What can I expect from a E6550?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey Forum,

So I built a computer while back from parts from a friend. He gave me a ECS 945GCT-M2 along with 2 GB of Corsair Value Ram (DDR2 800 I think) and with it a stock Intel E6550 (never oc'd. My buddy is scared to death of it!) Anyhow long story short I pretty much tossed that setup into a micro ATX case and threw in a DVD RW drive, a Wifi card and a 250 GB HDD (also from my bud) and gave the PC to my parents to replace an aging Sempron (I think it was a 1.4 Ghz model... not sure) but anyhow I recently got an ear full of how it was extreme overkill for a 60 year old public speaker who's main priority is getting Word running, using The Print Shop, and Skype along with a video camera. On occasion my sister will use it to rip DVD's but still, that Core2 might be doing too much.

So I was digging around my parts pile and came across a old Celeron 430. I still even have the crappy aluminum heat sink that came with it. Now I have asked permission to swap out the CPU's and I think I'll be laying claim to this Core2 for another OC'ing project. I'm on a bit of a budget and have to work with next to nothing. So I was thinking I might just replace the Q8200 I have in my rig currently and throw in this little beauty.

I understand for gaming usually a higher clocked dual core will be more effective than a quad core. Unless your playing something like GTA IV or Crysis. Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this particular processor. I will be tossing in into my DP45SG Intel board. At least I will if I can confirm they are compatible. (Just checked, yep. It'll work!)

I would like to get this thing OC'd to 3.5 Ghz stable. Any tips or tricks I should know about? (I've looked around on Google and it seems it can do 3.5 Ghz and be stable, but I always like to confirm with those wiser and more experienced than myself.)

daship

Distinguished
The Sempron you replaced, will be about the same as the celeron. Why upgrade them to something good, and then knock em back down to crap again. They will definitely notice the performance loss.

Dont be selfish. If you want to start a project to learn about overclocking use the celeron yourself, and when you have some $$$ buy a Celeron e3200 it will overclock easier then the 6550 cause it is 45 nm and its the same cpu as core 2s but just has less cache, and it has a 12x multiplier making over clocking really easy.

Why not give the parents the Q8200?

G

Because if a core 2 duo is overkill for them imagine how bad the quad core would be? It would never see beyond 20% use, if that. As for being selfish, no. You don't know me or what I do so I think that's really stupid for you to assume. Hell both my parents have netbooks and think THOSE are fast, when in reality they really aren't. At this point all they are using the "big" computer as a hub for the printer and occasionally surfing onto AOL. Via broadband.

So no, I am preptty sure they WON'T see the difference. Both are in their 60's and as long as it's faster than a Pentium III 1 Ghz they won't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.