Need help, suck with hardware

Deveak

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
I have a SR2038X Presario media Compaq. (Yes I know compaq sucks, it was a gift) Their website is completely devoid of useful information, my guess is so i can't properly upgrade, they cover hard drive and ram but not the power supply.

http://www.startech.com/item-applications/ATXPW400HPCQ-400W-ATX12V-22-Power-Supply-for-HP-and-Compaq-PC.aspx
Startech says this is compatible but I don't want to pay that much and I need more than 400 watts. Please if you can find something similar on newegg lend me a link, I am tired of my crappy Nvidia 6150 le, and a 300 watt power supply doesn't cut it. Thank you for your time.

You may not need an hp or compaq power supply; I used an old antec 350w on my 6 month old compaq presario with hp motherboard, and left 4 pins open (20 pin atx connector on a 24 pin plug). The price you're paying is ok though, but I would check the shipping weight. I never buy one that is under 4 lbs. If you can order from newegg, they have some deals for cyber Monday; I use fry's electronics which is only 12 miles from my house.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Compaq generall uses standard size power supplys, so you should be able to get any atx psu.

Depending how old it is you might have to pay a premium for one.

Old tech ran more on the 5v rail and newer stuff runs on the 12v rail.

I would read the sticker on your PSU and if the amps on the 5v are hight get a new psu with the same or more on the 5v as you got.

You will also need good amps on the 12v for a new video card if it is PCI-e.