Consumers and HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 29, 2004 10:04:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

<http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041119/to190_1.html&gt;

"But HDTVs are not yet in the consideration set of
mainstream America. Nearly three-in-four say that HDTV is
much too expensive for them to consider purchasing right now
(72%, down from 76% two years ago). Other research we've
conducted shows that HDTV purchase intent is flat, with 13%
of Americans 'very' or 'somewhat' likely to buy HDTV in the
near term, vs. 15% last year."

Kirk Bayne
alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
<http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm&gt;

More about : consumers hdtv

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:05:00 AM

K. B. (hotmail.com@lis2lis2) wrote in alt.video.digital-tv:
> <http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041119/to190_1.html&gt;
>
> "But HDTVs are not yet in the consideration set of
> mainstream America. Nearly three-in-four say that HDTV is
> much too expensive for them to consider purchasing right now
> (72%, down from 76% two years ago).

It's odd, then, that the majority of TVs over 32" in size being sold
in the US are HDTV-ready, and just try and find a TV larger than 36" that
*isn't* HD-ready.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/TreeChainsaw....

K. B. wrote:

> <http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041119/to190_1.html&gt;
>
> "But HDTVs are not yet in the consideration set of
> mainstream America. Nearly three-in-four say that HDTV is
> much too expensive for them to consider purchasing right now
> (72%, down from 76% two years ago). Other research we've
> conducted shows that HDTV purchase intent is flat, with 13%
> of Americans 'very' or 'somewhat' likely to buy HDTV in the
> near term, vs. 15% last year."

Toshiba has announced that Paramount, Universal, Warner Bros., and New
Line Cinema will be supporting their HD-DVD format, with software and
hardware to be introduced late 2005.

Even now, a high-quality progressive-scan DVD player is more than
sufficient reason to purchase an HDTV set. And prices are much lower
than just a few years ago.

C.
November 30, 2004 12:39:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

>> I haven't seen a good HDTV replacement for the TV+VCR setup of the
>> 80's yet. It needs to be able to record and play back shows from
>> an ANTENNA on whatever media, preserving the quality of the picture
>> reasonably, and work at least as (in)conveniently as swapping tapes.
>> Where are the DVRs that work from an antenna (not satellite dish
>> or cable)? The old TV+VCR setup also had two tuners, one in the
>> TV and one in the recorder.
>
>You need to look around more. I have an ATI HDTV Wonder card($180) in my pc.
>This allows me to view, record and pause live HDTV/w digital surround sound,
>from an antenna, and edit then burn what I want to keep to a DVD. DTV is

So does anyone package this kind of setup so that someone in my
family other than the computer geek (me) can use it?

>much better and HDTV is much much better quality than analog TV let alone
>VHS.

The issue here isn't picture quality (High Definition Jerry Springer
is not necessarily an improvement over SD Jerry Springer), but in
being able to watch shows that are broadcast at inconvenient times.

>I can also do this from my cable input too (analog). No waiting for
>tape to wind. I get free TV schedules from the internet. It's a mini home
>theater. True this isn't as simple as a TV+VCR but it will do so much more
>faster and better its worth it. DVD burner-hard drive-tuner appliances are
>available that will do much of this but I haven't really looked at them.
>http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/index.html

The major problem with this is that it needs the Internet to get
guide data, and it runs on an OS so insecure I wouldn't dare put
it on the Internet for the time required to download a critical
security patch. Does it have drivers for another OS?

Gordon L. Burditt
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:02:38 PM

"Gordon Burditt" <gordonb.x9hmg@burditt.org> wrote in message
> >> I haven't seen a good HDTV replacement for the TV+VCR setup of the
> >> 80's yet. It needs to be able to record and play back shows from
> >> an ANTENNA on whatever media, preserving the quality of the picture
> >> reasonably, and work at least as (in)conveniently as swapping tapes.
> >> Where are the DVRs that work from an antenna (not satellite dish
> >> or cable)? The old TV+VCR setup also had two tuners, one in the
> >> TV and one in the recorder.
> >
> >You need to look around more. I have an ATI HDTV Wonder card($180) in my
pc.
> >This allows me to view, record and pause live HDTV/w digital surround
sound,
> >from an antenna, and edit then burn what I want to keep to a DVD. DTV is
>
> So does anyone package this kind of setup so that someone in my
> family other than the computer geek (me) can use it?

It's not too dificult to operate but setting it up can be a PIA. I assume
one of the appliances would be the way to go for non techies.

> >much better and HDTV is much much better quality than analog TV let
alone
> >VHS.
>
> The issue here isn't picture quality (High Definition Jerry Springer
> is not necessarily an improvement over SD Jerry Springer), but in
> being able to watch shows that are broadcast at inconvenient times.

Most HD content is primetime and weekend. Naturally their is a record
function. I watch racing. Being able to jump through commercials and yellow
flag laps with the PVR is quite a time saver.

> >I can also do this from my cable input too (analog). No waiting for
> >tape to wind. I get free TV schedules from the internet. It's a mini home
> >theater. True this isn't as simple as a TV+VCR but it will do so much
more
> >faster and better its worth it. DVD burner-hard drive-tuner appliances
are
> >available that will do much of this but I haven't really looked at them.
> >http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/index.html
>
> The major problem with this is that it needs the Internet to get
> guide data, and it runs on an OS so insecure I wouldn't dare put
> it on the Internet for the time required to download a critical
> security patch. Does it have drivers for another OS?

You can get Linux drivers for their graphics card but I don't know about
Multimedia functions. The card has only been out about 3 months. I connect
through a ($40) Linksys router and keep the LAN card turned off when not
actually connecting. This also keeps it from interupting the computer. The
computer that has the HDTV Wonder in it is dedicated for video only. I don't
even run anti virus software on it. I try to keep it as free as I can.
Anonymous
December 2, 2004 5:10:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Gordon Burditt wrote:
[snip]
..

> I haven't seen a good HDTV replacement for the TV+VCR setup of the
> 80's yet. It needs to be able to record and play back shows from
> an ANTENNA on whatever media, preserving the quality of the picture
> reasonably, and work at least as (in)conveniently as swapping tapes.
> Where are the DVRs that work from an antenna (not satellite dish
> or cable)? The old TV+VCR setup also had two tuners, one in the
> TV and one in the recorder.

Not sure if they have made ATSC (or DVB-T HD yet) but there are a number of
single and dual tuner, hard disc based PVRs on sale in Europe that come with
digital TV rather than analogue TV tuners. They have the benefit of
recording losslessly the broadcast signal (so replay quality is identical to
live) and there is an over the air 8 day EPG broadcast in the UK - with
other proprietary EPGs also provided via a number of means, which allow for
easy recording scheduling.

They aren't perfect - but they are getting better. Many people are linking
them with standalone DVD recorders for archival purposes. You use the PVR
for general timeshifting and "watch once" stuff - and anything you want to
keep you transfer to DVD (overnight in some cases)

There still aren't many VHS VCRs with integrated digital TV tuners - I think
Daewoo make the only one in Europe on sale? There are loads of PC cards -
and Windows Media Center supports one and two digital tuner card equipped
PCs in its latest incarnation - though it is far from bugfree - and
certainly not offering Tivo-like reliability....

Steve
!