I'm pretty sure this is wrong...

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
So I have 4gb of DDR2 800 ram, but when I go to use CPU-Z, my ram shows up as this:
memoryfrequency375.jpg

Shouldnt that be 400mhz rather than 375mhz??? This is using the default settings in the bios AND when I manually set the memory setting to 400mhz...

And when I set the memory to 333mhz in the bios, this is what I get:
memoryfrequency333.jpg

Why do some of the settings change (like fsb:ram and command rate) when I switch to 333mhz?

Solution
Under CPU-Z notice the section that says

FSB:DRAM CPU/9

Basically you have an older Athlon 64 CPU. With those, the memory controller divides the CPU speed by some number to get the highest number that is at, or just below, the selected memory divider, assuming a default FSB anyway.

Your RAM speed is your CPU speed divided by 8. Since your CPU is at 3.0GHz when you set your RAM speed to DDR2 800, the CPU memory controller selects a divider of 8 which gives you 375. When you select DDR 667, it goes to a divider 9 which give you 333. If the CPU used a divider of 7 your RAM speed would be like 428MHz, which is of course over the rated 400MHz

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Did you do any research before attempting to change any of the settings? Did you read the OVERCLOCKING STICKY in the Overclocking section to help educate you before you attempted to change settings?

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
well actually im not trying to overclock the ram...just realized i put this in the wrong section...sry....i just want my ram to run at its full speed...all the settings in my bios are set to auto...and when i choose to manual set the speed, it gives me the option to set it to 200mhz, 333mhz and 400mhz...when i choose 333mhz, it actually shows up correctly in cpu-z but when i choose 400mhz, it doesnt...

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Yes, I understand that. You should read the sticky in the overclocking section to gain an understanding on what you are exactly trying to do. It is very informative and you may learn a thing or two. After you have read it, come back and we'll be happy to answer all of your questions fully. A little work on your own can be rewarding. :)

Under CPU-Z notice the section that says

FSB:DRAM CPU/9

Basically you have an older Athlon 64 CPU. With those, the memory controller divides the CPU speed by some number to get the highest number that is at, or just below, the selected memory divider, assuming a default FSB anyway.

Your RAM speed is your CPU speed divided by 8. Since your CPU is at 3.0GHz when you set your RAM speed to DDR2 800, the CPU memory controller selects a divider of 8 which gives you 375. When you select DDR 667, it goes to a divider 9 which give you 333. If the CPU used a divider of 7 your RAM speed would be like 428MHz, which is of course over the rated 400MHz

Solution

TRENDING THREADS