Sign in with
Your question

Blue Orb II on ASRock P55 Extreme?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 5, 2009 11:21:43 AM

I am wondering if a blue orb II cpu cooler will fit on a ASRock P55 extreme motherboard. I am positive that the motherboard supports socket 775...but I'm just a little worried about the dimensions. Specifically, the RAM slots and the blue PCI-E slot.

Thanks
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2009 12:19:40 PM

The Thermaltake Blue Orb II cpu heatsink is supposed to be compatible with the following cpu sockets:

Intel Pentium D (Socket LGA775)
Intel Pentium 4 (Socket LGA775)
Intel Celeron D (Socket LGA775)
AMD Athlon X2 (Socket 939)
AMD Athlon 64 FX (Socket 939 / 940)
AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 754 / 939)
AMD Sempron (Socket 754)
AMD Opteron (Socket 940)

There is no mention of the the newer Intel LGA 1156 cpu sockets.
December 5, 2009 12:32:42 PM

That's not my question though. The ASRock P55 motherboard supports socket 775 cpu heatsinks. My question is referring to the dimensions of the heatsink (and whether it will be a problem for the motherboard). However, I have a Microcenter nearby that has this item in stock. I'm going to test it out, and if it ends up blocking other components I can just return it easily.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
December 5, 2009 3:43:01 PM

OK!

This is a difficult one. The overall diameter is 140mm. If it were 120mm I'd say you'd be okay. The extra 20mm may or may not be a problem.

I was at a local Fry's Electronics store last night. They have motherboards out on display. Some of the motherboards do have very large chipset and mosfett heatsinks. If Microcenter is like Fry's and has the mobo's out on display, then maybe you can check for fit right at the store without buying first. Just explain to the sales clerk you don't want the hassle of buying the blue orb, taking it home to find out it doesn't fit, and then returning it.

!