forzaitalia94

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Hi.

recently i smelt a burning smell coming from my computer and i assumed it was some dust on a hot component so i cleaned all the dust out of my pc. After thatr i powered it on and didn't smell it for a while, when i was downloading a torrent i heard a click from my pc and it just shut off, so i tried to power it back on and when i pressed the power button the two light s on my case(power and HD activity) just flashed for a fraction of a second and nothing would power on so i turned off the power in case something else bad happened. i took the PSU out and i smelt it and it had a foul smell of burnt plastic or rubber so i assumed something had burnt out inside it or it had burnt out itself.
My SYSTEM:
GA-P35-DS4 motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz from 2.4GHz
4GB KINGSTON DDR2 Ram
nVIDIA 8500GT Graphics card
1x Seagate Barracuda 320GB HD
1x Seagate barracuda 80GB HD
Thermaltake Soprano silver case w/XP8550NP 450W PSU
Gigabyte TV Tuner card
ASUS DRW-BLTxx DVD Drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also how do know if any of the other parts in my computer were affected??? (hopefully not)

THNX

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Sounds like you had a PSU burnout for sure. As far as what else could be affected, there's no way to tell for sure. You could look around your motherboard to see if there are any charred components, but the only way to know for sure is to get your hands on another PSU and try it.