OCX Vertex Turbo SSD 60GB enough for OS?

XZR

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Hi guys,

Im thinking of installing my OS in a SSD, but the OCZ one is only 60gb and it has better write performance up to 100 mb/s, while intel's X25-M have 80GB but only 70 mb/s write speed.

Which one is better and which one would you choose?

Im thinking of installing os and office in the SSD

sub mesa

Distinguished
MB/s is not important at all for a system disk; its IOps thats important. Intel does a great job there, much better than any Vertex you can find.

Intel X25-M 80GB G2 doesn't have great (and irrelevant) sequential speeds - but it does do very well in IOps performance and that's all you want on your system drive.

Perhaps if you got 1TB SSDs that sequential speeds become important; but not now. Its not suitable as mass-data storage device.

If you're looking at an SSD because you want your system to boot and start applications faster, then you should look at performance metrics in this order:

Random read IOs/sec
Read transfer rate
Random write IOs/sec
Write transfer rate

The first metric is definitely the most important one for boot/load performance. Transfer rates only matter if you're copying or using fairly large files - and even then for the way most people have their systems set up (OS on the SSD and everything else on a another drive) those large files would probably be data files located on a hard drive, so the SSD transfer rates really wouldn't be relevant.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I have win7 ultimate installed w/
avg internet security
winDVD Pro
full adobe production suite cs4
Nero suite 9
Office 2007 full
with the pagefile
plus other apps

and it took up 20.5GB

I move all temp, Documents, and downloads folder to separate HD.
Moving the pagefiles will yield at least 2gb of free space.

also remember disable hibernate, system restore and remove unwanted windows feature such as tablet, drive indexing, msn messager, IE if you using something else and windows games.

Another benefit of a larger SSD drive is longer life.

abit p35
q9950 oc 3.7ghz
ocz agility 60gb
3x 640gb WD raid 0
34gb raptor for Documents
ati hd 4870 and hd 2900xt
corsair 750w
coolmaster 690
LG hddvd, blu ray 16x dvd burner
LG 16x external burner
Liteon 16x burner