Components for a new system can i assemble it

KimPetersen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I plan on buying parts for a computer myself because i cant find anyone who can do it on the right budget and buying all parts myself is much cheaper (i live in Denmark computer engineers cost a lot) the parts i have found (not bought yet though)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X48 DS4
GPU: Gigabyte Ati Radeon HD4870
HDD: Samsung 750 gb
Case: Antec 900
CPU: Intel E8500 3,16 ghz
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Red Scoorpion
Soundcard: Creative Sound Master X-FI Xtreme gamer
Ram: 4 Gb corsair XMS2
PSU: Corsair 750 watt
Optical Drive: Samsung something not important
Mouse: Razer Diamondblack 3g
Keyboard: Microsoft Reclusa

It all costs about 9000 DKK about 1200 Euros (remember danes pay 25% tax therefore it costs a lot)

BUt with that long list i must admit theoretically i know how to assemble a computer but in realyti i have never tried is it worth trying or should i make someone help me.

KimPetersen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I fortgot to mention that i use my tv as monitor and i use an HDMI cable and if one 4870 isnt enough i break budget and buy an extra and run Crossfire

mark $

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Get a different CPU cooler. Xigmatek S1283 or Sunbeam core contact are highly rated at the moment. Can save a bit of money by getting a P45 board and waiting on the sound card.

That is a solid build! You shouldn't have any problems putting it all together if you are even slightly computer literate. Just make sure to take your time and read the instructions carefully. Some of the most common mistakes are: not plugging in all the power plugs (4/8 pin CPU, 24 pin motherboard, and both GPU connectors), not grounding yourself before touching any electronic device (just touch a metal part of the case), and not setting the correct memory voltage and timings in the BIOS. Gigabyte motherboards have hidden options in the BIOS that are displayed if you press CTRL+F1 when you first get into the BIOS. This will open up the memory timings and some other options.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
You should easily be able to set this up yourself. Most things only fit where they are supposed to go so its pretty hard to mess up if you pay attention. Pay very carefull attention to the power,led,restet, and sound connections (they are basically dip switches with cables attached and those are the ones that can be connected to the wrong place if you are not careful. Pay attention to where pin one is on the MB and orient the digrams properly.

If you can put together such a fine list of parts, you know enough to assemble a pc yourself.
A tv monitor will limit your resolution to something like 1920x1080 at most, and it should be no problem for a 4870.
If your corsair memory is DDR2-800, it should run without adjustments. There is little value in anything faster.
I might defer the sound card, though. Onboard sound is very good, and oem sound cards are sometimes troublesome. You can always add it later.

Download the manuals for the case and motherboard, and read them cover to cover first.
Plan on installing the cpu and cooler while the motherboard is outside of the case. If you use a pushpin cooler, you need to look at the back to see that those pesky push pins are all the way through and locked. If the cooler has a backing plate(which I prefer), obviously you will need to mount it outside of the case. You may also want to install the ram and the cooler fan to the mobo before installing the mobo in the case.
---good luck---

You don't need to worry about memory settings if you get RAM that will run at the JEDEC standard 1.8V. Mushkin makes high quality RAM that meets this standard; hopefully it is available to you.
I'd also wait on the sound card until you've tried the onboard.
Another common mistake is either not using standoffs between the case and motherboard, or putting in extra standoffs where there are not holes in the motherboard. Either will cause a short circuit.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
+1 on the stand off's. They are normally mentioned in the directions and second nature to some of us, but VERY important. I'm glad you brought it up!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yes, you can do it yourself. Read the manual carefully and read some tutorials on the web, or watch some on youtube.

You really should use the optional Crossbow I7751 to install the Red Scorpion-S1283. The push pin mounting system that mimics the stock cooler sucks, especially given the cantilevered design of the S1283.

Most important things to remember:

1. Discharge any static electricity. You don't want to shock your new components .

2. Don't force the CPU in the wrong way. Follow the instructions as to it's orientation.

3. Make sure CPU cooler is placed properly. Don't get dirt on that thermal compound between the CPU and the cooler. Just be careful with it and make sure it's seated properly so it doesn't fall off and your CPU doesn't overheat.

4. Don't force the RAM in the wrong way. Make sure to line up the notch in the RAM with the notch in the motherboard. You don't want to try and force it in backwards only to break something. Also be careful not to damage the heatsinks on your RAM if it has some.

5. Make sure all the power connectors are plugged in properly, and of course don't force anything in backwards.