Possible graphics card upgrade

I currently use a 19 inch Yusmart monitor with a DVI Single Link connection to my Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS graphics card. I have just bought a new 26 inch Iiyama monitor which has VGA, DVI and HDMI connections.
Is it worth upgrading my graphics card to one which has DVI Dual Link or a HDMI connection? In other words will there be a significant improvement in picture quality if I upgrade the graphics card or will the difference in quality be negligible?
Many thanks
aw56001 :pt1cable:
9 answers Last reply
More about possible graphics card upgrade
  1. offhand i should think so,i mean, the 8400 probably cannot do the iiyama's native rez,which has to be at least 1600 x xxxx,or better,that is if you want a fast display with no ghosting..:)
  2. I would assume the 26" monitor is 1920*1200 resolution. However, if you're not gaming, the 8400GS should handle that resolution fine. You won't see a significant improvement in picture quality for everyday application uses.

If you're playing games or watching HD video, that's a different story and the 8400GS won't be able to handle HD video at 1080p.
  3. I think negligible
  4. Agreed. That GPU is probably underpowered for a monitor of that sieze. If you are thinking of gaming on that bad boy, you might need to consider some high-end cards, or a dual-GPU solution to really take advantage of it.
  5. He made no mention of gaming, only picture quality

Quote:
    In other words will there be a significant improvement in picture quality if I upgrade the graphics card or will the difference in quality be negligible?

johnyeah said:

If you're playing games or watching HD video, that's a different story and the 8400GS won't be able to handle HD video at 1080p.

And the 8400GS does do HD. worst test I saw showed 43.7% CPU usage on a VC-1 DejaVu Movie

There's also apparently 2 versions of the 8400GS G98 and G86, according to this image

6. Thanks for your replies.
    Sorry, should have said that the new monitor is 1920x1200 WUXGA. The only gaming that I do is pinball and I watch TV programmes recorded to my hard disk and the odd DVD film. Should I leave the 8400GS in until (if?) it packs up and replace it with a newer one?
    Many thanks
    aw56001
  7. Picture quality? You won't see much difference at all quality wise by simply upgrading to a card along the same lines as a 8400 or 8600 series with Dual or HDMI connections.

Now if you are talking about performance, the 8400 is a very weak card to drive a monitor that size at native resolution, if you are a gamer.

For what you are doing, the 8400 is just fine. You'll feel you wasted money if you buy something else.
  8. It'll hold for your uses. Don't worry about replacing it.
  9. Many thanks everyone for your time and comments.
    I will leave the graphics card alone for the foreseeable future.
    Thanks again
    aw56001
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Connection Monitors Graphics