G Storage
February 10, 2010 8:32:36 PM

The consumer-grade drives from OCZ and Intel don't have transfer rates that exceed SATA Version 2 (3GBits/sec) right now, so there's really no need for them to use SATA Version 3 right now.

I'd guess that they'd start using SATA Version 3 with the next generation of products, which for Intel will likely be announced in the fall. There still may not be a reason for them to use SATA 3, but it's likely that everyone in the storage industry will shift to the newer generation of chipsets whether it's required or not (just like hard drives now use SATA 2 even though SATA 1 is sufficient for most of them).
a c 127 G Storage
February 11, 2010 3:22:06 AM

Wait until intel releases its new controllers - since they beat pretty much every SSD on the market in random IOps, i'm guessing the next generation will make sure Intel is associated with performance.

The Sata 6Gbps also brings improvements to command buffering, which can enhance random IOps scores significantly.
Related resources
February 13, 2010 1:14:23 PM

right i see. Because i know that there is an improvement (although only marginal in real-time) from using a sata 3 connection to a sata 2 ssd but i am just wondering whether its worth waiting for a ssd sata 6gbps or just sticking with maybe ocz collosal 1tb ssd with sata 3gbps / sata II because i don't want to fork out for a motherboard with all these features i won't use.
a c 127 G Storage
February 14, 2010 5:16:24 AM

If you want speed, the only thing you have to look for is the controller.

Right now, Intel (3Gbps) and Sandforce (6Gbps) are competing, but Intel is still doing better in the random access benchmarks. These are most important for a system disk. The 6Gbps bandwidth will only be used for 'dumb' copy tasks. The REAL performance (4k random read) is something like:

0.5MB/s Velociraptor
1.5MB/s Fastest 15.000rpm SAS HDD
2.0MB/s SSD with JMicron/Samsung controller
20MB/s SSD with Indilinx controller
55MB/s SSD with Intel controller

As you can see, system drive performance doesn't even need SATA300 yet; the 150MB/s bandwidth that SATA150 offers is enough for these kind of use cases.

As most people understand nothing about true I/O performance, the marketing concentrates on the biggest (but often meaningless) number. 500MB/s burst rate would mean nothing, it can be the fastest SSD ever or the slowest SSD ever; these MB/s scores are totally irrelevant for the function of the SSD: acting as system drive to handle random access.

However, with 1TB SSDs, its possible to use them as mass-data storage, though very expensive and without really gaining anything. Its not like playing your .mp3 or .avi goes better; any drive can do 0.1MB/s sequentially.
!