Activation of numeric pad

September 6, 2005 9:28:33 AM

Each time I start my computer, the numeric pad is disabled. How can I force
my computer to activate the numeric pad of the keyboard each time it start ?

More about : activation numeric pad

Anonymous
September 6, 2005 7:53:55 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;154529

to enable NUM LOCK before a user logs on, use the steps below.

1. Run Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Navigate to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard.
3. Change the value for InitialKeyboardIndicators from 0 to 2.

--
Cankat Akdemir
Author of "Windows XP Secrets"

"Mark64fr" <Mark64fr@discussions.microsoft.com>, haber iletisinde þunlarý
yazdý:81129AF2-641F-4B09-A8F7-8F16D0EF6521@microsoft.com...
> Each time I start my computer, the numeric pad is disabled. How can I
> force
> my computer to activate the numeric pad of the keyboard each time it
> start ?
September 7, 2005 8:37:25 AM

Neil wrote:

> There can also be an option in the bios

Yes, but most modern operating systems such as XP and Linux don't look
to the BIOS for the Numlock state.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Would you care to expound on that very confusing statement?
> Neil wrote:
>
>> There can also be an option in the bios
>>
> Yes, but most modern operating systems such as XP and Linux don't look
> to the BIOS for the Numlock state.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
September 7, 2005 9:19:39 PM

Unknown wrote:

> Would you care to expound on that very confusing statement?
> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> Neil wrote:
>>
>>> There can also be an option in the bios
>>>
>> Yes, but most modern operating systems such as XP and Linux don't
>> look to the BIOS for the Numlock state.

I'm sorry, but what is confusing about it? Older operating systems like
Win9x (and I think ME but am not sure) took the Numlock state from what
it was set to in the BIOS. XP and Linux do not. That is why you set the
Numlock state from within the operating system. While you are booted
into Windows and logged in, press the Numlock key to turn it on (or
off, depending on your preference) and Windows will remember that state
the next time you are in the operating system. In Linux, you also set
your preference from within the operating system. It might differ a bit
from distro to distro, but for example in SuSE you can use YaST.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:19:39 PM

Windows will remember the status of Num Lock, and enable it on the next
boot.

This is simple...
If you want Num Lock on, press the NUMLOCK key on your keyboard and reboot.
If you want Num Lock off, press the NUMLOCK key on your keyboard and reboot.

In my BIOS; NumLock: [On]. Windows ignores this, it only applies until
Windows boots.

This is what controls the Num Lock key in Windows.

HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Keyboard
Value Name: InitialKeyboardIndicators
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: 0 or 2
0 = numberlock off after logon
2 = numberlock on after logon

[[Determines whether the NUMLOCK key is on or off when the computer starts.
The system stores the state of the NUMLOCK key in this entry during logoff
and shutdown, and then it uses this value to restore the state when the user
logs on.]]

[[Change method
To change the value of this entry, press the NUMLOCK key on your keyboard.]]
From...
InitialKeyboardIndicators

Also, this changes the setting for all users.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard
Value Name: InitialKeyboardIndicators
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: 0 or 2
0 = numberlock off after logon
2 = numberlock on after logon

[[NumLock does not toggle on by default (system-wide), even if you have it
set in your PC's BIOS, because of XP's multi-user functionality.
To enable numlock during bootup, you'll need to set the numlock enabled
option in your bios ]]
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/105.htm#2

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.