Computer keeps powering off and on then stays on

Gennobi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I'm fixing my best friends computer, and he just spent $1300.00 at tiger direct building this thing. The problem is the thing keeps powering off and on, then the system stays on (for an unknown amount of time). It does this about 9 or 10 times. I don't know why it does this either. I've never really seen a problem like this before. I really don't know what can be causing this.

Ok, here's the specs for the computer.

Motherboard: Asus M3N HT Deluxe
Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9850 black edition
Memory: (2 gig) Corsair xms2 dd2 1066 mhz There's 2 sticks of this.
Graphics Card: (2) Nvidea PNY GeForce 9600GT (SLI configured)
Hard Drive: SeaGate Barracuda 250 GB HDD

Not all Ultras are created equal. Is it an X3?

Yes, try to clear the cmos.

If that doesn't work, try flashing the BIOS. It could just be trying to boot at default settings and failing... BIOS might not recognize that CPU without an update.

Gennobi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
auscanzkus, clearing the cmos and updating the bios did it.

Also, are two 9600GT cards for SLI useful, because I'm getting a lot of feedback telling me that I'm better off with one.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I'm kinda wondering if the Ultra PSU is the problem. Now don't get me wrong, I've had ultra PSU's before and they were actually a good unit for me. But I'm not so sure that Ultra actually has enough juice to push both those cards. Also, do try the bios update. But one quick test for the psu theory, remove one card and see if it still acts that way.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008