Activation of numeric pad

Each time I start my computer, the numeric pad is disabled. How can I force
my computer to activate the numeric pad of the keyboard each time it start ?
6 answers Last reply
More about activation numeric

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;154529

    to enable NUM LOCK before a user logs on, use the steps below.

    1. Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    2. Navigate to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard.
    3. Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

    --
    Cankat Akdemir
    Author of "Windows XP Secrets"

    "Mark64fr" <Mark64fr@discussions.microsoft.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
    yazdý:81129AF2-641F-4B09-A8F7-8F16D0EF6521@microsoft.com...

    Neil wrote:

    > There can also be an option in the bios

    Yes, but most modern operating systems such as XP and Linux don't look
    to the BIOS for the Numlock state.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Would you care to expound on that very confusing statement?

    Unknown wrote:

    > Would you care to expound on that very confusing statement?
    > "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
    >> Neil wrote:
    >>
    >>> There can also be an option in the bios
    >>>
    >> Yes, but most modern operating systems such as XP and Linux don't
    >> look to the BIOS for the Numlock state.

    I'm sorry, but what is confusing about it? Older operating systems like
    Win9x (and I think ME but am not sure) took the Numlock state from what
    it was set to in the BIOS. XP and Linux do not. That is why you set the
    Numlock state from within the operating system. While you are booted
    into Windows and logged in, press the Numlock key to turn it on (or
    off, depending on your preference) and Windows will remember that state
    the next time you are in the operating system. In Linux, you also set
    your preference from within the operating system. It might differ a bit
    from distro to distro, but for example in SuSE you can use YaST.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Windows will remember the status of Num Lock, and enable it on the next
    boot.

    This is simple...
    If you want Num Lock on, press the NUMLOCK key on your keyboard and reboot.
    If you want Num Lock off, press the NUMLOCK key on your keyboard and reboot.

    In my BIOS; NumLock: [On]. Windows ignores this, it only applies until
    Windows boots.

    This is what controls the Num Lock key in Windows.

    HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Keyboard
    Value Name: InitialKeyboardIndicators
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: 0 or 2
    0 = numberlock off after logon
    2 = numberlock on after logon

    [[Determines whether the NUMLOCK key is on or off when the computer starts.
    The system stores the state of the NUMLOCK key in this entry during logoff
    and shutdown, and then it uses this value to restore the state when the user
    logs on.]]

    [[Change method
    To change the value of this entry, press the NUMLOCK key on your keyboard.]]
    From...
    InitialKeyboardIndicators
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/34674.asp

    Also, this changes the setting for all users.
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard
    Value Name: InitialKeyboardIndicators
    Value Type: REG_SZ
    Value Data: 0 or 2
    0 = numberlock off after logon
    2 = numberlock on after logon

    [[NumLock does not toggle on by default (system-wide), even if you have it
    set in your PC's BIOS, because of XP's multi-user functionality.
    To enable numlock during bootup, you'll need to set the numlock enabled
    option in your bios ]]
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/105.htm#2

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:KiFTe.2965$su7.2277@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net,
    Unknown <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> hunted and pecked:

    Neil wrote:
    > There can also be an option in the bios

    Which WinXP ignores, by design.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

Computers Microsoft Keyboards Windows XP