My computer wont boot, it doesnt start,i only got a blank black screen

chalius

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Guys my computer is not responding.the power light is on. the hdd light is on at first but after some few seconds it stops. i dont have an idea about the problem. i tried resetting the cmos,pulling out the memory and video card and checking all the cords.recently i used my computer for an hour then i turned it off. then i opened it again after a while.i noticed that there's something wrong.pls help me.

chalius

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
No beeps, no posts, just a blank screen.nothing happened recently,i just turned off my computer perfectly.no hard shutdowns.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
ok so power turns on, HDD light comes on, but nothing? just sits there? You hear no grinding of HD... does power shutoff automatically or anything?

chalius

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Yes it comes up with nothing.i didnt hear the hd.after turning it on,nothing happens.the cpu fan still spinning.the monitor light just blinks.the mobo has power but it doesnt respond.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
check the connections inside first, Usually this is hardware issue related... could be almost anything, bad motherboard, video display, incorrect power distribution,

chalius

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
ive already checked it,actually i tried to switch its power supply with another,but still i get the same result.i also tried to check the power cables inside,(those that are connected at the hdd, cd rom fdd). i also removed the vcard,i cleaned it and i placed it back.i got same result

sir last week i bought a 500w Power supply to replace my old one. do you think i should consider that as a factor?i dont see that it did a damage to my mother board. it worked perfectly as usual but suddenly it stopped responding.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
WOuld you list specs please, If its not the psu, could be a few things, some people try and reseat the cpu also, sometimes move around the pci cards, is really hard to tell an exact cause without having hands on access...

chalius

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
AMD Sempron (apprx 1G), 512 ram, ATI Vcard, ECS mobo, 500w power supply. im afraid to remove the cpu cause i dont have a thermal paste.

sharken

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
Thats a tough one then, well, its probably not worth the price to take it to a shop... hmmm, did you try moving pci cards around? other than that, Most likely a mobo issue....

arnuld

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
My friend had the same problem 2 years ago and last week, I had the same problem and I found there could be 3 reasons:

1) Try changing the RAM or removing the one if you have 2 RAMs. My friend had this problem. One of the RAMs was dead. If one RAM is not ok, computer will not run.

2) Make sure your MOBO is not getting earthed. One of the reasons is that it is touching the cabinet.

3) your PSU is not giving enough voltage to your MOBO (I had it last week and the PSu was brand new, oops, faulty one I got)

chalius

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
i tried changing the RAM, nothing hapened.i dont think that the psu is the problem,its new and it worked for several days. i also removed the dust from the mobo.i already cleaned it.

chalius

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
guys wait, i thought it was the hdd but its not,sorry for being ridiculous. by the way, i switched everything, but still i get the same result.pls i need another suggestions.

edenrow

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I wish I would have seen this earlier I could have told you that. I always remove every non required boot up device first b4 anything. My friend was having same problem but with a laptop. He replaced ram bios reset pull battery etc. Then finally came to me. I told him what I am telling everyone else. you only need ram cpu pwr sply mobo and some type of video to troubleshoot. If it works after that put one peice back until you find the problem. It helps also if you have a good mobo to tell you whats wrong but most people don't. If anyone has future problems like that hit me up. I don't mind helping. edenrow@gmail.com

SGT MAST
USMC

DVPACE

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

Hi,
Computer worked fine when last shut down. Pushed button to start and all I hear is the fan running, Nothing else. I have one of those dell computers that can lie flat or on it's side. Have had it on it side for 3 years with no problem. After repeated attempts to start, I turned it on the flat side and all of sudden It booted right up.. Now I am afraid to turn it off. Although fortunately I was able to get all my important documents out of the HD. What do you suggest I do? Thanks! I'm fairly computer savy but this one was a new one on me......

giuseppev007

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013

Hi,
have the same problem. psu and fans are all on but no video display.
have removed a few items ie ram, but still same problem.
does anyone have any ideas? i have a Asus P5Q3 Deluxe MB with Intel dual core cpu and eah 4850.