Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Intel Active Monitor killed my Dell Dimension 8400!

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Monitors
  • Dell
  • Intel
  • Dimension
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
January 1, 2009 10:52:17 PM

I had a perfectly working Dell Dimension 8400 desktop and decided to put Intel Active Monitor on it to see why the CPU fan was spinning up and making so much noise. I didn't even get through the install before the screen went BLACK. No blue screen of death, just a black screen. At the same time the CPU fan ran so fast that I thought it was going to come out of the back of the case. Before I had a chance to hit the power button the system shut down on me.

I now have a desktop that will barely power up for more than 20 seconds before the CPU overheats and shuts it back down again. Obviously, the Intel Active Monitor software did SOMETHING to either the CMOS or to firmware onboard the Dell to make it non-functional. I've removed the CMOS battery and shorted the pins to reset CMOS with no luck. I've removed all components to force a reset of the config, again with no luck. I even reseated the CPU and put a fresh layer of thermal compound on it to see if that would improve conduction. At this point I'm afraid the only option I have left is to replace the motherboard.

Does anyone know ANYTHING I might try to undo the damage done by the Intel Active Monitor?

More about : intel active monitor killed dell dimension 8400

January 1, 2009 11:00:08 PM

Software did not kill your hardware. It was obviously overheating before you tried to install the software. Did you stop to wonder WHY the fan would go faster? Perhaps because it needed more cooling? As in, the chip was too hot? Open your case up, one of the clips that holds your heatsink into place has come loose, or you're just a lazy slob who's case is full of dustbunnies.
January 2, 2009 12:50:50 AM

I'm an idiot. The Intel Active Monitor *did* cause the system to go black and overheat initially, but I made matters worse by removing the heat sink to reapply thermal compound. The plastic shroud that goes over the heat sink has holes in the top for the heat pipes to stick through...and there are other holes for ventilation. When I put the shroud back on I put the heat pipes through the wrong holes, and when I snapped the shroud to the back of the case it put pressure on the sink, so that it wasn't sitting flush against the CPU.

Thanks for offering a voice of reason.

January 2, 2009 1:07:25 AM

jwanderson said:
I'm an idiot. The Intel Active Monitor *did* cause the system to go black and overheat initially, but I made matters worse by removing the heat sink to reapply thermal compound. The plastic shroud that goes over the heat sink has holes in the top for the heat pipes to stick through...and there are other holes for ventilation. When I put the shroud back on I put the heat pipes through the wrong holes, and when I snapped the shroud to the back of the case it put pressure on the sink, so that it wasn't sitting flush against the CPU.

Thanks for offering a voice of reason.

that would cause the cpu to overheat pretty quickly, causing the system to shut down to prevent damage.