Photoshop CS4 and i7 965

bmilos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
All I can say is WOW. This program was one of the major reasons for my new build and I am very impressed. For any Photographers out there looking for a way to spend more time outside and less waiting on CS4, this is the chip. I can't speak for the 920 or 940, but the 965 blew me away.

I timed how long it took to merge 3 10.2mp photographs into an HDR.

It took 12 seconds for them to merge and get to the White Balance slider. Once I clicked OK, 3 more seconds and the image was ready to be touched up.

I am running it at 4.1ghz, but I can assure you that if you're a photographer looking to cut back on time spent waiting for CS4, this is the ticket. Time is money, as you know. This rig will pay for itself. Rates stay the same, but the time spent is cut in half...

Oh sweet technology...

Hope this helps someone looking to find out how to cut back on their wait times...

What settings are you using for 4.1 GHz? I can't seem to get my 965 past 3.9, regardless of whether I use the multiplier or the bclk. I've tried up to 1.375V, though I've settled on 3.73GHz (standard bclk, 28x mult)@ 1.215V as a nice setting that keeps it pretty cool.

It's definitely a massive improvement over my old core 2 duo rig though. Everyone definitely needs an i7 :D

bmilos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I just ran the same test at stock values and it took 17 seconds + 3 more. So, 20 seconds to merge a HDR in CS4 @ stock... Killer speeds.

Yes, all the i7's are fantastic. Go with whatever your budget allows. You'll be pleased. My Mother's been griping about her comp so I am going to grab her a 920 and the cheapest mobo, a 6gb triple channel set, and give her an upgrade for xmas. Seeing as it can fit in her current tower, its a (fairly) cheap upgrade that is like getting a brand new computer.

As for 4.1ghz, I woulldn't call it stable, but it posts, runs super pi and photoshop. My entire watercooling set-up is scheduled for delivery on 12/3 so I am just trying to see what posts and what doesn't. Ill deal with stability once its cool. Not even trying to load it as the temps are way too high.

I was running 30 x 137 @ 1.31250 for this.

Did 16m superpi in 4m18s and the PS run blazing fast...

I also found the basement vcore for 4ghz (30x133) to be 1.26875
This is the lowewst vcore I could get my system to POST.

Hope this helps. What mobo are you running? HSF?

Hmm...

I still can't get the darn thing to post at higher than 29x135 for 3.91 (which it will do at 1.33V). I'm running an Asus P6T and a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120. Temps don't seem to be a problem (though it does get toasty at 1.33V), I just can't get it to POST above that. Of course, it's not like it's slow at 3.7-3.9GHz or anything. I don't have any complaints with the speed, but I would like to push it as far as I can :)

bmilos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Why don't you try the setting you are trying to achieve with the vcore set on Auto. Then step it back 1 or 2 settings at a time until you can't post anymore. That's been my method.

Correct me if I am wrong, but auto won't do anything harmful and as long as it stays around idle, not high temps, so...

The R2E tends to set auto vcore at 1.424

I posted 4.3ghz with 31 x 139 @ 1.42500. idle was around 43c.

ashleylist

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Could your RAM and its voltage be holding you back.

I've read antother thread where incresing the ram voltage sorted a number of stability issues out. though you'll have to be carfull as the I7 have a large built in fault with high voltage RAM. ie it will blow your CPU.

bmilos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I tried your settings and it does run, but when I tried to run 3dMark Vantage, crashola. Is your system crashing under load?

edit: sp

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
^lol. I cant wait til you 2 get some money and you come back blasting about your i7.

@Cjl : Are you still one the stock bios or have you updated to 0905?

0905 is supposed to help majorly in overclocking 4.0+

I got 0905, but I dont have a good cooler so I havent pushed it hard.

right now it is 3.2 and my 1333 ram is running 1600.

bmilos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008

Im waiting for a 16nm version. Only, while I wait, I am blazing away with my i7 965.

I am really tired of the divide going on here. There are those who have made the upgrade and those who haven't. Yes, we have the new fastest processor. We spent our hard earned money (sone probably their parents) and are enjoying/learning our asset.

If you are 'AMD4life', then stay out of the intel CPU forum. Period. We are not miserable with our processors. Besides, I'm sure there is plenty of company for you to share your misery/jealousy in the AMD subsection.

I'm on the stock bios - I'd forgotten to check that. I'll look for the update right now.

bmilos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Nice... Keep me posted about your temps and vcore. I am currently running stock HSF stable at 31x135 @ 3.31685. Temps are a little to high (43c idle, 85c load) but wednesday I will have my GTZ + 1366 plate, so its alllll good.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Lol, if you knew me abit better you'd know I'm not that type of poster... I have a Core 2 Duo Macbook and an Athlon X2 desktop.

bmilos

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Touche. I apologize.

I have done a ton of research and you can imagine the amount of BS I have encountered...