Core i7 MOBO Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 vs. Asus P6T Deluxe????

wick001

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Looking at these 2 boards for my new i7 build. Can't make up my mind.

Both seem to perform the same. The Giga has better built in sound, more ram capabilities 24gig, etc...

Just can't make up my mind...

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Go with the P6T deluxe, gorgeous board, I think better features and more ROCK SOLID, who needs 24 gigs of ram? haha, Shark

G

Same situation with me. Not able to decide. I think Asus is a bit expensive here in Bangalore . Still not able to decide though!
@wick001 : Have u decided on yours???

I'm running the P6T, and I love it. Excellent board. As for 24 gigs of RAM? You can't even get 4 gig sticks of DDR3 right now, so it's somewhat irrelevant. Between the two, I'd go with the P6T.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Yep, I love this MOBO too. Right on, even if we put DDR3 aside, high end 2GB DD2 like Corsair, OCZ et al is damn good enough with such a processor (& cache) and Vista Business load included :ouch:

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Same situation with me. Not able to decide. I think Asus is a bit expensive here in Bangalore . Still not able to decide though!
@wick001 : Have u decided on yours???

Never buy any high end or new models stuff (including Mobile phones) from the local markets (most of the countries). Best is to get it from someone you know from aboard, say from the United States (UK again is expensive), if possible. Else, be prepared to pay that extra chunk of the price :)

mooks

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I go w/ GIGA EX58-UD4P, this is really a bargain! awosome C/P value, I m quiet like P6T as well but why i just pay more lots for that?

PhxKen

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Asus P6T Deluxe has new competition... "P6T Deluxe V2" has just come out!!! But where is it??? Asus must know their customers, consumers, practically anyone and everybody almost always wants the latest version. V2 on anything typically implies flaws in V1 have been found, fixed, and improvements made. But this has seemingly been "de-improved", as SAS has been dropped. But very little substantive info is available on why V2 has come out. V1, the original, is still the only one available. Asus surely doesn't want to admit to a found flaw, so it drops a feature(s?), adjusts the price, and confuses the market? Yeah, yeah, yeah, SAS has been dropped, supposedly a price drop too, so some posters say, but I can't find P6T Deluxe V2 available for sale yet and it makes me apprehensive as heck, to say the least, to pull the trigger on V1 when V2 may or may not hit Newegg or elsewhere any day now and buying V1 may be buying into a flawed mobo. Plus, raising the suspicions, the P6T Deluxe mobo "only" has a 4 star rating on Newegg with "only" 60% of its 103 reviewers giving it 5 stars. A whopping 15% gave it 1 star, some complaining they want their "trash" mobo replaced with V2 but have no idea how to get it!! 15%! gave it a one star review -- sorry, but that's a pretty significant minority of buyers.

Does anybody have any info on why V2 has been rolled out so quickly... and when it will hit Newegg & elsewhere???? I want to buy it, AnandTech loved it at rollout, but.... WTF???

http://www.asus.com/products_compare_show.aspx?array_model=2746,2593&l1=3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131346

It won AnandTech's Gold Editors Award, Dec 5th, 2008. Silver went to Gigabyte for the GA-EX58-UD5.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3471&p=1

Personally i like the EVGA X58 because of its neater layout compared to the asus and gigabyte equivalents.. But strictly if asked to choose between asus and gigabyte, i would take home an asus any time.. X58 boards are very few right now so you can give each one sufficient time to check out with reviews and pricing (service and availability also of course) and then decide..

oztrodamus

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Not to digress, but I'm a little disappointed with the GA-X58-UD5 board.

I just go this board and immediately I had a problem with the board not being able to properly identify my Western Digital WD2500KS drives. I received an error stating "Device failed to Verify". Luckily I have a Highpoint Rocket RAID 2320 HBA and I was able to circumvent the issue, using it instead of the onboard controller.

I'm debating about whether the board is defective or not, but I did a further test by connecting an old Seagate Barracuda drive and it had no issues detecting. I'm thinking it's a BIOS issue.

dark_knight

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Check your SATA cable. When this happens on my build, I just re-plug the connector towards the mobo then it works again.

My Build (these are all Seagate 1TB drives)

ICHR10:
0: Non-Raid (G:)
1: Non-Raid (H:)
2: Stripe (I:)
3: Stripe (I:)
4: Stripe (J:)
5: Stripe (J:)

GSATA:
0: Stripe (C:)
1: Stripe (C:)
2: Stripe (D:)
3: Stripe (D:)

jeffmcw525

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I purchaced a system from Cyber Power, and these 2 Boards were two options I debated on as well. Since I was on a budget, the Gigabyte was $37 cheeper with a $20 rebate for a $57 savings. I decided to save a buck and roll the dice on the UD5. I couldn't be happier. My system has performed effortlessly, and the sound is fantastic. Hope I was of some help with your selection.